Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire

Interesting comparison chart of iPad vs Kindle Fire here:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...parison_chart/

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #47
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No it's not. It does not have cameras, gps, etc. It doesn't meet the requirements of an Android tablet.
Whoa whoa whoa, there. Camera and gps are not a requirement for a tablet to be Android. In fact, as far as I know, there IS no set specifications, from Google, for hardware. The lack of a camera and gps doesn't in any way prevent this from being an android tablet...
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, there. Camera and gps are not a requirement for a tablet to be Android. In fact, as far as I know, there IS no set specifications, from Google, for hardware. The lack of a camera and gps doesn't in any way prevent this from being an android tablet...
Whoa whoa whoa my ass. As I said.

The point of this whole thread is about apps for Fire. Because it is very limited in its hardware many apps simply will not work. On top of that the entire reason for it's existence is for Amazon to sell stuff. It is NOT a generic Android Tablet. Yes that's a period.

Google expects many things from a device for it to meet it's optimal requirements -- two of those being a camera, gps, and a gyroscope -- none of which I understand are in the Fire. It is NOT a generic tablet because it is crippled.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-12-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #49
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

That's your opinion, not fact.

I can call these forums 'Gwem's Forums', but that doesn't make it so.

You're stating your opinion as fact, that many apps won't work. BEST case is that you simply cannot say yet -- no one can. Worst case, you're completely wrong, and most apps will work just fine. Given what I know about android in general, I'm going with the second option.

Once again -- read this part carefully, because it seems you're not getting it -- GOOGLE HAS NOT CREATED HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS FOR ANY ANDROID DEVICE THAT REQUIRE GPS AND CAMERA. There are tons of phones without gps, and, though fewer, even some without cameras. Are you telling me they're not android devices?

You're entitled to your opinion. Just don't try to disseminate it as fact. The Fire IS an Android Tablet. Period.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #50
kennyc

Quote:
That's your opinion, not fact.
Right and you're welcome to yours. The fact is that the Kindle Fire is not a generic Android Tablet. It was built and designed with a specific purpose in mind, to sell Amazon media.

You can continue to say otherwise as much as you want, but that FACT won't change. It is NOT a generic Android Tablet, it was never designed to be sold as one any more than the Kindle 1,2,3 were. I suppose according to your definition those are tablets as well.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #51
kennyc

Quote:
..... The Fire IS an Android Tablet. Period.
Now the other part is that you apparently can't read what was written. Go back read again, see what I said. Never one did I say the Kindle Fire is not a Tablet. If I did please point it out.

and yes there are specific requirements for various android devices.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You're stating your opinion as fact, that many apps won't work. BEST case is that you simply cannot say yet -- no one can.
Many apps won't work.

Google Sky Map and Star Chart won't work.

Why?

No GPS.

Google Goggles won't work.

Why?

No auto-focusing camera.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #53
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
and yes there are specific requirements for various android devices.
Enlighten us all with a link. Particularly one that shows the requirement for a gps and camera in order for a device to be called an 'Android Tablet'
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #54
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Many apps won't work.

I did not say every app would work. The issue is whether or not apps can be sideloaded -- not whether or not a non-camera device can utilize a camera-centric app.

This seemed so obvious to me that I didn't feel the need to specify.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Enlighten us all with a link. Particularly one that shows the requirement for a gps and camera in order for a device to be called an 'Android Tablet'
There is all kinds of information at the android developers website. And no I'm not going to argue about those specific items, but I am going to stand by what I said above about the Fire being intentionally crippled and it not being a generic Android tablet. Again I'll suggest you re-read what I said, not what you think I said.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #56
kennyc

Quote:
I did not say every app would work. The issue is whether or not apps can be sideloaded -- not whether or not a non-camera device can utilize a camera-centric app.

Ah there you go trying to shift the goal posts again. Nice try.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #57
gweminence
Fat Guy

Rofl yeah...you won't post a link to any spec-set that states that Android devices must include gps and cameras, simply because there is no such link in existence.

You're an idiot, and I'm bowing out of this conversation. I feel guilty arguing with someone so clearly mentally deficient.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:

Don't say "many" next time.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #59
kennyc

Quote:
Rofl yeah...you won't post a link to any spec-set that states that Android devices must include gps and cameras, simply because there is no such link in existence.

You're an idiot, and I'm bowing out of this conversation. I feel guilty arguing with someone so clearly mentally deficient.
Come back again, many such trips are possible.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Google expects many things from a device for it to meet it's optimal requirements -- two of those being a camera, gps, and a gyroscope -- none of which I understand are in the Fire. It is NOT a generic tablet because it is crippled.
A rooted Nook Color doesn't have a camera, gps or gyroscope.
Does that mean it isn't an Android tablet?
What is it then?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, kindle fire