Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does note taking with a tablet make you more productive?

Aside from portability, does note taking with a tablet make you more productive especially if you are a student or an office worker? Or does it have its own problems that you wouldn't have with a traditional pen and paper?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Well, doodling, is a lot more difficult with a tablet. This seems silly, but the mindless hand activity helps me absorb the information presented, and sometimes the doodles are actually a part of my note taking. With a keyboard, i find that I'm so busy trying to 'capture' words and ideas that I don't have time to actually make the information my own.

I'd rather type up the contents of my notes after the meeting or class situation.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Aside from portability, does note taking with a tablet make you more productive especially if you are a student or an office worker? Or does it have its own problems that you wouldn't have with a traditional pen and paper?
Both methods have their own problems, but both should make you more productive all other things being equal.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Depends on the note-taking software. If your software offers an email option, you can take notes, email them to yourself, and copy them to a word processing program for final editing.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can type far faster than I can write by hand, even on the on-screen keyboard of a tablet. When I'm doing serious note-taking on my iPad, though (as I do, for example, when I take notes at the lectures of my local Egyptology society) I use an external Bluetooth keyboard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have actually timed myself taking notes and I can write faster on my phone or tablet with a swipe keyboard than I can hand write.

As a bonus, I can also actually read my notes when they aren't in my own handwriting...

Another benefit with digital notes is they are instantly searchable and sharable. I put all my notes in OneNote so I can access them from any device.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The only time I take notes on a regular basis is in church. I'm pretty fast with a sharp pencil and piece of paper. I'd be much slower using an onscreen keyboard, even on my iPad Pro. With a regular physical keyboard I'd probably be pretty fast, but that's not convenient in a quiet church setting.

My note taking ability is also effected by the person who is speaking. The more organized the speaker, the better my notes.

I believe I remember what I've written down also, which isn't so true when I type.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Depends on the note-taking software. If your software offers an email option, you can take notes, email them to yourself, and copy them to a word processing program for final editing.
This is what I used to do when I was still working, but instead of a word processor, they would get copied directly to patient files. It was a time saver for me. I had to export to email, but that wasnt a hardship. It was the first generation of ipad so note taking stuff wasnt as sophisticated as it seems to be now.

It was bad enough that I had to go to meetings which droned on and on and on, without having to take notes by hand and then copy those to where they needed to be.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:51 AM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have a couple of Android tablets and an Android phone that's no longer in service. I find it convenient to use the voice-to-text feature (click the microphone icon on the keyboard) to record notes on the go that can be imported into text editors and word processors. This is especially convenient with the old cell phone, since it can easily be carried in my pocket.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Depends a great deal on the tablet and pen too. A Surface pro or a Yoga or any top end tablet with an N-trig or Wacom digitizer, using an active stylus pen with pressure sensitivity, is a million miles away from whatever you get on a low-end tablet using a capacitive pen. One is pretty indistinguishable from writing on paper, once you get the hang of it, except you get instant ocr and all the benefits of online note-taking tools, like syncing your notes to audio/video recordings etc. The other is like taking your notes using a stick in wet sand.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote