Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #31
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just want to open the app, select the file and hit send and on the receiving device have the app open and press receive. Anything else it not user friendly enough. I don't want to jump through hoops. ES File Explorer added sender to replace this feature which had a huge impact on me removing the latest version.

Sent from my Nexus 7
So try it. I think you just have to turn the feature on, then works more or less as you say. If how you get to the option isn't user friendly enough, guess you'll need to learn to code, and make it just the way you want
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #32
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So try it. I think you just have to turn the feature on, then works more or less as you say. If how you get to the option isn't user friendly enough, guess you'll need to learn to code, and make it just the way you want
I think I'll pass it's​ still a bit unpolish for my use on a few other features I just noticed. I prefer user friendly apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #33
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Just curious, if ES file Explorer worked so well for you, why not buy the pro version? It does not have all those ads...

Alvin
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #34
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Hi hapmas77,
I don't mind buying apps or paying for subscriptions, but the changes made to ES Explorer seemed pretty suspicious to me that it was introducing a lot of malware, it wasn't the ads, it was tasks it performed without being asked for.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #35
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
Hi hapmas77,
I don't mind buying apps or paying for subscriptions, but the changes made to ES Explorer seemed pretty suspicious to me that it was introducing a lot of malware, it wasn't the ads, it was tasks it performed without being asked for.
Yup, that, and also some of the ads were implimented as fake system alerts, designed to mislead.
I don't reward them for that sort of behavior.

Last edited by ApK; 05-09-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
Just curious, if ES file Explorer worked so well for you, why not buy the pro version? It does not have all those ads...

Alvin
They were sold to a Chinese company that is known for malware. Diaxthin I think I spelled it right is installed along with it. They are not trustworthy. The paid version does not remove all advertising just unlock features that you can only get by installing apps they promote. Then there is all the background stuff is now does. I think it's safe to call it a data mining app. It's horribly bloated on top of that. Sender does not work well half of the time. They have essentially killed the app with every update.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What everybody else said.

It was not the fact that the free version had ads. It was the potential malware, the fake system alerts, and the pervasive notifications in general (even though they COULD be turned off, it was made difficult to do so) that turned me away from ES in the long run. Even if the paid version eliminated some of those issues, I don't reward bad behavior. The bottom line for me is that I no longer trust the development team or their product.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-09-2017 at 01:23 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I've deleted ES File explorer long ago. On my tablet I have a very simple file explorer called Sliding Explorer. It's quite nice, but seems to have disappeared from the Play Store. Not sure why.

I only use a file explorer to move files around within the device. If I want to send from my device to my PC, I either stick the files in Google Drive or plug the device in to my PC and use Windows file explorer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Just a little note for anyone getting rid of ES File Explorer..it leaves a bunch of junk all over the place. You will need to delete any folders with estrongs and a folder called dianxin once uninstall.
Thank you for that. I deleted them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #40
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
One, it's not free and two, there is no copy or move options. You have to copy and paste files. I finally figured out how to get a single column​ but no copy or move is a deal breaker.

I've been trying various ones. I've settled on two to try out, ASUS File Manager which is really nicely done and File Expert HD which I've used in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 7
It's always had copy/move. Swipe left or right to switch to the other "window" then navigate to your location. Select files you want, then press the large -> or <- button at bottom right (new UI) or long press and select copy... or move... (old UI)

Quote:
It seems decent but I see no way to access network shares with it. Solid Explorer also has this problem.
Solid supports smb, (s)ftp, and webdav and a bunch of file sharing services ( Dropbox, Google drive, one drive, etc).

After trying out a few, solid is the one I like best. The new overhauled UI is much improved.

No idea how well it works on e-ink, however. And it is a paid app (well worth the $2) so you need Google store or some other stores installed.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It's always had copy/move. Swipe left or right to switch to the other "window" then navigate to your location. Select files you want, then press the large -> or <- button at bottom right (new UI) or long press and select copy... or move... (old UI)

Solid supports smb, (s)ftp, and webdav and a bunch of file sharing services ( Dropbox, Google drive, one drive, etc).

After trying out a few, solid is the one I like best. The new overhauled UI is much improved.

No idea how well it works on e-ink, however. And it is a paid app (well worth the $2) so you need Google store or some other stores installed.
I've tried it again once I found it does do LAN, App backup and ftp. I agree it seems to be best ES File Explorer replacement out there.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #42
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've been using ES Explorer for quite a while but I haven't had much luck connecting to my Windows 10 computers. It was the same with Windows 7 and 8.1. I do have an old XP computer on my network and I can connect to it reliably but to the others I can only connect every now and then, maybe 5% of the time or less.

I'm pretty sure it's because I don't know how to set up SMB properly in Windows, although I'm not positive of that. All my Windows computers can connect to one another as can my old Windows Phone. But from Android connections are rare.

Can anyone give me some idea where to look for an answer to this? I'd really like to do it...
I have had no problem with Windows 10 if password protected sharing is turned off on the PC.

However, with Windows 10 if one has password protected sharing turned on on the PC (Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre>Advanced sharing settings) and you cannot get to the PC with your usual Windows login details (whether a Local or Microsoft account) in the device's file explorer app's LAN setup then the following solves one common problem and works for me and others.

When one enters one's logon details into the LAN setup in the device file explorer app (I use X-plore) after scanning for the PC, or just entering it manually, go to C:\Users\{your username} and identify your {username} used there and use that in the device's LAN setup, not the username of your Windows account. If that doesn't work then try using just the first 5 characters of {username} i.e. usern.

If that does not work try using just the first 5 characters of your PC account username instead - this should not be necessary in Win 10 though. If that doesn't work then open the PC Command Module and type whoami and hit enter ENTER - use the username it comes up with (or try the first 5 characters of it) if it is different to any of the above.

If works, save it and have a beer :-)

I think, from memory and in case useful to others, Win 7 is the same as the above but I have no Win 7 machines left to check on now.

Usually, I use a cable :-(.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 05-11-2017 at 12:00 AM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #43
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Quote:
They were sold to a Chinese company that is known for malware. Diaxthin I think I spelled it right is installed along with it. They are not trustworthy. The paid version does not remove all advertising just unlock features that you can only get by installing apps they promote. Then there is all the background stuff is now does. I think it's safe to call it a data mining app. It's horribly bloated on top of that. Sender does not work well half of the time. They have essentially killed the app with every update.

Sent from my XT1528
I see, and I agree that it raise concern on the trustworthiness of the Company.
I had the same problem with ES File Explorer some time ago when they started adding those ads and unwanted features. However, when I purchased the Pro version, I was happy to inform that there was none of the unwanted apps, features and ads. It worked like the 'normal' ES File Explorer that I have been using and liked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	esf1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	156654   Click image for larger version

Name:	esf2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	156655   Click image for larger version

Name:	esf3.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	156656  
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #44
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
I see, and I agree that it raise concern on the trustworthiness of the Company.
I had the same problem with ES File Explorer some time ago when they started adding those ads and unwanted features. However, when I purchased the Pro version,
...and that's how spammers and scare-ware makers stay in business.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...and that's how spammers and scare-ware makers stay in business.
Yep. Scare-ware, ransomware--call it what you will. They're banking on the idea that users who were comfortable (or dependent upon) previous friendly versions of the software will be more willing to spend a few bucks to set "things right again" rather than defect to other products.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote