Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #196
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
@BR - As we discussed last time (not trying to belabor the point--just documenting it as I remember it), saving the sorts that are currently in effect is what I think it should do.

You can always explicitly set your sorts by editing the View in the config dialog. You can even clear the sort history by using a View with no columns selected in sort.

@Terisa de morgan - Yes, to clear a search/restriction/VL when selecting a new View, you check the Apply checkbox while leaving the dropdown empty in that View's config. That's the existing behavior, my changes don't effect it (except for adding VL, of course).

To me, that's the desired behavior. If I have a search/restriction/VL up and I switch between my 'Wide' (for full screen) and 'Narrow' (for everyday use) Views, I don't want those changed. For people who do, that's why the checkboxes are there.

Would it be better if there was text explaining that in the tooltips? Or even a new label?

I'm unaware of any case where VM could modify an existing search. It should only replace it or leave it.

Thanks to both of you for your interest and input.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #197
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@BR - As we discussed last time (not trying to belabor the point--just documenting it as I remember it), saving the sorts that are currently in effect is what I think it should do.

You can always explicitly set your sorts by editing the View in the config dialog. You can even clear the sort history by using a View with no columns selected in sort.
My usage of VM is strictly set-and-forget, never occurred to me that folks would use the configuration as 'interactively'.

Rather than going into configuration to 'clear' a SS, VL, or ASR selection, would it be better to have a Clear current selection option in the plugin's drop down menu. It could avoid the confusion I had.

Code:
Clear current selection->Saved search
                         Virtual library
                         Additional search restriction  
Many people don't read or can't 'get' the tooltips. When warranted I copy them into the clipboard (via Textify) so I can read and re-read until I do 'get' it

I'll re-brand the current version as Book List Manager and stick with it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-19-2017 at 05:58 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #198
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While swapping out the 'apply' checkboxes for new "Don't change" and "Clear" options in the dropdowns would maybe be less ambiguous, it would be either non-backwards compatible or bend over backward for backwards compatibility.

I don't think it's that confusing to want to do either.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #199
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JimmXinu - you're right it's too late, I never used the existing SS and ASR options, so I'd forgotten the check boxes were even there.

The check box and selectors should at least have different tool tip text, that they were the same is what confused me. Maybe put a heading above the check boxes and selectors, something like 'Clear' (if that's what they're for) and 'Apply'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 AM   #200
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I tried using the plugin on a different library and got the following error:

Code:
calibre, version 2.70.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>UnboundLocalError</b>:local variable 'apply_virtlib' referenced before assignment

calibre 2.70 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Count Pages (1, 7, 0) && Import List (1, 1, 5) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && User Category (1, 5, 3) && Save Composite Custom Columns (1, 1, 0) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && View Manager (1, 4, 2) && FanFicFare (2, 12, 3) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && Edit Columns (0, 0, 1) && Tanja's Tools (0, 0, 6) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 69)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.view_manager.action", line 280, in show_configuration
  File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 155, in do_user_config
  File "calibre_plugins.view_manager.__init__", line 62, in config_widget
  File "calibre_plugins.view_manager.config", line 490, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.view_manager.config", line 564, in select_view_combo_index_changed
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'apply_virtlib' referenced before assignment
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #201
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
@Terisa de morgan - Yes, to clear a search/restriction/VL when selecting a new View, you check the Apply checkbox while leaving the dropdown empty in that View's config. That's the existing behavior, my changes don't effect it (except for adding VL, of course).
Thank you very much, I didn't know this was the behavior as I've begun to use the restrictions very few time ago. For me, this is totally right, I've already modified my views in that way, so thank you again for a very useful plugin. (And yes, I'm using the beta you've attached and no problem at the moment).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #202
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Test version with:
  • Fix for new-used-before in library.
  • More disambiguation of settings.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 05-12-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions
Old 06-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #203
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Test version with:
  • Fix for new-used-before in library.
  • More disambiguation of settings.
Soooo..... The additional disambiguation--improvement or more confusing?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #204
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@JimmXinu - my feedback

Quote:
More disambiguation of settings.
I think it's better, but as previously indicated I will be using the old version, so my opinion doesn't count. TdeM indicated in another thread she would be away from her calibre machine until Friday.

Quote:
Fix for new-used-before in library.
Don't know what this is, so can't comment.

Ah-ah - I guess it's the problem reported by Tanjamuse.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-23-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: in red
Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #205
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not a lot of time at my computer out of work now and I had missed this. The concepts are quite clear for me now, with the new wording.

Just a question, is there the possibility of translating this plugin? As I'm using quite a lot now, I would like to translate it to Spanish if it is possible (A peeve of me but...)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #206
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Thanks!

Translation is possible, but it's a bit more than I want to attempt just now.

Unless there are any other concerns left, I'm going to ask Kovid to release this version.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #207
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

This post is to accumulate the different changes in one place for easy grabbing.

Index entry:
Spoiler:
[*]View Manager
UI plugin to define your own easily switchable column views with sort orders and search restrictions.
Particularly useful to quickly restore your preferred sort order with a keyboard shortcut.
Version: 1.4.3; Released: 06-24-2017; Calibre: 1.48.0; Author: kiwidude; History: Yes;
Platforms: Windows, OSX, Linux; Donate: PayPal

First post:
Spoiler:

This plugin allows you to easily switch between different views of your library. A view can consist of a combination of columns to be displayed in a certain order, with optional additions of a specified sort order, search restriction and/or saved search to be applied when the view is selected.

Example usages:
  • When performing certain tasks like editing metadata you want different columns visible.
  • You have multiple book types in your library, for which you want to display different columns for when you filter by that book type.
  • You want an easy way to quickly re-apply a default multi-column sort order.
  • You want to display/sort/filter your books differently while your device is connected (such as excluding books that are wishlist items and sorting those on the device at the top).

Main features of v1.4.3
  • Create new Views and save your columns shown, column widths and column sorts on demand for the current view
  • Create as many different views as you wish
  • Views are library specific (redefine your views within each as you may have different columns)
  • Define which of your columns are visible and the display order for each view
  • Optional sort order(s) to be applied (right-click to choose ascending/descending)
  • Optional Virtual library to be applied
  • Optional search restriction to be applied
  • Optional saved search to be applied
  • Optional keyboard shortcuts for quick access
  • Option to automatically apply either last selected view or a specifically named view at startup/when switching libraries

Special Notes:
  • Requires Calibre 1.48 or later.
  • If you enable the "automatically apply last view" functionality and then this will override over any values you have specified in tweaks for startup columns or restrictions.

Installation Steps:
  1. Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/restart Calibre/add to context menu or toolbar as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.

Paypal Donations:
  • If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation. I have spent many hundreds of unpaid hours in their development and support so any encouragement for me to continue is appreciated!

Version History:
Spoiler:

Version 1.4.3 - 24 Jun 2017

Version 1.3.2 - 22 Nov 2014
Fix keyboard shortcuts not working on calibre >= 2.10

Version 1.3.1 - 24 Jul 2014
Compatibility for upcoming calibre 2.0
- Create new Views and update Views with current columns, column widths and sorts.
- Can switch Virtual libraries on View activation.
- Make settings for Virtual library, Saved search and VL additional restriction search clearer.

Version 1.3.0 - 22 Jun 2012
Now requires calibre 0.8.57
Store views in the calibre database rather than a json file, to allow reuse from different computers (not simultaneously!)
Add a support option to the "Other" tab allowing viewing the plugin data stored in the database
No longer support upgrading from plugin versions older than 1.2.0

Version 1.2.1 - 11 Sep 2011
When switching libraries, ensure no issues with old menu items causing a crash

Version 1.2.0 - 11 Sep 2011
Upgrade to support the centralised keyboard shortcut management in Calibre
When opening the configuration dialog, default to the last selected view

Version 1.1.2 - 16 Jul 2011
Fix config error introduced with 1.1.1

Version 1.1.1 - 16 Jul 2011
Fix error issue for first time users

Version 1.1.0 - 11 Jul 2011
Add ability to store column widths as part of the view information

Version 1.0.6 - 15 Jun 2011
Indicate the last selected view with a checkbox in the menu

Version 1.0.5 - 23 Apr 2011
Fix bug of not always remembering the last applied view when restarting/switching libraries
Enhance configuration options to allow specifying a view to apply at startup
Ensure any auto applying of views is a per library setting

Version 1.0.4 - 14 Apr 2011
Fix bug of applying a blank saved search not working

Version 1.0.3 - 12 Apr 2011
Fix bug of plugin not working for first time users from 1.0.2
Add text to config dialog advising of behaviour if enable automatic apply view

Version 1.0.2 - 11 Apr 2011
Offer configuration option to apply last selected view at startup or switching libraries
Change configuration file format to offer more flexibility

Version 1.0.1 - 10 Apr 2011
Fix bug of key error when creating new views

Version 1.0 - 10 Feb 2011
Initial release of View Manager plugin

Last edited by JimmXinu; 05-12-2018 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions
Old 06-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #208
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Suggestion for improvement

Instead of a "save view as" how about being able to just "save"?

Having to rename each view if I make a change to a current one is a hassle when I just wanted to tweak a current view and save it as whatever it was named originally.

Instead of having to go into the customization and editing a view and going through the hassle of dealing with the list of shelves, being able to open a view and make changes to it, then save it under that name with the changes overwriting it would be great!
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #209
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
I just wanted to check that while you can use the View Manager plugin to automatically switch to a Virtual Library, you can't click on the Virtual Library and it will change the view? In other words, if I want to see my particular columns for a Virtual Library I need to use only the View Manager plugin because if I click on the Virtual Library instead it won't show the correct columns.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #210
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
In other words, if I want to see my particular columns for a Virtual Library I need to use only the View Manager plugin because if I click on the Virtual Library instead it won't show the correct columns.
You can also configure View Manager to apply a particular view when you change to a library:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	268
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	160175