Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Marvin 3 on the new iPhone X

So far, I like my iPhone X but have already found something with Marvin 3 and they way it looks on the device that I'm not happy with. ::sigh::

The iPhone X has a bit of a cut out at the top of the screen where the camera is. I have the title of an opened book show up at the top of the screen. Unfortunately, that iPhone X cutout is right over the title of the book so you can't see it. . Not a super big deal but as I'm new to using Marvin 3 having used Marvin Classic in the recent past, how the heck do I get to the metadata (I think it's called) where you can read the blurb of the book when you want to. With Classic, I just dragged down from where the book title was and it showed up. Now I can't see the book title so don't know if the information is there and I can't get to it because of the cutout or if there is another way to get to read the blurb while reading the book.

Another question with Marvin 3.....

In the Classic version, when you hadn't opened a book, an astrix appeared in the upper right corner of the book. That doesn't appear in Marvin 3 that I have been able to find. It does give information below the book in the library, what % the book has been read but I really liked the visual of that astrix. Is it available and I have missed the setting or was that feature removed?

Thanks, Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You can change the headers and footers...decide what to show, and even how wide or narrow or hidden completely...you need to select the settings widget from the book list (library) page - looks like a sprocket in the top left corner. Then select "Epub book settings". Lots of different display options - just play around until you find what you like.

As for getting the metadata just long-tap (or hard-tap) on the book from the library page. One of the options that pops up is Metadata and Cover, but there is a "Publisher's Summary" 2 lines down that gives you what you are looking for.

For the "Unread Marker" select setting from the library page. Then scroll to "General Settings". On that screen are many options, one of which is "show unread marker". Toggle that to on.

Hope that helps!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the reply...

I changed the Header to WIDE but it's still not really wide enough. Still slightly hidden by that cutout in the iPhone X at the top.

For the Metadata, I really wanted to be able to see it from within the book by the drop down like was in Marvin Classic.

I turned on the Unread Marker and it's now a dot to the far right of the book. Works .... sorta.... I have several books I have read and only one of them no longer has the blue dot. I'm going to leave it on to see if the dots disappears when I finish the current book I'm reading. Would hope it would have disappeared for all of the books I had already opened and read but that hasn't happened yet.... We'll see if this works the way it's supposed to. I've exited Marvin 3 and gone back in to the program and the blue dot still appears on books I have opened and read.... with the exception of 1 book where the blue dot isn't there. I have not turned my iPhone totally off then back on to see if that makes this feature work.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Thank you for the reply...
I'm going to leave it on to see if the dots disappears when I finish the current book I'm reading.
"Smart" dots would be nice, but:

After you finish a book you have to manually select "Mark as read" to remove the blue dot. Long-press or swipe the book and select Actions > Mark as read.

When M3 first came out, some of us requested a "reverse" dot: no dots until the book was read; the dot served as a "check-mark" to indicate "read". However, this request did not happen.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Shykat
Groupie

Oh, I agree with the "Smart" Dots. would be nice to have it set up so you could choose to have it on if not read for people like me and on for those who prefer to have it on when the book has been finished.

I have noticed on a few books that, instead of reading 100%, they read 99% even though I have gotten to the end of the book. Dunno why that's happening.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I agree with the "Smart" Dots. would be nice to have it set up so you could choose to have it on if not read for people like me and on for those who prefer to have it on when the book has been finished.

I have noticed on a few books that, instead of reading 100%, they read 99% even though I have gotten to the end of the book. Dunno why that's happening.
When you get to the last page in a book, swipe one more time to get to the "Congratulations! End of Book Actions" screen. This screen gives a way to mark a book as read and to "close the book". Maybe closing the book will indicate 100% read ... this is just a guess.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
The iPhone X has a bit of a cut out at the top of the screen where the camera is.
I don't have an iPhone X, but have been looking at pictures of it on Apple website. Does the "cut out" have an on/off option? Some pictures show the cut out; others don't. I'm just curious, the X is NOT in my budget!
Old 11-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I just went to the official Apple iphone X website and every X picture I saw had the cutout.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I just went to the official Apple iphone X website and every X picture I saw had the cutout.
Thanks, my mistake. I checked again and realized that I was on an iOS 11 website, not a specific iPhone X site.

I think I'd find a cutout annoying if it took a bite out of something I wanted to see! On the other hand, Apple has done pretty well with a bite taken out of its logo.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
...Not a super big deal but as I'm new to using Marvin 3 having used Marvin Classic in the recent past, how the heck do I get to the metadata (I think it's called) where you can read the blurb of the book when you want to. With Classic, I just dragged down from where the book title was and it showed up. Now I can't see the book title so don't know if the information is there and I can't get to it because of the cutout or if there is another way to get to read the blurb while reading the book.

Another question with Marvin 3.....

In the Classic version, when you hadn't opened a book, an astrix appeared in the upper right corner of the book. That doesn't appear in Marvin 3 that I have been able to find. It does give information below the book in the library, what % the book has been read but I really liked the visual of that astrix. Is it available and I have missed the setting or was that feature removed?

Thanks, Shykat
If you swipe across the title you'll get Options. Look at the "publisher's summary" in the list. That's the metadata I look at.

I miss that asterisk too. The blue dot only disappears when you explicitly tell it to (not automatically after reading).

Edited to add: Sorry @Turtle91 - I missed your reply.

Last edited by skb; 11-05-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot a bit...
skb is offline   Reply With Quote