Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
spindlespine
spindlespine began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Library books from OverDrive

I'm new to this forum. My local Library allows me to borrow EPub books using OverDrive. I'm able to read them on my iPhone, but I would really like to read them on my Kindle. I downloaded Calibre because it allows you to convert file formats for various devices. I then downloaded a book from my local Public Library, which is supposed to be an EPub file, but is a just a tiny acsm file. Calibre doesn't recognize acsm. Is there any way to convert the file that I download from my Public Library to a Kindle friendly format, or am I just wasting my time? Does anyone have any experience with this?
spindlespine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlespine View Post
I'm new to this forum. My local Library allows me to borrow EPub books using OverDrive. I'm able to read them on my iPhone, but I would really like to read them on my Kindle. I downloaded Calibre because it allows you to convert file formats for various devices. I then downloaded a book from my local Public Library, which is supposed to be an EPub file, but is a just a tiny acsm file. Calibre doesn't recognize acsm. Is there any way to convert the file that I download from my Public Library to a Kindle friendly format, or am I just wasting my time? Does anyone have any experience with this?
An .acsm (Adobe Content Server Manager) file is a file that ADE uses to download the book from the library servers. You will need to install ADE and authorize it with an Adobe ID. After you have downloaded the .acsm file, you can open it with ADE to download the epub which you can copy it into calibre, remove DRM if needed (see Apprentice Alf for advice on removing DRM) and convert to a Kindle friendly format (AZW3 by preference).

Please note that many, myself included, do not consider removing DRM from library books as being a good idea. Unlike other books that you purchase and own, a library book is a loan and removing the DRM also removes the dropdead code.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To add a small bit to DNSB's explanation, in case you didn't already know, ADE = Adobe Digital Editions and is a free download from the Adobe website.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give you have a Kindle and want to read ePub eBooks from Overdrive, I suggest you buy a Reader that handles ePub such as a Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I'm new to this forum.
The answer depends on two things -- whether your library is in the United States, and whether your Kindle is from the Fire line (color screen) vs. being eInk (black and white screen).

I'm sure the others who answered your questions know this. Maybe they didn't want to be seen as invading your privacy.

As to whether you are wasting your time, if your library is outside the United States, and, also, your Kindle is eInk, yes.

P.S. However, for this purpose, US military Overdrive counts as in the United States.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

As to whether you are wasting your time, if your library is outside the United States, and, also, your Kindle is eInk, yes.

OP, see post #2 for a more complete answer. It can be done
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Quote:
I'm new to this forum. My local Library allows me to borrow EPub books using OverDrive. I'm able to read them on my iPhone, but I would really like to read them on my Kindle.
Most libraries offer books in multiple formats, so you can read on your kindle. If you use Overdrive to select and download books, you should be prompted to pick a format once you select the book. Check with a reference librarian, they can show you how to do get a Kindle version of the book you want to download.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give you have a Kindle and want to read ePub eBooks from Overdrive, I suggest you buy a Reader that handles ePub such as a Kobo.
Or a Barnes & Noble Nook GlowLight Plus (refurbished) or a Nook GlowLight 3 (new).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Most libraries offer books in multiple formats, so you can read on your kindle. If you use Overdrive to select and download books, you should be prompted to pick a format once you select the book. Check with a reference librarian, they can show you how to do get a Kindle version of the book you want to download.
I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps he is using the Overdrive or Libby app on his iPhone to do all his borrowing?

Spindlespine, have you tried accessing your library’s Overdrive page on the web? You should find ePub AND Kindle support. From my library website, when I select Kindle as my format choice, all I have to do is sync my Kindle after borrowing, and the book appears.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps he is using the Overdrive or Libby app on his iPhone to do all his borrowing?

Spindlespine, have you tried accessing your library’s Overdrive page on the web? You should find ePub AND Kindle support. From my library website, when I select Kindle as my format choice, all I have to do is sync my Kindle after borrowing, and the book appears.
Only if the OP is in the US. Kindle support isn't offered by OverDrive in other countries...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

They may offer multiple formats, but once you download one format in Overdrive, I believe Overdrive doesn't allow you to download another format?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
They may offer multiple formats, but once you download one format in Overdrive, I believe Overdrive doesn't allow you to download another format?
You can set a default format, but if you don’t it will ask you to choose one for each book you borrow.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not on that book, during that particular check-out period. But you can check-out different books in different formats at the same time. (At least that's the way it works in Fort Worth.)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can set a default format, but if you don’t it will ask you to choose one for each book you borrow.
I didn't even know you could set a default. (Not that I'm interested in doing that anyhow.)
Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't even know you could set a default. (Not that I'm interested in doing that anyhow.)
That is a fairly new feature, at least it only showed up in my libraries about 2 months ago. Easy to change in your preferences at the library too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acsm, convert acsm to epub, epub, kindle, overdrive