Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 01:20 PM   #196
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
… which might actually make me switch back to Windows, something I am starting to think about more lately since I am hearing good things about wsl.
I used to hear good things about MS Services for UNIX too (and used it). You might as well run Linux of choice in a VM or run the few Windows programs you need (if you need any) on the SAME VM sw (Vbox) on a native Linux.
WSL is for people that have to run native Windows, often a corporate decision.

WSL used to (and MS SFU before it used to be native using the NT4.0 Posix subsystem) be native, but now WSL 2 uses the "latest and greatest in virtualization technology" to run its Linux kernel inside of a lightweight utility virtual machine (VM). They claim it's faster to load than a full VM. But Win XP (very fast), 7 & 10 are pretty fast to load even from VMs stored on HDD though the VBox sw and my Linux OS is on an SSD.
https://www.makeuseof.com/linux-virtual-machine-or-wsl/
They don't cover should I run Linux native and use Windows in a VM.

I suppose if you want Windows games you need native windows, ironically especially XP as Oracle removed Direct 3D support from their XP driver, so quite ordinary games like Scrabble stopped working. There are so many dependencies that going back to earlier Vbox with Direct 3D on XP on Linux Mint 20.x or 21.x seems nearly impossible.

Running win 3.x in 286 mode can be done on DosBox but I can't see how to run Win9x or Win 3.11 etc with win32s in a VM? My old 386s and 486 are all gone.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-27-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:38 PM   #197
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe some Windows Update did it.
Nope

The improvements in Word load times have been incremental and apparent after Office updates, 2019 loads faster than 2016, loads faster than 2010, loads faster than 2007. And the improvements to epub-tools have followed suite, it's written in C++ and requires the VS 2010 runtime package.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:58 PM   #198
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Microsoft office is probably written in C/C++, so re-writing it in python would make it slower, no matter what improvements they make to python.
My suggestion MS might be rewriting Office in python was deliberately flippant.

Quote:
But seeing that python has a strong foothold in data analysis, they are integrating it with office more and more to leverage its capabilities and libraries, which is good move for both.

Hopefully we will reach a point where we can write macros using python, which might actually make me switch back to Windows, something I am starting to think about more lately since I am hearing good things about wsl.
I'm told by people doing it, that Office Addins, as opposed to Office Macros, can be written in Python today.

BR
Old 12-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #199
AstroCalibre
Enthusiast
AstroCalibre began at the beginning.

Device: Android smartphone
Calibre crashes in cover viewing mode

Since I installed version 7 (Windows 10 operating system) often, when I'm in cover viewing mode, Calibre crashes and I'm forced to restart it. However, when I'm in list view, this doesn't happen. Have any of you experienced this behavior?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2023, 10:47 PM   #200
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What does crash mean? It closes? There's an error? Try running in debug mode (right click the preferences button and choose restart in debug mode). See if there is anything in the debug log after a crash.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:25 AM   #201
AstroCalibre
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What does crash mean? It closes? There's an error? Try running in debug mode (right click the preferences button and choose restart in debug mode). See if there is anything in the debug log after a crash.
Thanks, Kovid,
I have attached a screenshot of the crash. I have to click on "Close the program" (chiudi il programma).

This is the debug log

Code:
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
calibre Log di debug
calibre 7.1  embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: it
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Count Pages (1, 13, 4) && EpubSplit (3, 6, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 10, 8) && Generate Cover (2, 3, 3) && Quality Check (1, 13, 6) && Search The Internet (1, 10, 4)
calibre 7.1  embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: it
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Count Pages (1, 13, 4) && EpubSplit (3, 6, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 10, 8) && Generate Cover (2, 3, 3) && Quality Check (1, 13, 6) && Search The Internet (1, 10, 4)
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 93.78461538461538 x 88.49032258064516
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.00] Showing splash screen...
[0.19] splash screen shown
[0.19] Initializing db...
[0.41] db initialized
[0.41] Constructing main UI...
[2.17] main UI initialized...
[2.17] Hiding splash screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrecrash.png
Views:	45
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	205099  
Old 12-10-2023, 12:47 AM   #202
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You mean it freezes and stops responding? Is this after you click a button like add books or similar?
Old 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #203
AstroCalibre
Enthusiast

Quote:
You mean it freezes and stops responding? Is this after you click a button like add books or similar?
Yes, Calibre freezes and stops responding.
I noticed that this only happens when I am in cover view mode and expecially when I click the X button to close a search. Look at the attached image
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre03.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	205111  
Old 12-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #204
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm doesnt reproduce on my windows machine. Is it only clicking the button or also when pressing esc ot clear the search?
Old 12-10-2023, 02:52 PM   #205
AstroCalibre
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm doesnt reproduce on my windows machine. Is it only clicking the button or also when pressing esc ot clear the search?
I did some testing and noticed that Calibre only crashes when I click the X button. When pressing ESC for clear the search this doesn't happen (I didn't know you could press ESC to cancel a search. It will mean that from now on I will use the ESC key!
However, even when I press X button, Calibre does not always freeze. Let's say he does it at least one time in five.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:04 PM   #206
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes I tried it approx 20 times no freezes.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:58 PM   #207
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm assuming this is another Qt screwup?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-12-13 17_57_17-calibre — __ My Books __ Currently Reading __.png
Views:	37
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	205193  
Old 12-13-2023, 06:05 PM   #208
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've been getting that lately, as well. It occurs more often (if not only in this case, I'm not sure yet), after waking up laptop from hibernation power state

edit: in my case, that white rectangle covers the entire Calibre UI area. Only the title bar can be seen upon restoring the program from systray.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 12-13-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #209
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yep. I get the same thing.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:27 PM   #210
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
yup. if you have the calibre system tray icon enabled you can close to tray and restore to get it to render again.
Closed Thread