Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
tokapi
tokapi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Boox
Exclamation Boox Note and Boox Note pro: unreliable screen!

Well, I am having quite a bad experience with the Boox Note serie.

I have bought (and sent back) two Boox Note from Amazon.ca in a row. I thought the first one was defective because the notetaking didn't work about 1 cm from the edge of the screen, so I got a second one. The defect was still here, and after two days of use a line of dead pixels appeared near the right edge of the screen.

On the advice of people from this forum I have therefore decided to get a Boox Note Pro from https://ereader.store (Germany). It has just arrived right now, I start it, and... There is a dead line of pixels near the left edge of the screen... This is extremely annoying because I have paid the import taxes to get this device to Canada I am not sure whether I should keep it or ask ereader for an exchange...

Does a Boox Note without defects really exist? :/
tokapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokapi View Post
Well, I am having quite a bad experience with the Boox Note serie.

I have bought (and sent back) two Boox Note from Amazon.ca in a row. I thought the first one was defective because the notetaking didn't work about 1 cm from the edge of the screen, so I got a second one. The defect was still here, and after two days of use a line of dead pixels appeared near the right edge of the screen.

On the advice of people from this forum I have therefore decided to get a Boox Note Pro from https://ereader.store (Germany). It has just arrived right now, I start it, and... There is a dead line of pixels near the left edge of the screen... This is extremely annoying because I have paid the import taxes to get this device to Canada I am not sure whether I should keep it or ask ereader for an exchange...

I got my Boox Note Pro from Amazon about 2 weeks ago now and haven't had any issues. No dead pixels, I don't use the pen much because I'm waiting for the new update that has the better pen experience on PDFs.

The only issue I have is that I use Pocket (GetPocket) to read a lot of articles and every now and then it will cause the Boox to restart, its not a full restart its more of it flashes to the load screen and opens back to the main home. It happens rarely, probably happened like 4 times and I've read at least 60 or so articles on it. Most of my time using it is actually in Pocket. The first time it happened I was really worried but its a rare enough occurrence that I don't think its a major software issue. I do full refreshes when I use Pocket and haven't seen any pixel issues. I force A2 in Firefox that I sideloaded and it gets the regular ghosting but it goes away if I either refresh or switch the app.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
I'm hoping that the next update to the software fixes its defects.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
tokapi
tokapi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Boox
Well I don't have much hope about a software update fixing the dead pixel defect, this sounds more like a hardware defect...
tokapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
I have a Note Pro, bought directly from AliExpress in China, and there are no issues with the screen - everything works well.

There are some software bugs with the firmware like occasional restarts but I guess that is to be expected.

@junkyardwillie, try the new 'Fast' mode and increasing the contrast a little - both available with the new 2.2.1 firmware release. It's like A2 mode performance but with very little ghosting - I use all the time for everything.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
trafii
trafii began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note 2
I bought mine from ereader store too. Very impressed with fast despatch as expected from a German company. But...
-I later found out the German address is just a forwarding address and the company is based in China.
-I had a faulty device and they refused my messages until I got Paypal involved for a refund. Then instantly they sent a return label by UPS.
-Once I sent the device back, they sat on it for another 2 weeks until I again involved Paypal.
-The replacement was second hand, all wrapping jammed into the box with no care and the case which was sent after my complaints, was broken.
-Then I traced their email origin and found out they are in China.
-After my complaints, they started to lie. First, they said the device is New. Then they said, A repaired item is New according to EU laws. I live in the EU and I know the laws.
Then they said it belonged to somebody else that they repaired and sent by mistake and sent mine to him.
-Then they said the fault was dead pixels and that was repaired.
-After I pointed out that there was nothing wrong with pixels and the original fault was device hanging up. came the beauty;
They replied;
OMG (exactly their words) in this case we made a mistake, we sent you a faulty device from another buyer.
Oh well, I suppose I have to live with that!!!

I am now waiting for a reply from Paypal to get a refund.
I have been wasting more than 2 months on this device and ereader store says I should be grateful because they made no profit and they didn't ask for compensation from me!!!

Note: the device was dead on arrival and I reported it ONE hour after I got delivery by UPS.

I wish to put all this to forum and more I have found out about ereader store, but not sure if forum admin will allow that.
trafii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafii View Post
I bought mine from ereader store too. Very impressed with fast despatch as expected from a German company. But...
Very surprised to hear about your situation. Over the years, I have bought four Onyx ereaders from ereader.store and that has not been my experience.

My devices shipped from Germany and were in working order when I received them. They are all still working fine.

But maybe things have changed...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:

That sucks. My M92 was broken when I received it from ereader store. They offered to pay for shipping when I sent it back. This happened in 2013.

I would try calling them up. Their number is in the "about us" section of their site.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #9
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Back to the Onyx Boox Note series.

I received my refurbished Note Pro last week for 375€ from a Dutch site. Reviews of the site indicated that they had a reasonable number of customers of which some were very happy and some not quite. So with a failure rate of 10% for electronic devices, that was what I expected.

The device is running perfectly on firmware 2.2.x. I can upgrade to 2.3.x, but I rather wait until I have a full backup. (This thread seems to prefer the even earlier firmware 2.0.x!) I've rooted it with the dirty-COW exploit following the snippet here, so I wouldn't have to use KingRoot and try to delete it later. I haven't been able to backup the partitions, yet.

There is some problem with the calibration of the pen on 2.2.x. After a while there is a 2-3mm distance between the point that I touch on the screen and the appearance of the corresponding dot. Googling showed that it could be due to the driver offsetting the pen location when you go off the side of the screen. Basically, putting keeping the pen on the screen. Scratching some lines across the sides works to recalibrate it.

So far, it is a very decent, well working device. I think it is very nice that you can jot quick notes in the margins and write extensive notes on a highlighted piece of text. Also, the fact that you can disable the Onyx keyboard in favor of the standard android keyboard is very nice. I only have to find a dutch word list for word completion, as it isn't included in the standard installation.

Last edited by Markismus; 06-13-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafii View Post
-I later found out the German address is just a forwarding address and the company is based in China.
-I had a faulty device and they refused my messages until I got Paypal involved for a refund. Then instantly they sent a return label by UPS.
-Once I sent the device back, they sat on it for another 2 weeks until I again involved Paypal.
-The replacement was second hand, all wrapping jammed into the box with no care and the case which was sent after my complaints, was broken.
-Then I traced their email origin and found out they are in China.
-After my complaints, they started to lie. First, they said the device is New. Then they said, A repaired item is New according to EU laws. I live in the EU and I know the laws.
Then they said it belonged to somebody else that they repaired and sent by mistake and sent mine to him.
-Then they said the fault was dead pixels and that was repaired.
-After I pointed out that there was nothing wrong with pixels and the original fault was device hanging up. came the beauty;
They replied;
OMG (exactly their words) in this case we made a mistake, we sent you a faulty device from another buyer.
Oh well, I suppose I have to live with that!!!

I am now waiting for a reply from Paypal to get a refund.
I have been wasting more than 2 months on this device and ereader store says I should be grateful because they made no profit and they didn't ask for compensation from me!!!

Note: the device was dead on arrival and I reported it ONE hour after I got delivery by UPS.

I wish to put all this to forum and more I have found out about ereader store, but not sure if forum admin will allow that.
I'm very surprised too.
"Then I traced their email origin and found out they are in China.", I don't know what you traced, but I can guarantee you that the company (ereader.store) is based in Germany, because it's not far from where I live. I met in the past the company owner as well and he's a very kind person. The last winter I've had a problem with my Onyx Note (motherboard problem) and it has been repaired in few weeks. Luckily the device was still under warranty and I didn't have to pay anything. My Onyx Note works very good now.

Last edited by cicabum; 06-14-2020 at 03:40 PM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
adrians
Enthusiast
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
The ereader store is probably a small merchant, like many on Amazon for example, who are just doing drop-shipping (straight from the manufacturer to the buyer) for certain (most?) items they sell. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't have too many expectations from this type of store wrt support, exchanges, etc. They'll sometimes make the buying experience a bit better compared to that when dealing directly with a store in China, but often there's not much there compared to a bricks-and-mortar store. Good e-Reader operating out of British Columbia is the same, from what I can see. They just drop-shipped my two Max 3s.
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote