Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Is new Sony Reader Library version ok??

On my Windows XP Pro SP3 system with my Sony PRS 505, I currently have Sony Reader Library version 3.2.00.05120.

I received the notice about a new Sony Reader Library version (I believe it was 3.3.xxxx).

Is this version okay to upgrade to?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got version 3.3.00.07310 installed and I haven't had any problems with it. Granted that I seldom use it because it is not well written. I cannot currently test it for you with a Reader though as I sold my 300 and my 350 has not shipped yet. But I did use it with my 300 a bit before I sold it. I did not see any big changes to it, but I wasn't looking for changes. So in summation, it seems to work about the same as 3.2.xx.xxxxx.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I still have version 3.1.00.12040 (USA) and never upgraded. I figured it did what I needed (access store to pick up freebies and import files to collections) and did not want to chance any little glitch causing problems.

I have Vista and the Sony 505, am I missing anything great by not upgrading?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
D, My personal preference is to let a new version "mellow" then install it. I prefer to stay closer to the current version of any software package.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
D, My personal preference is to let a new version "mellow" then install it. I prefer to stay closer to the current version of any software package.
That has actually been my preference. I usually wait for all the little glitches to be figured out before upgrading. I guess, I just let this one go a bit longer.

Thanks..
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I'm using the Sony reader library for Mac and it's really buggy. I added about 500 books into the library and it slowed down my browsing drastically. Not only did the pages didn't flip properly, the navigation and menu interface is brutal.

I think Sony makes good hardware in general but their software side needs drastic changes.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
On my Windows XP Pro SP3 system with my Sony PRS 505, I currently have Sony Reader Library version 3.2.00.05120.

I received the notice about a new Sony Reader Library version (I believe it was 3.3.xxxx).

Is this version okay to upgrade to?

Thanks!
I've been using version 3.3 for Windows since it came out and so far it has been faster and less buggy than 3.2
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
I've been using version 3.3 for Windows since it came out and so far it has been faster and less buggy than 3.2
Same here. It's certainly faster. And, so far, no freezes/hangups/crashes.

Functionally, nothing new. But it works a bit better all around.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
I am also using v3.3 without any issue. I did notice that the prices of ebooks under the Agency model are now the same as Amazon, and there is a row for tax in the checkout. Looks like Sony is no longer adding tax to the price of the book.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
I use the Sony Reader Library as the default epub reader on my Windows XP PC. I upgraded to Reader Library version 3.3 from 3.2 and it no longer recognizes external fonts that I had defined in the epub CSS stylesheet. In version 3.2, the external fonts were detected in directory:

c:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Data\fonts

I haven't figured out where version 3.3 expects external fonts to be. Maybe that feature has been removed from version 3.3.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Lloyd Simcoe
immortal observer
Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lloyd Simcoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
I use the Sony Reader Library as the default epub reader on my Windows XP PC. I upgraded to Reader Library version 3.3 from 3.2 and it no longer recognizes external fonts that I had defined in the epub CSS stylesheet. In version 3.2, the external fonts were detected in directory:

c:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\Data\fonts

I haven't figured out where version 3.3 expects external fonts to be. Maybe that feature has been removed from version 3.3.
I noticed the same thing. I wonder if this means the 350 and 650 will also not support external fonts for epub books.
Lloyd Simcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I still have version 3.1.00.12040 (USA) and never upgraded. I figured it did what I needed (access store to pick up freebies and import files to collections) and did not want to chance any little glitch causing problems.

Same with me - I still use 3.1 because it works without any glitches.

I'm as scared crapless about upgrading, as a one-year old baby crawling across a major arterial intersection at 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve during a rainstorm.

That's how scared Sony makes me.

I also own the 505 (and the 600, which I'll be selling).

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use something like Process Monitor to see which files it tries to access when opening a file with custom CSS.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am running version 3.3 on Mac OS. It is much zippier than v3.2! I so regretted the day I downloaded that version... Syncing 600+ books and 20 collections took over 20 minutes and froze the software while doing so. Thankfully the new version is back on par with v3.1 sync speeds of only a minute or two. I was able to turn back on merging notes during sync in preferences too. Goodbye v3.2 and tears of frustration.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Use something like Process Monitor to see which files it tries to access when opening a file with custom CSS.
I used Process Monitor on version 3.2 and clearly spotted where Sony Reader Library accessed the UserStyle.css and external fonts directories.

However, using Process Monitor on version 3.3, there is NO indication that Sony Reader Library attempts to find either the UserStyle.css or external fonts directories. Can anyone else confirm this?

This means the method outlined by ShellShock in the link below will not work with version 3.3:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=55

Last edited by yekim54; 09-11-2010 at 11:49 PM.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote