Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Library size and performance

Well first of all, thanks and congratulations to kovidgoyal for such an awesome piece of software! If I didn't know any better, I'd say someone's been reading my wish book again...

Anyway, on to the topic! I've been using Book Collector to maintain my library, but I've run into a problem. My PC is a little long in the tooth, and as the Book Collector library file has gotten bigger, the program has hogged more resources and slowed my system down. I've now got 1,600 titles catalogued, but my system is running at a crawl when I've got Book Collector open.

My question is thus: will the same thing happen as my Calibre library gets bigger? I've had a look around and not been able to find an answer to this yet, however if it has already been posted-my apologies for doubling up.
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinch View Post
Well first of all, thanks and congratulations to kovidgoyal for such an awesome piece of software! If I didn't know any better, I'd say someone's been reading my wish book again...

Anyway, on to the topic! I've been using Book Collector to maintain my library, but I've run into a problem. My PC is a little long in the tooth, and as the Book Collector library file has gotten bigger, the program has hogged more resources and slowed my system down. I've now got 1,600 titles catalogued, but my system is running at a crawl when I've got Book Collector open.

My question is thus: will the same thing happen as my Calibre library gets bigger? I've had a look around and not been able to find an answer to this yet, however if it has already been posted-my apologies for doubling up.
I had over 2000 files cataloged in Calibre without any noticeable change in performance of my computer. And that's with Firefox opened with over 40 tabs and using the conversion software in Calibre too.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When you say your PC is getting a bit long in the tooth, what sort of RAM does it have. In my experience I would not want to try and run Calibre on a machine with less than 512Mb of memory if I was handling a library of any size. Calibre seems to be memory hungry with larger libraries rather than processor hungry.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
When you say your PC is getting a bit long in the tooth, what sort of RAM does it have. In my experience I would not want to try and run Calibre on a machine with less than 512Mb of memory if I was handling a library of any size. Calibre seems to be memory hungry with larger libraries rather than processor hungry.
Yes, that seems to be the problem I've had with Book Collector as well. I've got 512mb of RAM.
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Maybee even though it is an old machine it might be worth adding a bit more RAM then. It might give it a new lease of life.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert