Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Question: Companion vs. Kindle eReader app

I have a question regarding Calibre Companion interfacing with the Kindle eReader app on a Kindle Fire HD8.

I connected from Companion to Calibre in "content server" mode. I pulled down 13 books to the Fire's SD card. Worked perfectly. From Companion, I attempted to read a book, and it fired up the Kindle app, after warning me that my page would be reset to 1. Fine. Kindle app worked fine. Exited Kindle app and Companion. Came back to Kindle app (stand alone, not via Companion) and found that all 13 of my Companion books were showing in the Kindle apps Downloaded section. I was not expecting that (I have read of problems with Kindle app displaying side-loaded eBooks). But it was great that they were there! A welcome surprise.

So I went back to Companion/Calibre, this time using "wireless client mode", and pushed down 7 more books to make the limit of 20 in the Companion Demo version I have installed (actually, I ended up trying for 21 books - because I can't count!) Those 7 additional books made it down to my Companion listing just fine. I now have 20 total books showing in Companion.

But when I go to the Kindle app, either via Companion or stand-alone, those additional 7 books are NOT displayed in the Kindle apps Downloaded section. I was expecting that they would have been, based on what happened the first time. But only the original 13 books are displayed.

Is this a bug in the Companion/Kindle interface, or did I do something wrong? Alternately, is there a better eReader app that I should be using in place of the default Kindle app that comes on the Fire HD8? I am using the Calibre DeDRM plugin as a prerequisite to converting all my Amazon purchases from AZW3 format to EPUB, so they are stored in both formats, thus just about any eReader available should be able to read one of those two formats. Is there a better eReader that is recommended over the Kindle app?

Specifics of my setup:
===

Server:
---
Calibre 2.55
LinuxMint 18.1 x64 Mate
Kernel 4.4.0-21

Client:
---
Calibre Companion Demo 5.3.5.2 (381)
Kindle Fire HD8 (7th generation)
FireOS 5.4.0.1 (based on Android 5 Lollipop)
Kindle eReader app (version ?, but it's the newest available, since it auto-updates)
I am storing all eBooks on the microSD card in the Fire, not in main memory

Last edited by haertig; 09-24-2017 at 12:51 PM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Came back to Kindle app (stand alone, not via Companion) and found that all 13 of my Companion books were showing in the Kindle apps Downloaded section. I was not expecting that (I have read of problems with Kindle app displaying side-loaded eBooks). But it was great that they were there! A welcome surprise.
Everything you explained about calibre companion is expected operation. Why the 13 books showed up in the Kindle app as they did I have no idea, but as far as I know it is not a feature of calibre companion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Without me doing anything more, I just went to the Kindle app and now it's showing only 12 books in the Downloaded section. Maybe it thought that 13 was an unlucky number, and decided to delete one on its own.

I suppose there's no need trying to troubleshoot a non-existent Calibre Companion "feature". I guess it was a glitch that the 13 original books (now down to 12!) showed up in the Kindle app at all. Oh well - would have been nice if it was a workable feature.

I think this probably has more to do with the Kindle app than with Companion. I've seen all kinds of complaints online regarding Kindles not displaying side-loaded books. I also saw various proposed solutions, none of which worked for me - things like "use Calibre to convert to MOBI format and set Personal Data Tag from [PDOC] to [EBOK]" - something like that. Didn't work. Stupid Kindle must think people only use Amazon's ecosystem, and not use infinitely better software like Calibre.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote