Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #61
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
In general, I prefer to own rather than stream. A work can always be pulled from a streaming service due to contract issues, but once you buy and download the work, it's yours as Harry mentions with regards to books.
That can happen with ebooks as well. I have a version of The Neverending Story produced by Dutton Books, that looks exactly like their first edition hard cover, including illustrations and red/green text (although I had to strip that out unfortunately, or the book would be unreadable on an e-reader). I bought it through Kobo somewhere in 2011. It's been pullled since then, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

edit: Just checked. The book does say "EPUB created by Orannis, 2011", so it actually could be an unauthorized version that was up for sale at Kobo for a short time. Even so, I'm not going to remove the book because I bought it in good faith, and it -is- a beautiful version. If every book would have a layout as perfect as this one, I would be very, very happy. As said, it's an exact replica of the hardcover... which I know for sure, because I also own that one.

edit: wasn't there something like this with the Arthur series by Mary Steward? I have that as well, and AFAIK, it's still contested if it's legal / authorized or not. Last time I looked, the books were still up though.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #62
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo Readers hve the ability to show you a description of the book so if you are not sure that's the book you want, you can read the description.
Kindles do that too but it's slow and clumsy compared to Moon+.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #63
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Wow

Where on earth do you keep them all? I have about 40 and they're overflowing the space I have for them.
I have a set of 5 foot long shelves that are 9 shelves high a set of 10 foot long shelves, 7 shelves high plus a small bookcase for the booklets. Oh and about 10 bigger books are on a shelf at the end of the kitchen and some manuals are in a kitchen drawer.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #64
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Finding ebooks to read is EASY! ALL of mine are in Folders ... Authors Last name, 1st name. Easy Peasy! As soon as I load them I Place them in the correct folders!

The best thing is No matter how many e-books are in the reader It Weights the SAME!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #65
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Finding ebooks to read is EASY! ALL of mine are in Folders ... Authors Last name, 1st name. Easy Peasy! As soon as I load them I Place them in the correct folders!

The best thing is No matter how many e-books are in the reader It Weights the SAME!
Really on the last part. I thought the same thing but according to the OP more than a few books makes the ereader unwieldy. Should I assume he has an ereader made in Narnia?
Should we ask for pictures of this ereader that grows physically with more books?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My Glo HD has 100 books on it and I can barely find anything it takes forever to go through page by page. I don't envy you a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I seldom go through my library page by page. Search is what I depend on. Want a book by Katherine Kurtz? By the time I type in 'kath', she's on the first page of results -- I have too many authors/books/series with "kat" embedded so I have to suffer through 4 keystrokes. Life is too short to use the library view for anything other than typing in a random page number and seeing what pops up on that page. If only the box you type the page number into would hold more than two digits.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

How primitive and old fashioned. I consider needing 4 keystrokes to find an author as being more than enough. The last time I dug down to a book in a directory, it took a lot more keystrokes/clicks/scrolls than using search. Comparison from when I was playing with KoReader prior to the ability to searc the Calibre's metadata.calibre file being added.

1 -- open the ebooks directory
2 -- open the genre directory (fantasy, SF, mystery, computers, cooking, etc.)
3 to whatever number is needed -- browse down the directory structure to the author. Adamson wasn't bad, Zelazny is a pain.
whatever+1 -- open the directory for the author I was looking for.
whatever+unknown -- scroll down looking for the book and then realize I should have been looking in SF since Roger Zelazny has books in both genres.

1 -- open search
2-3 -- type in "ze"
4 -- see Roger Zelazny in the results list and tap on the name
5 --11(max)-- see the list of all his books in multiple genres. If the result I want isn't on the first page, swipe to through the results. Tap on the book I'm looking for. The 11 max is due to needing to swipe through 6 pages of results.

Looking for a book in the 1632/Ring of Fire series. Search on 16, tap 1632 and see all the books in the series regardless of the author -- currently 12 authors with 6 of the books not having Eric Flint's name on them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #68
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I seldom go through my library page by page. Search is what I depend on. Want a book by Katherine Kurtz? By the time I type in 'kath', she's on the first page of results -- I have too many authors/books/series with "kat" embedded so I have to suffer through 4 keystrokes. Life is too short to use the library view for anything other than typing in a random page number and seeing what pops up on that page. If only the box you type the page number into would hold more than two digits.
See I'm a cover girl. I go by covers. I seldom remember an author or title but I remember plot or cover. So on my Dropbox I keep a folder called Kobo and use my phone to find the books I want then just move them into the Kobo folder using Dropbox's app. I can then move them onto the eReader next time I have it open using the browser.

100 is too many books for me to sort on the kobo. I plan to remove about half of them when I get time.

I read on many devices so having Dropbox is a must. Having Calibre Box is just awesome. I don't know how I lived without it for so long.

I'm very happy with my system.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:07 AM   #69
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have my complete ebook library on my tablet for reference purposes. I like being able to quickly look up information.

I do use a different device for most of my reading with fewer books.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #70
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How primitive and old fashioned. I consider needing 4 keystrokes to find an author as being more than enough. The last time I dug down to a book in a directory, it took a lot more keystrokes/clicks/scrolls than using search. Comparison from when I was playing with KoReader prior to the ability to searc the Calibre's metadata.calibre file being added.

1 -- open the ebooks directory
2 -- open the genre directory (fantasy, SF, mystery, computers, cooking, etc.)
3 to whatever number is needed -- browse down the directory structure to the author. Adamson wasn't bad, Zelazny is a pain.
whatever+1 -- open the directory for the author I was looking for.
whatever+unknown -- scroll down looking for the book and then realize I should have been looking in SF since Roger Zelazny has books in both genres.

1 -- open search
2-3 -- type in "ze"
4 -- see Roger Zelazny in the results list and tap on the name
5 --11(max)-- see the list of all his books in multiple genres. If the result I want isn't on the first page, swipe to through the results. Tap on the book I'm looking for. The 11 max is due to needing to swipe through 6 pages of results.

Looking for a book in the 1632/Ring of Fire series. Search on 16, tap 1632 and see all the books in the series regardless of the author -- currently 12 authors with 6 of the books not having Eric Flint's name on them.
What if you want to migrate to a different brand of reader?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #71
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I hardly keep more than 50 books on my eReader at a time. That would still need around 10 page swipes on my device to browse the library. Rest of my books are stored on my laptop, which is always accessible to me. I would delete the recently read books from the device and copy new ones which I select to read next. I find it easier to manage my library of around 4000 books on the laptop / through Calibre.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #72
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
As per your 2,000, that is roughly the size of my physical cookbook library.
Before anyone asks, yes I use them.
Can I come to your house for dinner? I'll bring the drinks
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #73
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Interesting topic!

I'm now a throw everything on the reader sort of person.

When I was using my Palm with an SD card to read books (when knighthood was in flower), I was limited to the number of books I could carry around. It was such a palaver moving them on and off.

When I started using an ipod touch and ipad with scads of storage, I used the same technique although it was easier to move files on & off. But, then I realised I had scads of storage. So, now I whack on my whole library (a touch over 4000 books). If I download something new, I add it to Dropbox (Calibre2OPDS) and put it on the iDevice. I like having everything "there" and available wherever I am.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #74
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Why would you peeps WANT to be depended on you PC ? The way you are doing it reminds me of being Limited by the Local Library for the next read! You guys Are So Old Fashioned!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Why would you peeps WANT to be depended on you PC ? The way you are doing it reminds me of being Limited by the Local Library for the next read! You guys Are So Old Fashioned!
Yes. Connecting my tablet to my PC via the internet to wirelessly browse my library and retrieve books is soooo old-fashioned.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote