Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #181
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Nothing up with you saying what you want, I thought you said you wanted to stop some books being published or stop people from reading them.
I've certainly not said that.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #182
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Fair enough What's your stance on, say, people physically protesting outside a theatre to get a show shut down. Freedom of Speech or Attempt at Censorship?

The main problem is that the lines can get hazy, my main take on this is that you can do what you want, right up to the point where you try to stop me doing something.
Such demonstrations are fine, as long as they don't interfere with the ability of the theatre to do business, or its patrons to see the show. It is both freedom of expression and attempted censorship.

I've just read a good post by Technolama where he paraphrases your sentiment (a popular one) like this: freedom of speech stops where the rights of others begin. One of the themes of the post is how purveyors of hatred and intimidation hide behind their right to free expression.

To return to the original question: would it be okay to condemn a book published by known hate-mongers without reading it? Particularly if other readers have confirmed that it's the same old story?
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #183
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
I rarely participate, I just lurk around, but this got me aggravated. Would it be OK for me to condemn a car I never drove? I never drove a Subaru, but I have friends who own it that said it's a put-put car. Is it OK to go and express their opinion as my own? Are ideas different?

I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER condemn a book I did not read. I would never express an opinion on a book I did not read. How could I? Why would I? Why would anyone? In order to have an opinion, I need to familiarize myself with whatever it is I want to have an opinion on. If my friends have opinions, I am happy for them. But no matter how well informed they are, it is their opinion, not mine. It is their condemnation, not mine. I think you have to have a pretty low self-esteem to be a follower like that, without even attempting to be your own person, with your own point of view.

If the book content is repulsive to you, don't read it. But don't review something you have not experienced first hand. That's just dishonest. And if you do make it clear that you are reviewing/condemning something you did not read - think first. How much weight does you review carry? "I did not read that book, but I think it's repulsive"? Why even bother?

As to the people the ideas might (or might not, really) hurt, who's to say. I am hurt and offended by people who drive 40 inn 50 mph zone. Others are not. Some people take fiction personally, others don't. I guess Darwin in his time hurt a lot of feelings. As a matter of fact unfortunately he still does. Different sensibilities. Different strokes. Why make a world a smaller and poorer place, depriving us of ideas? Why not let us browse and graze? I don't want to be saved from myself.

Anyhow, my 2 cents. Maybe I just do not understand the need to be a part of a movement no matter what. Maybe I just don't feel the need to save the world against the wishes of all concerned.

dki
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #184
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
To return to the original question: would it be okay to condemn a book published by known hate-mongers without reading it? Particularly if other readers have confirmed that it's the same old story?
No. It wouldn't. Firstly, known hatemongers in one person's eyes are reasonable people in the eyes of others. Instead of "other" readers you probably should have said "people who have read it". And if you trust those people it is reasonable for you to choose not to read it yourself. It is not reasonable for you to simply jump on the bandwagon and condemn it unread.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #185
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Heh, that depends on how we define "PC", of course It's not a phrase I like to use, because it often seems to mean "doubleplusungood in some way that's typical of those who are to the left of me politically".
Actually it's not easy to find people left of me politically. I'm pretty far left. And I support PC in real life wholeheartedly. But sometimes I like different stories and ideas in my fiction. Stories and ideas that have nothing to do with how I think and act in real life. Ideas that would be condemned in real life, that I myself would condemn in real life. Like abusive romances, slave-master relationships shown in positive light, all-male protagonists, submissive female characters etc. Why I enjoy such things in fiction, who knows. I didn't grow up with those ideas and they have never been part of my life in the real world. Possibly that's the reason I like to read about them. They're alien for me and therefore interesting. Strictly in fiction, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #186
arjaybe
Wizard

I'll clear something up. I wouldn't condemn a book without having read it. That would be silly.

This has been fun but it's past the point of diminishing returns for me. I'll keep my eye on this thread for a while in case something interesting happens, but I think everything has been said several times already.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #187
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
And a question to those of you who don't see a problem with these books: Can you really say, with a straight face, that stories which romanticise nazis, trivialise the horror of slavery in the US, and make light of racism and antisemitism, don't hurt people? Truly?
Do they hurt people more than, or less than somebody who utilizes Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook in overthrowing a government.
(For the purposes of this discussion, ignore Lutwick's comments on the people that did utilize this book, for that specific purpose.)

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #188
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Do they hurt people more than, or less than somebody who utilizes Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook in overthrowing a government.
It depends. If the book aids a coup against an extremely brutal dictatorship like North Korea it helps. If it's against a peaceful democracy it hurts, a lot more than the books I described. If it's against a moderately brutal dictatorship, and results in short term bloodshed, and maybe something better, maybe something worse long term, we can't tell until several years after the coop. If it aids coups in some countries, and helps preventing coups in other countries, it becomes extremely difficult to judge.

But I'm sure you can come up with examples of books which hurt a lot more than my examples. I'm not claiming these kinds of books hurt more than any other possible kind of books.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #189
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is precisely my view. Your right to "freedom of speech" stops at the point at which your "freedom" removes my right to see or read what I choose to.
That is the core of LIBERTARIAN philosophy: your rights end where mine begin.
You can do whatever you like until infringes upon me.

Unfortunately, too many people are unwilling to allow others the same rights they enjoy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #190
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
It depends. If the book aids a coup against an extremely brutal dictatorship like North Korea it helps. If it's against a peaceful democracy it hurts, a lot more than the books I described.
The book describes how to carry out a successful coup d'etat.
I don't have a list of coup d'etats whose success is due to implementing the principles outlined in that book.

The book avoids discussion about economic systems, except to underscore Sun Tzu --- in hostile territory, pay for supplies.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #191
evanhson357
EvnHrsn
evanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseevanhson357 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Most reviews can't be trusted, and I for one wish that readers would figure that out.
It's a better idea to just read the first couple of chapters.
If the book grabs you, and isn't full of spelling and formatting errors, you have a winner.
evanhson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #192
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhson357 View Post
Most reviews can't be trusted, and I for one wish that readers would figure that out.
If the book grabs you, and isn't full of spelling and formatting errors, you have a winner.
It's easy enough to focus on those reviews that discuss issues of relevance to me and it's far more efficient than reading a few chapters. "Most" is a pretty squishy term; how did you come to that conclusion?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #193
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's easy enough to focus on those reviews that discuss issues of relevance to me and it's far more efficient than reading a few chapters. "Most" is a pretty squishy term; how did you come to that conclusion?
I think I know what Evan is basing his comment on. I would say in the cooking field at least 25% of the reviews are worthless. Those do get easy to spot. I think readers are smart enough to figure out the review system quick enough.
Off to check on something.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-15-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #194
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhson357 View Post
I hate to disappoint you but sampling doesn't always help. Oh and the book doesn't have to be full of errors to not be a winner. Some authors need to quit babbling about every little trait the main character has and get on with the story.
Sorry but a good book holds the reader's attention.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #195
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It's easy enough to focus on those reviews that discuss issues of relevance to me and it's far more efficient than reading a few chapters.
Agreed.

I understand that some have no use for user reviews (or don't wish to--or can't--navigate them), but wishing all readers would learn to forego them seems pointless and a bit selfish. Why would I care if others found books through means I don't want to utilize myself? There's no "correct" way to find books you enjoy, after all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote