Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by infmom View Post
Books and software are in the same folder. In fact, the first thing I see when I look in the original Calibre folder is all my books. The program files are farther down the list.

I have tried running it from the Start Menu and by going to its installation folder (both old and new) and doubleclicking on the .exe. In neither case will it run.

Have not tried the portable version. I'd like to get the regular version running first.

Edited to add: It DID run just fine with the directory structure I had.
I suggest you create a structure something like

Code:
eBooks
    Software

Libraries
        Library One
        Library Two
Then install calibre-64bit-3.x.x.msi in eBooks\Software.

Why, well there's always been a 'golden rule' with calibre - the library folders should be treated as sacrosanct black boxes, by installing software in the library folder you've broken the rule. You may have gotten away with it prior to version 3, but.... There's further elaboration in an item in the FAQ, and a sticky thread in the Calibre/Library Management subforum.

My suggested structure would achieve what you seem to want - software and associated data in close proximity, whilst not contravening calibre's golden rule.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-14-2017 at 06:43 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My suggested structure would achieve what you seem to want - software and associated data in close proximity, whilst not contravening calibre's golden rule.
Yeah, that's roughly what I did to make my backups 'self-contained': I created a Calibre Portable setup with my two libraries in it, which I backip in its entirety, and have told my main 64-bit install where those libraries are.

Works like a charm.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #18
infmom
infmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
Quote:

Why, well there's always been a 'golden rule' with calibre - the library folders should be treated as sacrosanct black boxes, by installing software in the library folder you've broken the rule. You may have gotten away with it prior to version 3, but.... There's further elaboration in an item in the FAQ, and a sticky thread in the Calibre/Library Management subforum.

BR
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. As far as I know I did not personally install everything in the same folder. I may be misremembering it, but I don't think so.

I guess the next step is another uninstall and reinstall and I'll let Calibre have its own way about where it goes.
infmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. As far as I know I did not personally install everything in the same folder. I may be misremembering it, but I don't think so.
Well if wasn't you it must have been someone else, or a miscreant rodent. I'd put my money is on the latter, it's very easy to miss what you're aiming at with a mouse, etc.

BR
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #20
infmom

Quote:
Well if wasn't you it must have been someone else, or a miscreant rodent. I'd put my money is on the latter, it's very easy to miss what you're aiming at with a mouse, etc.

BR
Miscreant rodent or no, I just uninstalled Calibre and reinstalled it where it wanted to go, didn't change a thing. It ran and told me I needed to upgrade. So I upgraded. Now I'm back to the same old same old--little blue circle spins for a few seconds and *bzzzzt.*

Got any more solutions?
Advert
Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

No, other than calibre portable, or maybe this ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...50&postcount=3

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-23-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
infmom

I found it!

The answer is that it was the 32-bit version of Calibre that would not run under my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. And after I reinstalled, the shortcut in my Start Menu inexplicably led to a 32-bit installation.

Once I pointed that shortcut in the right direction, all was well.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I found it!

The answer is that it was the 32-bit version of Calibre that would not run under my 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. And after I reinstalled, the shortcut in my Start Menu inexplicably led to a 32-bit installation.

Once I pointed that shortcut in the right direction, all was well.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Nobody has helped you at all. There is something wrong with your Windows 7 and until you find the problem it could just end up getting worse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nobody has helped you at all. There is something wrong with your Windows 7 and until you find the problem it could just end up getting worse.
Jon - if you recall infmom installs calibre in a non standard location - i.e. not C:\Program Files for 64 bit or C:\Program Files (X86) for 32 bit.

My guess is that at some stage he/she mistakenly downloaded the 32bit (I've done it myself) and installed it over the top of the 64 bit. I have no idea what happens in that case - nor am I prepared to try it. I install 32 and 64 bit programs in their standard locations.

BR
Old 09-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Jon - if you recall infmom installs calibre in a non standard location - i.e. not C:\Program Files for 64 bit or C:\Program Files (X86) for 32 bit.

My guess is that at some stage he/she mistakenly downloaded the 32bit (I've done it myself) and installed it over the top of the 64 bit. I have no idea what happens in that case - nor am I prepared to try it. I install 32 and 64 bit programs in their standard locations.

BR
Then infmom should sort this out. Because if it really is an OS issue then that needs to be fixed and if it's a Calibre install issue then it would do to know the OS isn't at fault.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #26
infmom

You guys really should read what I wrote (and the "mom" in my name might possibly be a clue to my gender).

I did not install one version over the other.

I pointed out that I did install it where it wanted to go. And I still had trouble with it not running. Because my shortcut was messed up, not my operating system.

I fixed the shortcut. It works fine. And I was politely thanking people for offering to help me even though in the end I figured it out myself.

Yeesh.......
Old 10-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You guys really should read what I wrote (and the "mom" in my name might possibly be a clue to my gender).

I did not install one version over the other.

I pointed out that I did install it where it wanted to go. And I still had trouble with it not running. Because my shortcut was messed up, not my operating system.

I fixed the shortcut. It works fine. And I was politely thanking people for offering to help me even though in the end I figured it out myself.

Yeesh.......
Glad you got Calibre running. That's not something that is usually an issue. But thanks for telling us what was wrong. Glad it wasn't the OS.