Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Nook ST *with Glowlight* is the best. The seem to have become collector's items. Try buying one on eBay. They regularly go for $90. Buttons, SD card and a lighted screen is a good combo.

I wish B&N would just take the Nook ST body and slap the Glowlight Plus screen in it. I'd buy one for sure.
The body is just an odd shape. The UI is awful. The partitioned memory is a disaster. Overall, a lousy Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The body is just an odd shape.
The body is not oddly shaped. It is quite comfortable to hold. More comfortable to hold naked than the Aura.

I think the Aura HD and Aura H20 are oddly shaped. But I also know that not everyone likes the same thing.

Quote:
The UI is awful.
I liked the UI when I used my Nook, but I will say on Kobo it is overall much better.

On the Nook, I do like the button in the upper left that takes you back to your current book, regardless of what screen you are on. It was much more useful than the home button on the Kobo.

Quote:
The partitioned memory is a disaster.
That was the Nook Glowlight only. And it was a disaster. But I'm talking about the Nook ST with Glowlight. Not only did it not have partitioned memory, it also had an SD card slot, with a cover. I liked it better than the card slot on my current Aura (where the card sticks out of the bottom of the device).

Quote:
Overall, a lousy Reader.
I thought you said that it must always be stated that it is your opinion you are stating. In this case, you are clearly wrong.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
I still use my rooted Nook ST pretty much every day! It is the best ebook reader I've own, and I will use it until it or me can't no more.
I too loved my NST: it's an inexpensive e-ink ereader that can double up as an mp3 player (using a hacked kernel and usb audio adapter), so much so I bought a used unit off ebay just in case my first one ever conked out on me.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #19
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The NST was, at the time, a great device. It was limited by the technology, the screen isn't as good as the current screens, but it's hardly fair to try and compare devices made years apart.

And throughout most, if not all, of that devices lifetime BN was not screwing up too much ebook wise (they had dropped the ball in tablet land though). This was before they removed the ability to download purchases from their website. It was before the funky change to DRM, though that did come in at the end. They had sideloading from public libraries working, though not as smoothly as it could have been it -worked-.

All that said, it's hard to hold the NST up to the current generation of ereaders, imo, the buttons are 'meh', the major bonus to the NST is the SD card slot. And given the storage in say the Kobo Aura One, it's not really that much of an issue for many.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #20
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
AT one time my NST was as essential a component of my ereader arsenal as my Kobo Touch.
I found my NST could re-flow the text of a PDF eBook but couldn't zoom a scanned PDF eBook. By contrast my Kobo Touch could zoom a scanned PDF eBook but couldn't re-flow the text of a PDF eBook.
Thanks to mobileread I found installing additional reader software on both ereaders enabled me to do both on each ereader.
Even so I still use my NST, it's still useful. Though I wish it had a light.
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert