Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
LadyHeather
LadyHeather began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
calibre removes the collection on my device that I made for my library books

I installed Calibre and have been using it for my ebooks for the last few weeks. It works great for the "unrestricted" books I have, when I want to borrow books from my public library I use ADE to get them and transfer to my Sony PRS-350. To keep these library books together I made a "collection" on my device called "Library". So far, so good.

But then when I transferred another book with calibre to my e-reader and turned it back on afterwards the collection "library" was gone! The books are still on my device but the collection is gone.

This only happens with my library books and this collection. I have a few other books on my device in collections that are not in my calibre library and these are left alone.

I did leave the preferences->Import/Export->Sending books to devices on "manual" as intructed in the user manual and so I think calibre is not supposed to delete existing collections from my device... Does anyone know why it happend anyway? does it have anything to do with the "library protection" that is on these books?
LadyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre expects books to be on the device in the folder database/media/books (and subdirectories). If they are somewhere else, then calibre won't see them and thinks they are gone. In this case, it will remove the books from the sony DB. The reader will then put them back into the DB, but the collection is gone.

There is no solution to this other than
a) manually moving the books to where calibre expects them.
b) using calibre instead of ADE to put them on the device.

In general, using both ADE/Sony Reader and calibre at the same time will lead to trouble. This is one example. Periodicals are another.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
LadyHeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
But can I use Calibre to get books from my public library? I thought I could only use Calibre for "unrestricted" books...

I will also take a look at where the books are on my device.. since I put some other books on it using the sony software, in a collection which doesn't have books in it put on the device using Calibre, and Calibre leaves these collection intact.. but maybe these books somehow are in the right place and the library books aren't?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHeather View Post
But can I use Calibre to get books from my public library? I thought I could only use Calibre for "unrestricted" books...
Use ADE to get the books, but you can add these books to calibre so calibre is the only software interfacing with your device. This way you don't get any surprises, like collections that disappear.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
LadyHeather

I will try that then! Thanks
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
LadyHeather

Quote:
Thanx a lot!

I moved the books and now it works! the only feature that is gone is the little clock ting that counts back on the days I have left for my library books... but at least they stay at the collection I made!