Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
HackerBoy
HackerBoy began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Browsing the Web with the iLiad . . .

To browse the internet with the iLiad, which is most recommended . . .

dillo
Minimo
Elinks
Webkit

or another?

Any suggestions? I'm using my iLiad for flying . . . eFlyBook. I don't want to break anything where I would not be able to use eFlyBook.

Would sure appreciate any suggestions from someone with a working browsing iLiad.

Thanks in advance,
HackerBoy
JMR@ReynoldsCo.net
HackerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackerBoy View Post
To browse the internet with the iLiad, which is most recommended . . .
It depends on what do you intend to surf. Each of them has its own drawbacks. I've only used dillo as it filled my needs but the version compiled for the iliad is a quick port that lacks a lot of features.

Just to guide you a little:

On top of my head:

dillo: PROS: very fast CONS: no ssl, no bookmarks, no internationalization (russian, chinese, japanese..).

minimo: PROS: it's already included; you only have to "unlock" it CONS: very slow

midori (webkit): PROS: rather modern rendering engine CONS: ??? (I've not tested it)

elinks: have not tested it on the iliad, so I cannot say. In the desktop it is slower than dillo, and the rendering is somewhat ugly, but supports more characteristics than dillo.

And no one has tried to port "Net Surf" yet, which should be somewhat slower than dillo, but has a little more standards compliance AFAIK.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
In fact, I tried to compile Net Surf once, but I failed. I will try it after a new version comes out.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
HackerBoy

Thanks for the info Antartica. About Dillo . . . seems like all the posts are kinda old. Have you actually ported the updated Dillo 2.0? Or has anyone?

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Thanks for the info Antartica. About Dillo . . . seems like all the posts are kinda old. Have you actually ported the updated Dillo 2.0? Or has anyone?
No, I've not managed to get time to tackle it. Ericshliao attempted to just compile it, but there were problems that prevented a successful dillo executable.

I want to get xepdmgr 2.0 out as soon as possible, so any time I have will be spent in that. After that I can refocus again on dillo .

Do you have any special needs that current dillo lacks? I say it because if it's a simple thing to support I might do an exception an put another dillo with that .
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
HackerBoy

Thanks Antartica. This is imtimidating to me even though I have programmed business applications using C#. Dillo is appealing to me because of your mention of SPEED. That is more important to me than a friendly interface. The only use I would have for a browser on the iLiad is just to just to get quick information. If I wanted to interact or send info I would use my laptop. For example, as a pilot I could get destination weather while at a fuel stop that had wifi without waiting in line for my turn to use it. Antartica, thanks again & I'll try to monitor your future posts.

I was going to follow your Dec 5 06 instructions & use Dillo 2, but I was wondering about the connection script . . . so I chickened out!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
I was going to follow your Dec 5 06 instructions & use Dillo 2, but I was wondering about the connection script . . . so I chickened out!
AFIK, there is no working dillo2 for iLiad released in the forum.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
HackerBoy

Thanks Eric! If anyone hears of a successful iLaid browser using Dillo 2, I would sure appreciate the news.