Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #16
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!
gr8day2b began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
NOTE: I have not done this, but...
My understanding is that you should be able to bring up adobe DE with the nook connected and register it.
I'll have to check into it...by "adobe DE" do we mean launching an Adobe program? I followed the steps for registering under the Sony Bookstore (per the help in the bookstore app), and don't see the nook recognized. I was hoping the sony book library would see an unregistered device, so I could select and register.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so if there's other threads someone could point me to, I'm happy to check there.
gr8day2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8day2b View Post
I'll have to check into it...by "adobe DE" do we mean launching an Adobe program? I followed the steps for registering under the Sony Bookstore (per the help in the bookstore app), and don't see the nook recognized. I was hoping the sony book library would see an unregistered device, so I could select and register.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so if there's other threads someone could point me to, I'm happy to check there.

That's the tricky part that I'm unsure about. In the older versions of the Sony Reader Library Adobe Digital Editions had to be installed first. But the newer version does a "background authorization" so it depends on how your system is set up.

I know with my Adobe DE I have my Sony Readers as well as my Astak PP authorized and could read DRM'd books on any of them.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Congratulations. Hmmm, I thought they were making a big deal about having displays in the stores. I've not seen them at my local store either. It would be nice to be able to actually see it work before you bought it.
Considering that the physical store presence is a major advantage over one competitor, I'd think so too. Something else might be brewing over there if they decided not to announce store availability of nooks.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
dsalinas
dsalinas began at the beginning.

We had the same kind of experience with the stores. I called around first and all three stores said something like "I haven't heard of us getting any- I have no idea". I did order mine online and had to wait a week because of the snow storms up north. Got it yesterday. I was so dissappointed that there is no backlighting. I just assumed...
dsalinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #20
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalinas View Post
We had the same kind of experience with the stores. I called around first and all three stores said something like "I haven't heard of us getting any- I have no idea". I did order mine online and had to wait a week because of the snow storms up north. Got it yesterday. I was so dissappointed that there is no backlighting. I just assumed...
I'm new to ebooks like yourself. I received my Nook about 10 days ago. I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas. From what I have read on this forum, not having a back light is often preferred. Supposedly there is less eye strain with e-ink. If you read in low light conditions you can always purchase a light. They are quite a few options for lights available. I have the M-Edge light that fits into the cover.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I'm new to ebooks like yourself. I received my Nook about 10 days ago. I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas. From what I have read on this forum, not having a back light is often preferred. Supposedly there is less eye strain with e-ink. If you read in low light conditions you can always purchase a light. They are quite a few options for lights available. I have the M-Edge light that fits into the cover.

~eddie
My friend, who is an avid reader, said the same regarding the advantages of not having a back-lite. The screen would be too bright after a while I realized she was right. You can't read for long periods of time on a regular computer or laptop screen...it burns your eyes. I'm assuming with eInk being the standard it's known (within the industry) that it's the best method of reading electronically.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalinas View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, dsalinas.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #23
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
In regards to those having issues registering the nook with ADE, the solution (at least for us MAC people) is to not use a mac. As crappy as it sounds, that's the way it is. The ADE software is kind of wonky with OSX. It doesn't recognize anything plugged in. I had to boot up XP on parallels then DL ADE. Next you need to"attach" the USB device to the virtual machine, or use bootcamp. After that, it was recognized right away and I had no problems transferring my sony files to nook
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #24
caseyj77
caseyj77 began at the beginning.

I also received my Nook yesterday in the mail. I ordered it on Monday evening the emial i received said to expect it Friday. I was completely shocked when it arrived two full days early. I charged it, and did the set up while it was charging, i just couldn't wait for it to fully charge.

I love the shopping on the nook it is very easy(i spent way to much money on books and magazines)
The newspaper and magazine subscription is nice I hope they will expand there selections.

All in all i really like the nook it is easy to read even with dim lighting just wish it was backlit for reading in bed.
caseyj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #25
FireRunner
eAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj77 View Post
I also received my Nook yesterday in the mail. I ordered it on Monday evening the emial i received said to expect it Friday. I was completely shocked when it arrived two full days early. I charged it, and did the set up while it was charging, i just couldn't wait for it to fully charge.

I love the shopping on the nook it is very easy(i spent way to much money on books and magazines)
The newspaper and magazine subscription is nice I hope they will expand there selections.

All in all i really like the nook it is easy to read even with dim lighting just wish it was backlit for reading in bed.
Congrats on your new Nook!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #26
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj77 View Post
Just buy a light for your Nook. There are a lot of choices out there. e-ink is less strain on your eyes than backlighted screens.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #27
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Finally Got My nook

Just wanted to let everyone know I returned from my business trip last night and my nook and Industrielle case were waiting for me. I let it charge overnight and now that I've had an hour or two to play with it, I am very pleased.

I didn't think to order a micro SD card for it so I will pick one up when I go return the Sony Daily Edition I have been testing for the past two weeks. Comparing the screens, I definitely think the nook provides better contrast.

Also, I like the fact that the nook is Android based and very flexible with developers improving on the firmware. If there was some way for B&N to provide and SDK so we didn't have to worry about updates, it would be even better.

Do I have any questions? Not yet but I am sure some will come along once I play more with the device. I will be doing the softroot thing once I get the SD card.

Thanks to all; this forum played a large role in helping me make the decision.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Lionel, glad you like it and good luck with it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
harliquin
harliquin began at the beginning.

Got mine yesterday from the store. Same story, behind the cash register. The lady at customer service did know where they were. No accessories though. I really wanted a case.
harliquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #30
FireRunner
eAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harliquin View Post
Got mine yesterday from the store. Same story, behind the cash register. The lady at customer service did know where they were. No accessories though. I really wanted a case.
I guess the Nook is displayed on a store-by-store basis. Both B&N stores near me have huge displays in front of the walk in with demos and a buffet of cases and accessories! I lucked out!