Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-22-2017, 01:04 AM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Multicore processor

Which Onyx devices use a multicore processor?
I thought the C67ML was the only one, but I see that also the Kepler Pro does.

Note: most/many Onyx devices seem to use "Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite" processors; more capable processors (such as "i.MX 6DualLite") not only have reduced delays through the multicore but also have extra features like 3d acceleration, which is required by some software (not necessarily 3d, just graphic accelerated).

Can anyone share comparative experience of single core vs. multicore?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
The only Onyx eReaders who has imx.6 Dualcore are the ones you mentioned. Icarus has a couple of eReaders with a multicore processor to.

I have the C67ML, but due the small RAM (512), you can not get many advantage of the processor.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the forthcoming devices are using the Rockchip RK3288, I am ready to drool.
That thing runs a full fledge Linux desktop with reduced compromise.
Here is a page for one implementation, the Asus TinkerBoard, presenting some performance values.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard

...benchmarks make you dream even further...

I tested the standard boards used by Onyx for most devices (i.MX 6SoloLite, or "ARM Freescale @ 996 MHz"), and consistently with other users I get the value of 285 in the Geekbench 3 scale (the Geekbench 3 scale uses as its parameter the Mid 2011 Mac mini with Intel Core i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, defined as value 2500). The "Onyx MC_C67ML_Carta" declares a "ARM RK30board @ 912 MHz" with values 275 single-core and 450 multi-core; the Kepler Pro should employ something better, but nobody run the tests.

Comparatively speaking, a high end mobile device could have values of 1000 single-core and 4000 multi-core; a high end desktop of 4000 single-core and 16000 multicore.

So, still dreaming: for example a Rockchip RK3288 would have values of around 800 to 850 single-core, around 2100 to 2500 multi-core. That's three times the current boards employed by Onyx, without even counting the multi-core.

I am counting the minutes. And I'd love, even before seeing it, to know what the future reserves.

Last edited by mdp; 09-24-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Just out of curiosity, which onyx device are you expecting to come out in the next time with multicore? The only one I'm aware of would be the Max 2.
I'm totally on board with your dreaming, just careful about going for more than they'll give us. Maybe have a look at the new Boyue likebook, that's got a rockchip quadcore, Bluetooth, carta! Sounds great, except for the deplorable lack of an sd card slot - I don't know what they were thinking! Might be great for running a little chroot Linux, but at 12gb usable space, it gets too tight to have a Linux image with latex and a reasonable amount of documents on it... Shame. But maybe it'll spur on onyx to actually use quad core in smaller devices too.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
which onyx device are you expecting to come out in the next time with multicore? The only one I'm aware of would be the Max 2. [...]
But maybe it'll spur on onyx to actually use quad core in smaller devices too.
The Max2, certainly. Waiting eagerly. The flagship should be flagship all around!

Onyx already started equipping devices a bit better, see the Kepler Pro. Probably the matter now is deciding the new hardware platform, a consolidated choice for a number of products.

Quote:
JMaybe have a look at the new Boyue likebook, that's got a rockchip quadcore, Bluetooth, carta!
That's very interesting, thank you!
I see in the Geekbench 3 resut that in Feb 2016 Boyue was using an "ARM RK30board @ 1.01 GHz", performant 310 single-core and 535 multi-core; that's an improvent. We'll see what the new boards will be, on either side.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Onyx already started equipping devices a bit better, see the Kepler Pro. Probably the matter now is deciding the new hardware platform, a consolidated choice for a number of products.
Oh yes. Onyx have already decided: to go back in time. Android 4.0 and with single core for upcoming 10.3" Boox Note and Typewriter. Consolidating older hardware similar to Onyx Max or N96.
https://youtu.be/jF1b3qgw-K4
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 AM   #8
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Oh yes. Onyx have already decided: to go back in time. Android 4.0 and with single core for upcoming 10.3" Boox Note and Typewriter. Consolidating older hardware similar to Onyx Max or N96.
(Sorry I cannot check video before replying, mobility)

But on the other hand we know that something is moving. Those prototypes could certainly be a legacy
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
But on the other hand we know that something is moving. Those prototypes could certainly be a legacy
Oh yes. Something is still moving. But since 2015 Onyx did not move much:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
The first version (of Boox Max) will be i.mx6 + 1G + 8G.
Approximately six month later should be possible to offer Plus version with i.mx7dl + 2G + 16G/32G .. (we are still discussing to add dual touch screen functionality in the Plus)
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Oh yes. Something is still moving. But since 2015 Onyx did not move much:
Interesting ref, thanks!
So they were considering i.MX 7Dual, as in SABRESD_MX7D...
They must have realized then that it was hardly worth it, and I agree. Check the numbers and the data. i.MX 6DualLite looks better than its "upgrade": the "6" supports GL and the "7" does not... And the numbers do not show improvenents. There are better options to make a jump.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #11
mdp
Wizard

Expected performances - as a not so wild guess - of the forthcoming high-end Onyx devices: Geekbench 3 values of 490 single core and 1200 multi core.
Or, +75% gain on single core and 4+ times as fast as current (when all is well).

EDIT: and take into consideration that the Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite in "almost legacy" Onyx devices is almost always choked, always something to process in queue (CPU load almost always > 1)... With the presence of more cores, responsiveness is facilitated as it is radically easier to find an idle actor to serve you.

http://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3/8466789

EDIT: before I was guessing using other people's input, now I am doing my own direct tests, on presumably similar boards.

Last edited by mdp; 10-18-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:55 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Maybe have a look at the new Boyue likebook, that's got a rockchip quadcore, Bluetooth, carta!
Ah, now I remember, so YOU were the one that got me into this! ; )
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #13
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Ah, now I remember, so YOU were the one that got me into this! ; )
Glad to be of service and very interested in all sorts of insights, so thanks for your various tests!
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #14
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Glad to be of service and very interested in all sorts of insights, so thanks for your various tests!
I am afraid the device (Icarus/Boyue) is somehow promising but... I am about to write a ten points or so letter to Dutch part, I hope they will send me a feedback very soon.

Just something to mention, since this is the thread about CPU capabilities: the device can often be unresponsive.
The system often seems to demand more than 2.5 "cores" of work (CPU load). So I suppose you have, say, on median case, 1.2 of idle available. With 70% already eaten by the system... Well, you have the remaining core and a bit more.
And anyway, you simply often touch screen buttons with the responsiveness that you expect, well, from paper. That which comes from wood, not that which comes from silicon and mates.
That the CPU is faster, you can see e.g. from the speed with which Librera renders the coverpages for the document browsing views - there you see a 5x speed if compared to the "almost legacy" Onyx devices. Otherwise, the experience is generally comparable to what we are used to (and oftentimes much worse, but this would bring us off-topic).

People who criticize Onyx for their firmwares do not really know anything about the effort and undertaking to make things work well. The average Onyx devices are continuously in debt for processing power, yet they are "magically" responsive, mostly without surprises - given that you already know they are not based on cheetas.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #15
mdp
Wizard

This is what happens when you tell your wife "I am sure you will not mind, but I met this bimbo, apparently she's full of silicon, I'm curious..."

EDIT: With the difference that if, after the evening, the bimbo is found unresponsive, somebody calls the police. So, we can call this a lighter case.