Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have read of people using a trackball because of RSI or to prevent getting RSI. It usually works.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #137
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I've not heard of any wrist-strengthening exercises, and I've been in and out of physio with wrist and shoulder problems. I used to sail and it's noticeable how much strength I've lost in my wrists and forearms in the intervening years. The days when I could spend 30 minutes playing a jib sheet on a long reach are long gone.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #138
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
... I used to sail and it's noticeable how much strength I've lost in my wrists and forearms in the intervening years. The days when I could spend 30 minutes playing a jib sheet on a long reach are long gone.
I have sailed all my life and when I was a teenager racing sailing dinghies, for 6 months or so I had wrists that were very painful to move. The doctor put it down to holding the loaded mainsheet with my wrist locked for long periods. I grew out of it or something else happened and it went away all by itself.

Now, for us, everything is on self tailing winches so just tired shoulders at times.

Never had a problem with mice though, nor using LCD displays (nor even the old green, etc. cathode ray tube monitors) .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #139
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I developed bad wrists from doing needlework. It was 5 years before I could even touch a needle. Now I can only craft for a few minutes at a time. It also made it difficult to take notes in some college classes.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #140
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I try not to bend my wrist when I use a mouse.

Has anyone ever tried exercises to strengthen the wrist? If so, do they work?
Well, I can't speak for others but I have found that lifting 12 to 32 ounces of yellow or amber liquid in an Ice Cold mug to work wonders. Think about it, you have to hold the mug reasonably steady with an immobile wrist, yet still have enough fine motor control to get it to your mouth without spilling. It is the perfect wrist exercise.

And if you are anything like me, I've found that the more beer I drink, the more charming and good looking I become. I have, on occasion, gotten so good looking and charming that not only has my wife had to drive me home, but that she was in such awe of my charm and good looks that she wouldn't speak to me for 2 days.

Do this for your health, if for no other reason.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #141
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
It looks as if no one has read the article in the link. Here's your chance to check your opinions against the facts.

According to The Conversation, by way of Scientific American, LED flicker can cause headaches.

Here are some quotes:
Quote:
Scientists used to think we could see no more than about 90 flashes of light a second but now we know it’s more like 2,000 because the eyes move so rapidly when we change gaze from one point to another. During the eye movement, the flicker of light creates a pattern that we can see.
Quote:
To find out, my colleagues and I asked people to make a saccade across a flickering source of light and to report when they could see a pattern of multiple images of the light during the eye movement. When the light flickered 1,000 times a second the pattern could clearly be seen. At about 3,000 per second, the images became invisible.
Quote:
In contrast, some LEDs flash only 400 times per second. This flicker is still far too rapid to be seen directly, but some people can see multiple images of the lamps every time they make a saccade, which is unpleasantly distracting.
I realize this topic is about LCDs but according to some of the comments here they are illuminated by LEDs.

Link.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #142
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
And now I know what a saccade is.
SleepyBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #143
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Well it definitely does not as this is what Meera posted in the body of their post in order to make the incorrect inference that I claimed that no one using a mouse suffered from RSI.

The quote "without complaint" is quoted from my post.

This is what I actually said

Go back and check, you will see that what I have said regarding selective quoting in the body of Meera's post is correct. You will no doubt agree that my stating pretty much everyone in my post made it clear that I believe that some mouse users do suffer from RSI.

All clear now? I hope so because I am dead tired of this carry on and I am sure many others are too.
I'm talking about the actual quote in the post. The part in the box. That has NOT been altered, and that is the part that should never be altered.

Did you really not know that? How long have you been posting on forums?

All clear now?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 PM   #144
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm talking about the actual quote in the post. The part in the box. That has NOT been altered, and that is the part that should never be altered.

Did you really not know that? How long have you been posting on forums?

All clear now?

Shari
Nowhere did I claim it was altered. You are the one who claimed that I altered it so I don't understand your response. I'll leave it at that.

I am not sure why you are asking but as you have asked, I assume with a genuine interest rather than a poisonous one, I have been posting on forums and their forerunners for more than 2 decades.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote