Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 03:23 AM   #1
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Embedded font problem

Recently I downloaded an epub book and found a myriad of fonts in the various classes in the stylesheet. Normally I deal with this by changing them to "Arial" (my favorite obviously!) and that solves it.

For this book I had to change seven fonts, which were all that were showing in the twenty-nine categories. BUT, on going back to book view, nothing else had changed at all (in the twenty-two classes without specific font families being listed)!!. In the past I have looked for (and usually found....) 'inherit' which has been clogging things up but there was no sign of 'inherit' here.

I even tried (after changing the seven fonts) using Calibre to convert epub to epub: that too has worked in the past. This time - no joy!!

My only workaround has been to manually enter ' font-family: "Arial"; ' in EACH of the twentynine classes . . . .

Any ideas where the embedded fonts might be hiding?? I think I've looked everywhere.
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:29 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sometimes you will find an eBook that has fonts specified, but no font files. It happens. I just delete the font-family lines in the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Embedded means the font EXISTS inside the book.
Sigil keeps those in the Fonts sub-folder as shown in the book browser.

You can have a Font USAGE (@font) that simply relies on the CURRENT device to supply at view time. That may work in Sigil, as it has the Computers Font collection to draw from

Not Working:
'fontfamily' in the styles, must match the @font
Sigil does not care what the familyname is (some devices DO require this match the internal name of the font ) as long as they match the usage. CASE MATTERS. use the same everyplace. Spaces in the Family require that be quoted "Has Space", serif; I saw a book that the whole string was quoted "Has Space, serif" ; the commas are alternate separators. they must be outside quotes
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I seem to have stumbled on an answer: the above is informative but seemingly not applicable here.
Each chapter starts with a 'div' whose category is "Basic-Text-Frame". I fuond that by finding that entry in the stylesheet and adding my font-family line to it, Arial was indeed applied to all chapters......
Old 07-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you really using frames? If so, don't. bad idea.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
rbruce1314
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Never as prime user - but if that's what a book comes with I'm not experienced enough to get rid of it . . . .
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is just a stupid, 'House' stye name
Old 07-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I've noticed a <div> surrounding each chapter in some books before...never really understood the need. Is that a requirement of ePub3 or something?

You could just as easily apply any styling to the <body> or <p> tags one time in the CSS and have it accomplish much the same thing.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is just a stupid, 'House' stye name
Thanks for correcting my mistake.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for correcting my mistake.
There are some strang coding conventions out there. Not Wrong, just unnecessarily convoluted as Turtle91 noted.
A tag with 3 spans covering the entire block
IMHO time for a new (simple) style that does all 4 things with 1 (CSS) lookup
Old 07-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I've noticed a <div> surrounding each chapter in some books before...
I saw it in one of my books! Can't remember the details now. It was on Sigil, but likely I had created the book with Word or raw html in the olden days, 2007-2012. I deleted the the divs.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There are some strang coding conventions out there. Not Wrong, just unnecessarily convoluted as Turtle91 noted.
I really dislike spans used for bold and italic.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I've noticed a <div> surrounding each chapter in some books before...never really understood the need. Is that a requirement of ePub3 or something?

You could just as easily apply any styling to the <body> or <p> tags one time in the CSS and have it accomplish much the same thing.
Quote:
Just to jump in with an observation, whenever I get a new book, the first thing I do is to open it up in Sigil. My intent here is to see if I can learn new tricks, procedures, and ways to build an e-book.

But more frequently, what I find are new ways not to do things. Then I'll see that there's some indication that the book was built with one of those "instant e-book maker" programs (names escape me right now) and they've done exactly what you said, Turtle, placed a <div> around the whole chapter, or loaded the text up with unnecessary <div>s, or whatever.

And it's a constant reminder, not all programs are as well made as Sigil.

Of course, the user can then turn around and muck things up. (This is the voice of experience speaking here...) But there's not much you can do to protect against that!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When using older lower resolution Readers, you want to (at least) remove all excess CSS styles and if the graphics (including the cover) are much higher resolution, you want to lower the resolution. These older devices can crash, freeze, or temporarily freeze while processing these hi-res images and/or CSS.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #15
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
It's interesting what people have been saying about divs and empty spans on this thread. Divs and empty spans all over your ebook html after you have converted it with some conversion program has always irritated me as well. That's one of the reasons I wrote the CustomCleanerPlus plugin. It automatically removes all empty spans(spans that contain no styling or classes) and it also gives you the option to remove all divs from your ebook in one hit as well.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote