Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
Backup and restoring Kindle3

Hi,
I recently had to start my kindle3 over because it broke and I got a new one.
I was able to download the kindle collections (they were old for some reason but it did help) and amazon purchased books quite easily. But I lost everything else like:
-web browser bookmarks
-personal docs (and their collection locations)
-mp3
-personal news feeds (periodicals from calibre)
-notes and bookmarks of personal docs and personal periodicals

So my questions are:
-Which files and folders do I need to copy to have a backup of all the above? (please explain each)
-If I do have a backup would restoring these files to my new kindle have worked? Or are these files kindle specific? (notes and bookmarks on personal books)
-Would connecting the K3 to USB and copying everything over and then taking that and replacing all the files on the new K3 have worked?
-Have you successfuly restored these onto a new kindle?

thanks for your time,
Sylvie
PS: I am trying to be better prepared in the unlikely event that this happens to me again (well I hope it's unlikely anyway lol)
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Here's some ideas/workarounds (or the answers). Bookmarks are the trickiest.

Web Browser Bookmarks
Option 1 (if you are into jailbreaking, I'm not): http://kindle-bookmark-editor.appspot.com/
Option 2: Create your own 'book', which just so happens to be a bunch of links to web pages. Keep that in Calibre; so if you update it, you can update it and re-send it to your Kindle.
Option 3: Leverage a bookmark web site. I happen to use http://m.delicious.com/MyLoginNameAtDelicious. That way, the only bookmark I need to recreate is just that 1.

Personal Docs
Option 1: Backup the entire contents of Kindle:\Documents
Option 2 (if you have Calibre, this is what I do): In Calibre, after you connect your Kindle, if your Kindle doesn't have a check mark next to a personal book in the column for "In Library", use Calibre to copy that personal doc from your Kindle to your Calibre Library

mp3
Backup the contents of Kindle:\Music

Periodicals from Calibre
I don't use this feature, but the logical place is to keep them in Calibre. If your K3 goes walkabout, you can transfer them back from Calibre to the new Kindle.

Notes and bookmarks of personal docs and personal periodicals
Kindle:\documents, the file "My Clippings.txt"

Last edited by slkissinger; 08-19-2011 at 02:09 PM.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
slkissinger: Thank you for the great reply. I appreciate the time you put in it. I too have not jailbroken my kindle. I like the kindle the way it is. I thought the font was an issue at first until Calibre made the option available to change. I changed it a few times but quickly bored of it and haven't bothered changing this one... but I digress...

funny you should mention the web page with the bookmarks and sending it to the kindle. That's how I decided to quickly add my bookmarks to my replacement kindle. I will keep this doc and update it on my computer as necessary.

PhillipA82: I agree. I'm usually real good at doing this stuff but never got around to it the first time. I treat my kindle with such kit gloves. I really didn't think I'd be the one to break it.
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote