Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Mine was from the Amazon app on iPhone which I figured was the least altered source outside of whatever tinkering Amazon does
This is from a browser that I never use Amazon on, where I was not logged in:

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-21 (2)_LI.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	173599  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On Amazon.com when I search for just kobo, I get a Kobo aura and then some Kindles and then Rolling Stone recommendations. And then I get more Kobo with Kindle mixed in.

So basically the search results are rubbish. I have to search for Kobo Reader for the results to be correct.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #48
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It is for me as well, three Kobo readers.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #49
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On Amazon.com when I search for just kobo, I get a Kobo aura and then some Kindles and then Rolling Stone recommendations. And then I get more Kobo with Kindle mixed in.

So basically the search results are rubbish. I have to search for Kobo Reader for the results to be correct.

Amazon (US) searches leave a whole lot to be desired. They seem to return (other than items labeled AD), many unrelated items.
The Filters need to be more useful, in they should fit the Items needed selection method. (show me: All sizes, All colors, of this item )
And don't LOSE the search term while paging thru pages of the results
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #50
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quite honestly, it doesn't matter how Amazon might or might not rig search results. They carry just about every brand under the sun. It is up to the user to decide what they want.

If they are so weak/stupid that they will only buy what is first put in front of their face, then that's on them.

I know what I want when I go on there, and I ignore everything else until I get the one I want at the price I'm willing to pay.

Of course Amazon is going to promote their product above everything else, that how promotion works.

It's up to the individual to know what they want to get. People need to accept responsibility for their own choices and stop looking to blame anything/one else for them.
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #51
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
If they are so weak/stupid that they will only buy what is first put in front of their face, then that's on them.
The problem is when certain items or brands don't show up in a search, even though Amazon does have them. I've had that happen often enough, and end up using another search engine in a browser, just to find the items on Amazon.

If you assume Amazon is giving you correct search results, and you don't see the exact item/brand you're looking for so you buy another brand, when all along the correct item is there, just hidden from search results, that's wrong.

Calling customers stupid or weak isn't right.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Quite honestly, it doesn't matter how Amazon might or might not rig search results. They carry just about every brand under the sun. It is up to the user to decide what they want.
It doesn't matter if they carry just about everything if it can't be found without a lot repeated searches trying to guess the exact incantation to make it show up in the results at all.

Often the brand and model name are not enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The problem is when certain items or brands don't show up in a search, even though Amazon does have them. I've had that happen often enough, and end up using another search engine in a browser, just to find the items on Amazon.

If you assume Amazon is giving you correct search results, and you don't see the exact item/brand you're looking for so you buy another brand, when all along the correct item is there, just hidden from search results, that's wrong.

j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #53
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

I believe the assumption is that Amazon should cater to you, and you alone. Or rather that they should cater to the same type of customer as yourself. They do not, and may not be interested in you at all. If you search and already know you want a specific name brand item and model number, then you are simply using Amazon to comparison shop. It is okay to cater to comparison shoppers that want to save a buck, but if you do it too well you are stuck with the reputation of only catering to them.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #54
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:

I have found that Amazon's search is not especially different than Google or Bing or any search software used by other companies in that the results depend on the use of the search words, even the reverse of 2 words could give a different result.

The idea that Amazon 'carries' lots of different items warrant its use. e.g I tried to get a replacement wash basin filter insert from Home Depot & Lowes as both are "local" & nearby. Problem is both stores did not have what I wanted as anything above 1 1/2 gpm is a special order item as it was 'not in stock'. Amazon had the item, in fact, I was able to get a 3 gpm filter as I might as well order it from Amazon with free shipping instead of the local outlets.

I have been doing a "search" for 4g flip phones because of another poster's true comment about the demise of 3g usage for flip phones. Google, Amazon, Verizon & Bing results are different when searching for "flip phones" & "basic phones" even if both terms apply to the same things, mostly, depending on the sellers.

Walmart's search is even worst as Walmart often claims that there is "1 available" for an item when going to the store, none exist.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #55
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I believe the assumption is that Amazon should cater to you, and you alone. Or rather that they should cater to the same type of customer as yourself. They do not, and may not be interested in you at all. If you search and already know you want a specific name brand item and model number, then you are simply using Amazon to comparison shop. It is okay to cater to comparison shoppers that want to save a buck, but if you do it too well you are stuck with the reputation of only catering to them.
I don't consider it irrational to expect accurate results from a search, i.e. return all the results that match a search and don't return results that don't match the search. It's not a question of catering to specific customers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #56
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
A couple of weeks ago I bought a new laptop from Amazon. I tried to find just what I was looking for on their site and finally gave up. I went to Best Buy's site and searched and found the model that I wanted and then went back to Amazon, found it and bought it.

I don't think the problem is just Amazon promoting their own stuff. I think it's more that they're sloppy. I couldn't search for an IPS display, for example. That's an important consideration in a laptop. I could search for a specific SSD size but not for that size or larger. I wanted something with at least one USB C port but that wasn't a search option. I probably looked at a few hundred laptops their over generalized search brought me and I never saw the one I ended up buying.

Another new Amazon issue happens when I use the browser on my phone to look for something on their site. Every time I get a popup suggesting I install the Amazon app instead. It has a very large button that will take me to that app in Google Play and a very tiny line of text I can tap to opt out. But it's very difficult to opt out and not accidentally end up in Google play. I called Amazon to complain about this and they suggested I turn off pop-ups in Chrome but I already have them off. They couldn't offer any other suggestions.

Amazon used to brag about being customer centric and in a lot of ways they still are. But more and more they're also getting customer irritating.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #57
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't consider it irrational to expect accurate results from a search, i.e. return all the results that match a search and don't return results that don't match the search. It's not a question of catering to specific customers.
You realize that both google and bing cater their search results based on many things other than content, right? Two users sitting next to each other can do the same search and get different results. Search results are not agnostic anywhere, and haven't been for a very long time. They depend on physical location, user profile, browser type, browser agent, and many other things that are known only to google and bing (no matter what the SEO "experts" tell you, they are only guessing)

If you expect a search to *only* show you relevant items, you need to travel back in time a few years.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #58
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
If you search and already know you want a specific name brand item and model number, then you are simply using Amazon to comparison shop.
The same I "comparison shop" on any B&M or online retailer. But it's been my experience the last few years that online and B&M shops keep prices more similar than in times past, even keeping up with price changes minute by minute.

Your comment makes it sound like there is something wrong with comparison shopping. But doesn't almost everyone do that? We rarely buy anything costing more than $20 without doing research beforehand.

I don't care if Amazon stacks the deck, and places their brands at the top of a search list. But I do expect them to have search results reflected correctly. B&M's place their items in premium spots, but they don't hide other brands in the basement totally out of view.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #59
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Bingo! It also sounds like a lot of people are impatient and want to find what they want right now rather than having to do a bit of searching or guess work to find what they want.

There is nothing wrong with comparison shopping, or going to another site to find exactly what I want then putting that precise title into Amazon to pop up. I recently did it when I went to replace my old Sony tv with a new Sony tv. I first went to Sony and found a few that desirable, and then plugged them into Amazon til I made my decision. Yes, it might have taken a bit longer, but at the end of the day I got exactly what I wanted and from the comfort of my home pc.

There is no such thing as a perfect search engine.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
There is no such thing as a perfect search engine.
I'm not demanding perfection, I'm looking for there to be at least some relevant results.

Sometimes I can't even get the category I'm looking for to come up, even with multiple variations of the search.

Most of the time that happens, but way too often, it does not.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote