Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Colour eInk in 2020?

Hi, a couple of coloured things!

I found that video promising 10" colour eInk in 2020, and want to talk about it with all of you. The video is from 4 months ago, and didnt find any comment here.

https://youtu.be/N1BAYfzCzu4

On the description it says it works with a TFT layer on the background, and many prototypes have been sent to different brands, promising more performance and thinnes on the final product. The prototype in the video has thousends of colours, and it is supposed to have much more on the final product, and an improvement on the lag as well.

To have this marvellous screen on 2020 is not on my mind, but my concern is if the TFT will add a backlight on the device, making it unusuable for me and for many, because of the eyestrain. Does anyone know if TFT implies backlight?

And the other is the colour filter showed on the CES 2020 by Hisense. I talk about a colour filter and not about a color screen because on the following video explains it (It is in italian, but here is the only place where I found the info)

https://youtu.be/R241f-krUzA

Its not millions of colours, but for me it would be enough, as it would suppose a major improvement from black and white. Just hope they deploy it at a 10", and I will pay for it. For those who doesnt understand it, it says on the end of 2020 it can be released, but regarding all the experience we have on this kind of announcements, both filter or the screen from above will appear on 2021. Anyway, it will be very welcome.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You missed this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ht=Color+e-ink
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Next year for sure!
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I doubt color eink is coming soon
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Indeed. Also I explain why apart from commercial likelihood being low, it's really physically infeasible without some as yet unavailable display technology. You'd need 3 transparent layers that are clear, or yellow / cyan / magenta on top of the existing mono eink. The eink is opaque.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Does anyone know if TFT implies backlight?
No.
TFT = Thin Film Transistor. Or sometimes called an amorphous transistor. They are transistors that are neither 1mm x 1mm chips* nor an IC*, but somehow printed or fabricated on separate panel, anything from 1" to 80" diagonal. Obviously decent larger or higher resolution LCDs need them and the panel can be mostly transparent, needed for LCDs. However other kinds of display that don't use a transparent panel can use TFTs.

[* Usually silicon, but very old transistors were Germanium and very high frequency parts in Satellite Dish LNBs use Gallium compounds.]
Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Indeed. Also I explain why apart from commercial likelihood being low, it's really physically infeasible without some as yet unavailable display technology. You'd need 3 transparent layers that are clear, or yellow / cyan / magenta on top of the existing mono eink. The eink is opaque.
There is nothing appealing in any of the videos I've seen showing color e-ink. I've seen many over the past 10 years, and they've always looked this way, muddy and muted. I'll stick with my Kindles for 98% of my reading, and I'll use my iPad mini or Pro when I need sharp color.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I doubt color eink is coming soon
Fusion comes first.
Then we get commercially viable eink on readers.
Nobody should be holding their breath. Not healthy.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-10-2020 at 07:31 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have wanted a nuclear powered reader for some time. Never have to charge it and it glows in the dark.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Add a solar charged USB power bank. It's a safe and portable form of real time fusion power. Oil, gas, coal and wood are stored energy from fusion power.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:34 AM   #11
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
It seems we are closer than most of us think:

https://cntechpost.com/2020/03/19/ir...ink-reader-c6/
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
and another here....

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...color-e-reader
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It looks like one of those early colorized Turner films from 25-odd years ago. Remember how Turner bastardized the Capra Christmas classic, "It's A Wonderful Life"?

That's what it looks like - in my opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
and if goodereader says it, it probably won't happen.
See the Voyage 2 for an example
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #15
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No.
TFT = Thin Film Transistor. Or sometimes called an amorphous transistor. They are transistors that are neither 1mm x 1mm chips* nor an IC*, but somehow printed or fabricated on separate panel, anything from 1" to 80" diagonal. Obviously decent larger or higher resolution LCDs need them and the panel can be mostly transparent, needed for LCDs. However other kinds of display that don't use a transparent panel can use TFTs.

[* Usually silicon, but very old transistors were Germanium and very high frequency parts in Satellite Dish LNBs use Gallium compounds.]
Thanks for the explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Fusion comes first
hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
It seems we are closer than most of us think:

https://cntechpost.com/2020/03/19/ir...ink-reader-c6/
My opinion is we are going to have 4000 colours eInk on 2021. Too many news pointing there to not be real. Also, the industry and the products are now much more develop than on any past moment those colour eInk news appeared.

BTW, does anyone understand how it works that colour filter for eInk I shared on the first post of this thread?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color e-ink