Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Lee Child retires, brother takes over the Jack Reacher series

In a twist that most authors would be proud of Jack Reacher has a new father. Or perhaps uncle.

The novelist Lee Child has declared that he is retiring from writing his renowned Reacher thrillers.

However, in what is thought to be a literary first, he is allowing his younger brother Andrew Grant authorial rights over the multimillion grossing series. As long as he changes his surname to Child first. So, Lee Child retires and a new Child is born.

Article link full

I still haven't gotten around to this series, but know it's popular.
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
For some reason I didn't read this series. I was too busy reading Baldacci.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I haven't read any of Andrew Grant's books, but my father, who turned me onto Reacher in the first place, has read Grant books and said that they were not good.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
For some reason I didn't read this series. I was too busy reading Baldacci.
I read the first one, but it just didn't appeal all that much to me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Like most open-ended and long-running book series, the premise and the main character tend to wear me out after four or five installments. Jack Reacher was no different for me. Child's retirement and named successor won't affect me. Plus I generally dislike authors "taking over" the writing of another author's series for just about any reason.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
By a funny coincidence, my hold on Lee Child's "One Shot" just became available today. I enjoy the Reacher novels, but I've been spacing them out (a lot) because I'm pretty sure I'd burn out on them quickly.

As a result, it's going to be a long time before I end up reading any non-Lee Reacher books.

This one should be interesting. It was the basis for the first Tom Cruise Reacher film, which I actually enjoyed.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I love the Reacher series. In an unrelated note, I’ve been binging on Mitch Rapp and just hit the first “post author” book. Once I realized this...I went back to reading something else for awhile.

Sometimes these things work out. I’ve liked the Bourne series, Dune and Jack Ryan books after the original authors died.

I hope for good things for Jack Reacher going forward. I have about 5 more Reacher books to go before I run out.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll give Grant's Reacher a try. Interesting that Lee is making Grant change his name. Does Grant actually change his name, or will it be Grant's pen name?

I can't access the full article, any date on the book release?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll give Grant's Reacher a try. Interesting that Lee is making Grant change his name. Does Grant actually change his name, or will it be Grant's pen name?

The Bookseller says the first four will be in collaboration, with Grant taking over after that. First one out October 27 (UK).

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/l...h6qgHez_ct5Pnw
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Lee Child is James Grant's pen name.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I love the Reacher series. In an unrelated note, I’ve been binging on Mitch Rapp and just hit the first “post author” book. Once I realized this...I went back to reading something else for awhile.

Sometimes these things work out. I’ve liked the Bourne series, Dune and Jack Ryan books after the original authors died.

I hope for good things for Jack Reacher going forward. I have about 5 more Reacher books to go before I run out.
I hadn't noticed that they were still churning out Mitch Rapp books since Vince Flynn died. I actually hadn't noticed the series until right about the time Flynn died. I bought the collector's edition eBooks, which makes it more or less easier to read in storyline order, American Assassin is the only one that's out of order.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
I'll give Grant's Reacher a try. Interesting that Lee is making Grant change his name. Does Grant actually change his name, or will it be Grant's pen name...?
None of the articles I’ve seen cover that level of granularity, i.e., legal name change vs pen name. Does it matter? Is it any of our business?

From the Guardian:

“According to the Times’ report, the cover of the next Reacher novel – in a series which is published by an imprint of Random Penguin House – will read: “Lee Child with Andrew Child”, in what has been interpreted as a possible sign of the publishing company’s nerves.”
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
None of the articles I’ve seen cover that level of granularity, i.e., legal name change vs pen name. Does it matter? Is it any of our business?

From the Guardian:

“According to the Times’ report, the cover of the next Reacher novel – in a series which is published by an imprint of Random Penguin House – will read: “Lee Child with Andrew Child”, in what has been interpreted as a possible sign of the publishing company’s nerves.”
Given that it's a pen name, they have other options: bill it as "LEE CHILD'S JACK REACHER" or simply say nothing and pass it off as somebody else taking over the pen name, like Walter Gibson.

They're actually being reasonable and transparent.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I hadn't noticed that they were still churning out Mitch Rapp books since Vince Flynn died. I actually hadn't noticed the series until right about the time Flynn died. I bought the collector's edition eBooks, which makes it more or less easier to read in storyline order, American Assassin is the only one that's out of order.
The Mitch Rapp books were the ones to finally see that I couldn't appreciate thriller books.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote