Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
vessenes
vessenes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Post Kindle Application Requests Here

Hi all,

After seeing Amazon's news about the Development Kit, I thought I'd like to get a jump on some application ideas. So, what do you all want to see? I'm all ears.

The obvious ones would include Sudoku, Crosswords, A folder browser, Font Replacement, and please do go ahead and let me know which of those sound good to you, but I'm also interested to hear what's really killing you and you wish you could have, but there just hasn't been a way to get it on your Kindle yet.

Thanks!
vessenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
The Sokobahn game would be nice. Also Openstreetmaps should be nice even lacking colour and proper gps, but that would assume internet access would be available outside the USA. And a screensaver replacement of course.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Folder browser (or some other method for sorting and organizing my files) and a font-chooser would be my top priorities, followed by (if possible) the ability to tweak formatting on-the-fly (spacing between paragraphs, margins, indents, etc.) - not sure how feasible that last is, but it would be nice.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Some sort of book-tracking app would be nice---a mini-database where you can log books read...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Screen savers that don't require hacks.
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
DOOM

I want to play Doom on my Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

A security system that puts a password verification before you deregister your kindle..
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Calibre for Kindle app:
  • Tagging on the fly
  • CSS for fonts and justification changes (fonts hosted on the Kindle)
  • Key mapping and hotkeys (not a Calibre function but would be nice to have)
  • Metadata changes on the fly
  • Download, add and read book synopses on the fly
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I want to play Doom on my Kindle.
Boy that would be a lesson in patience, the eInk refresh rate is so low that any games requiring on screen movement would crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzImage
A security system that puts a password verification before you deregister your kindle..
I'm with you there as well as an option to password protect the Kindle at startup. With One-Click(tm) turned on someone could just pick it up and order tons of stuff, if you don't pay attention to the contents of the Kindle and your email verifications it might be till your next credit card statement before you knew. As well as for privacy sake - not that I'm needing that sort of thing
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Kindle - PC sync for ebook collection (unread/series/author)

I spend a couple of hours each month coordinating all the new ebooks I've downloaded from the internet and ebooks I've gotten from Amazon. Plus removing and filing those ebooks I have read from the Kindle. (I only have unread or reference ebooks on my Kindle).

I'd also like to open the ebooks on the Kindle at the Cover not the "first page", that is what I do in a bookstore and I find myself back paging to the cover on almost every ebook.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

TAGS! AND / OR folders.
PDF pan and zoom.
Put the name of the chapter in the top right along side the book name.
Dictionary swap setting on the first SETTINGS dialog for quick access.
Mount external storage cards through USB adapter
Better MP3 player
Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Folders....for the love of all that is Holy....folders....let me organize series and such into author folders...or series folders or folder nesting (ie author >Series)
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Mount external storage cards through USB adapter
2nd
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Rootman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I'd also like to open the ebooks on the Kindle at the Cover not the "first page", that is what I do in a bookstore and I find myself back paging to the cover on almost every ebook.
Isn't that a pain? Why are the covers even included if you don't even see them? A few titles I've bought skipped over important dedications, forwards and the like to take you to chapter 1.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Isn't that a pain? Why are the covers even included if you don't even see them? A few titles I've bought skipped over important dedications, forwards and the like to take you to chapter 1.
Yes, drives me crazy!

Apps I'd like to see would be;
Organizational; ordering, sorting, folders, tags, etc.
Informational; links to book lists, author homepages, etc.
System; ability to modify screen saver content and settings.
Content; ability to view other ebook formats.

I'd also like to see the "new" tag to be controllable so that if I just take a peek at the first page I could reset it to "new".

Last edited by NormHart; 01-21-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: arrrgh, Brownies!!!