Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Salinger
Salinger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Have bought both Sony 505 & 600...

...now, which to keep.

I had online coupons for both from two stores. I know each has advantages and disadvantages so I thought I'd buy both to try in real-life reading situations and then return the one I like less. Luckily, both of the online stores have B&M presence here so returning won't be a problem.

I love all the extra features the 600 has, but then there's the glare and contrast issues people talk about. Though I've also read many people's comments in the forums here, that the issues are not nearly as severe as some people make them out to be.

On the other hand, the 505 is said to be one of the best readers around for clarity etc, but has a slower processor and is somewhat limited in features.

One of the things that has me leaning toward the 600 is search capabilities. I want to buy some travel books and take with me on vacation rather than lugging those thick things around in paper format. Trying to look up hotels & attractions etc, without a search function, I'm thinking would be pretty brutal.

I thought about the Kindle, but as a Canadian, it's just not a good value for me. So many books are not available in Canada whereas, I've found I can get almost everything I want from one of the Sony store, Kobo (which bills in CDN $!) or various other ePub bookstores. As well, my library supports free ebook loans with the Sony, so all in all, I decided it was the better route for me to go.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, would love to hear them. As you can tell, I'm still thinking through all the various reasons for having one over the other and I need to make a decision before the holidays!

Cheers!
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 600 is an excellent Reader. I have a number of devices, as you can see from my profile at the left, but the 600 is the one that I use daily.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Have you given them both a try? Only you can answer this dilemma. Some people prefer the one, and some the other, and they both have good reasons.

I feel privileged in that I didn't choose at all. I have both, and love both. I admittedly use my 600 almost exclusively, because I love all its extra features (now even on the internet I want to double click a word to see the definition...). However I turn to my 505 for comics and manga, to make use of the better contrast.

Ultimately, it's up to you.
Let us know what you decide!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Salinger

Thanks for the replies.

I received the 600 at the office this morning, the 505 should arrive Monday.

I've been familiarizing myself with the 600 for a few hours now. I love the features, the glare is not a major issue as it's a minor tilt and it's fine. I do keep wanting to find a contrast button though and deepen the black of the text (though I know that's not possible). I'll continue to read with it and then give the 505 a try on Monday. I'll hate to give up all the functionality of the 600, but right now, I'm a little disappointed in the contrast level.

Just sharing my thoughts in case any other newbies out there are in the decision making process as well. Just my $.02
Old 12-19-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
It seems there is an unexpected way to increase the contrast, but it has the side effect of adding more reflection. Look here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65544. Haven't tried it myself though...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Salinger

I just received the 505 and, for me at least, there's no decision to be made. I find the screen on the 505 to be so much crisper and sharper and truly paper-like.

Though I will most definitely miss all the extra features of the 600, I will mostly be reading regular books; ie not text or reference books in which I might need to make annotations etc. So, I will be keeping the 505 and returning the 600.

A big thanks to everyone here and in other threads who helped me find the reader best suited to me!