Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Between ESlick and Kindle?

After researching this for literally months, it is looking like my choice would be between the new Foxit ESlick and a Kindle (even though I dread buying a Kindle probably just in time for a new model to come out).

I have a TON of non-DRM ebook content in multiple formats, that I will be wanting to read on whatever device I end up with.
However, I will also (naturally) want to buy new books, and so availability of what I like to read (mainly mysteries, and not just new releases, either) will be a big consideration as well.

I'm fairly sure from what I've been able to find on the ESlick that my present content will be readable on that device, even if I have to convert to .pdf. I'm not so sure with Kindle on this, do y'all know about that?

The whispernet capability of the Kindle isn't really a selling point for me, since I plan on having multiple backups of my ebooks; plus it'd drive me into bankuptcy in short order . However, the sheer availability of content from Amazon is highly tempting...

Do y'all see the conundrum? Any suggestions?

Shel
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I'm not so sure with Kindle on this, do y'all know about that?
For the Kindle (and most other EInk readers, except the eSlick and the Sony's) you should convert them to MOBI. This is the Kindle's primary ebook format - Amazon's AZW is MOBI with a different filename extension.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
For the Kindle (and most other EInk readers, except the eSlick and the Sony's) you should convert them to MOBI. This is the Kindle's primary ebook format - Amazon's AZW is MOBI with a different filename extension.
Ok...please excuse my ignorance of the conversions, but CAN you convert .txt, .lit, .pdf, .rtf, .doc,etc. and so forth to MOBI format? If so, and if you can do it easily enough, that would be a heavy point for the Kindle in my decision making.

Shel
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Ok...please excuse my ignorance of the conversions, but CAN you convert .txt, .lit, .pdf, .rtf, .doc,etc. and so forth to MOBI format? If so, and if you can do it easily enough, that would be a heavy point for the Kindle in my decision making.

Shel
Sure can, Shel. I do it all the time, as the Mobipocket Desktop Reader is my weapon of choice for my PC-so I convert 'near everything into MOBI for the PC, and then a quick FB2 conversion to read on my Nokia 770 while I'm on the go.

BookDesigner (available elsewhere on this fine site) makes it all very easy. Of course, we're talking about non-DRM books here
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Under Windows, MobiPocket Reader or Creator can convert to MOBI. So can BookDesigner (see the wiki).

On any Desktop (Windows, Linux or OSX), Calibre (which has its own Forum) can convert nearly every common DRM-free format to MOBI.

I think it is actually harder to find a good tool to convert to small screen optimized PDF than to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

At this point in time, non-DRM books are all I have. I'd like to continue that trend but don't see how it's at all possible once I start wanting to buy new books in ebook formats. Thanks to both of you for the advice on conversions

Shel
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

The ESlick is in pre-order for 229.99 US (excluding taxes), and the Kindle is 359.00 US (including taxes).

Do you think they are comparable?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Personally, I think the eSlick reader looks really impressive. The biggest problem is that it's not out yet.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Canton View Post
Personally, I think the eSlick reader looks really impressive. The biggest problem is that it's not out yet.
This is true, but if you take into consideration Amazon's sold out status on the Kindle, they'll be available at about the same time.
I'm heavily leaning toward the ESlick, depending on reviews when it does come out. I *think* what I may do is get an ESlick now (or soon when it comes out) and then wait a couple of years and get a Kindle at that point, after the dust settles with a new version, or not a new version, or whatever Amazon decides to do.

My biggest worry with NOT getting a Kindle was content. I like my mysteries, and a lot of ebook sites that sell in multiple formats aren't heavy on mysteries. Plus, we all know Amazon has everything, and with the Kindle, I'm a little concerned that some authors will release ebook format for ONLY Kindle. However, I need something that is capable and willing to read my TON of ebooks that I already have, in almost every ebook format known to man. So I think I might have my solution - it'll just mean some delayed gratification.

If for some reason the ESlick doesn't pass muster when the reviews come out, I guess I'll have to start all over again...

Shel
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Foxit while cheaper is not all that wonderful. It supports PDF and TXT. That's it. While it might have the best PDF display of a 6" device, it has poor support of eBooks other then PDF. So basically, it's not all that wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Foxit while cheaper is not all that wonderful. It supports PDF and TXT. That's it. While it might have the best PDF display of a 6" device, it has poor support of eBooks other then PDF. So basically, it's not all that wonderful.
So I'm finding out. Although I thought I had researched thoroughly, I completely missed out on seeing the BeBook. Since one of my main priorities is being able to read all the multitudes of formats I already have, and BeBook reads all of them natively (no conversions, huzzah!), it's now looking like the most viable option. There is a price difference, but it's not a deal-breaker. I would also not be locked into only one format in the future when purchasing ebooks, which was another of my main concerns.

The remaining concerns I am left with in regards to whatever vs. a Kindle is the "amazon has everything" factor. However, with all the formats that a BeBook supports, between all the ebookstores out there, if I wait a couple of years and THEN get a Kindle, I see no prospect of running out of available reading material in that time span.
One of my other concerns is that Amazon may already be doing so,(I don't know) or may in the future start brokering deals with publishers that their author's work ONLY be available for Kindle. If the publishers of enough of my favorite authors did enter into such contracts - well, as much as I wouldn't like it, it'd be a powerful motivator to acquire a Kindle.

Sorry for the rambling... I'm mainly thinking out loud here. Anyone want to point out issues I may be missing? I'm open minded and all for being set on a different path.

Shel
Old 01-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
gdhaliwal23
gdhaliwal23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle!
gdhaliwal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
coolcat1901
coolcat1901 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle is going to have the most content so that's the one I'd go with
coolcat1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat1901 View Post
Kindle is going to have the most content so that's the one I'd go with
There isn't really that much content for the Kindle that isn't available for other readers. However, newer popular books are quite often significantly cheaper at $9.99 for the Kindle than through other ebook retailers.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote