Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Hi, this is Hong from Malaysia.
I have been using my very first ebook, made by Taiwan 7 years ago. I enjoyed reading using ebook whenever I travelled (I used to travel for business). As the method of making ebook from was tedious, I stopped using the unit after 5 years and in 2006 I started to use Hanlin V8. As a heavy user of eBook, which I deem as a replacement gadget for Computer (not centional books!), I would say Hanlin is the best so far, especially for someone like me who can read Chinese (S & T), English and even Malay / Indonesia langauage! Many ebook reader, especially from US/Europe cannot support chinese characters, which is a great disadvantage!

I have made a deal with Jinke and will start selling V3 in Malaysia and Singapore very soon! Price is pretty attractive as Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese like reading! eBooks are equally useful to load religion books as well as Al-Quran and Bible which are so convenient for Ustaz and Priest to share their views in the mosque and church.

I forsee the very strong market in South East Asia and China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. The only set back is lack of promotion and lack of confidence in Hanlin eBook. Hanlin needs more promotion to portray strong image of New China with High Quality Products - it is going and definitely going to replace many "un-user friendly" products from US/Europe. Sony is only interested in USA.

From the forum, I can see many "potential user (NOT buyer)" lost their focus when planning to buy ebook reader. eBook reader means for READING BOOKS in a much more convenient way, light-weight, cheaper (in the long run),....I will share more in our website in future on how to convince yourself to buy the best ebook, such as Hanlin. Remember, SIMPLE is the best! (when it becomes complicated, many user confused and cannot afford the high price; this is what Steve Jobs tries to share with us before)

Happy reading!

Hong

Last edited by hpkeong; 08-03-2008 at 03:57 AM.
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
herbalist
Enthusiast
herbalist began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770, Irex Iliad
hello! The Hanlin was my first choice but given the cost of wire transfer+shipping, I gave up on the idea of importing one to the USA.

I also don't understand the US only strategy for Sony and Amazon especially Sony, given that they haven't had a "hit+hip" product since the walkman.
herbalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, Hong. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Yes, wire transfer & shipping cost are sometimes killing; for South East Asia and China is not so bad, is about RM 200 / transaction (in total) or about USD 70; total price per unit is about USD 370!
Well, it all depends on where do you stay. Anyway, reliability of a product is vital to a heavy user!
Enjoy reading...friends
Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
terrance_teoh
terrance_teoh began at the beginning.

Device: O2 Atom
Hi Hong,

Any hint as to when the eBook Reader will be launched in Singapore? Also what will the price range be like?

Thanks!
Terrance
terrance_teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hi Terrance:

I will be launching in in October 2008. If you are interested, we can courier to you from Johor and warranty still apply to Singapore. Will update you once everything is ready. We will also provide ebook in WOL format (FOC, Chinese and MOBIPOCKET in English).
Do send me an email for our reference once ready. hpkeong@pc.jaring.my
Old 08-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #7
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hi Terrance:

Basically, we will follow to China pricing strategy (as we their agent) and will be at about USD 440/nett (inclusive of 1GB SD card, Ear Phone, SD Card Reader, Leather Holder)
Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
terrance_teoh

Hi Hong,

Thanks for your quick reply. The eInk device I am currently eye-ing on, is the Sony Reader:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644523780

Their pricing is quite attractive even after shipping to Singapore. The only problem is there is no way to get a touch feel on it.

Will wait for your launch as I am currently using my O2 Atom as a reader.

Thanks and regards,
Terrance
Old 08-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hanlin V3

Hi Terrance:

Yes, "normally" people is eyeing on Sony...a typical American buying trend! Sony makes everything to please everyone!
What we are sharing is reading without worries - after sales service and hassle free! All products with E-ink are the same except the maker is different (of ebook). Will update you once V3 is in Malaysia market.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
terrance_teoh

Hi Hong,

I have forward this link, with your news to the National Library of Singapore, to their department:

"QSM NLLINE" <QSM@nlb.gov.sg>,

under:

Re: QSM/14082008/001 - Re: Suggestion for eBook Readers

Yup, I have been bugging them to do something about the lack of dedicated eBook Readers; as the Singapore Library actually has an eBook section:

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/index.aspx

Cheers,
Terrance
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
terrance_teoh

Hi Hong,

I finally got an eInk reader - an old Japanese Sony Librie.
However I have told some of my friends here about you product.

Will you be setting up an exhibit or shop here in Singapore soon?

Thanks and regards,
Terrance
Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User

Hi Terrance

Glad to head you get something for you but sad to hear you use other ebookreader than V3..(smile).

We will take part in the biggest book fair with about 400,000 visitors in KL next month. Singapore may not be the location at the moment, as the price looks pretty expensive for Singaporean (which we tried to survey from another forum on ebook,....hard to sell in Singapore....price too much concerned instead of "need")

You are different. Anyway, buyer can always purchase through email or call me (it is CHEAP to call between Mal and Sin) and we can arrange to demo in JB or Singapore if there is a pool of customer.

Thanks terrance

Hong
Old 10-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #13
Hit&Run
Hit&Run is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle wannabe
Hi Hong.
Thanks for the info. Thanks Terrance, also, for the questions about Singapore, which I am finding very useful.
I'm in Australia and I am hanging out to own an eReader. I have been jealously eyeing them off for awhile, but the opinion of manufacturers seems to be that nobody down here reads : They are just not available here. I am very much affected by DRM, Sony's and Amazon's xenophobia etc etc. and it is most frustrating.

Anyway, I have friends/family members who go to Singapore frequently for work, so I could get someone to pick up one of your eReaders if it looks like it would suit my needs. In fact, come to think of it I might be up there myself in a couple of months and I'd be interested in having a look at your product if you have it available in SIN or can ship it down on spec. from JB.

What website should I go to to check out the reader you're selling? I'd love to have a look at it.

btw I only need Roman alphabet: I read in English, French and (intermediate) Indonesian and I'm learning Spanish (so French and Spanish letters/punctuation capabilities would be an advantage).

Thanks!

HR

PS This is my first post on the forum!! Hi everyone! I came here to "Introductions" to actually introduce myself, but I got waylaid by your thread so here I am
Hit&Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hi HR and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit&Run View Post
btw I only need Roman alphabet: I read in English, French and (intermediate) Indonesian and I'm learning Spanish (so French and Spanish letters/punctuation capabilities would be an advantage).
Wish I knew as many languages as you do.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hit&Run, the Mobileread wiki lists distributors/resellers in Australia and Southeast Asia.

Suggest you take a look at: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Wher..._eBook_Devices
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote