Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 AM   #16
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Hi,

I'm not interested in this app yet, until there is an iPad version anyway, but I'd like to mention a problem that every reading app I've tried seems to have, and that is incorrect hyphenation in French (and presumably other non-English languages). A French text hyphenated with rules of the English language is highly disturbing for me, so I just disable auto-hyphenation. But it would be nice to have an app that does it right
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hi,

I'm not interested in this app yet, until there is an iPad version anyway, but I'd like to mention a problem that every reading app I've tried seems to have, and that is incorrect hyphenation in French (and presumably other non-English languages). A French text hyphenated with rules of the English language is highly disturbing for me, so I just disable auto-hyphenation. But it would be nice to have an app that does it right
Hello Florence!

The iPad version is being tested in the beta right now

I've sent you a message about this topic.
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2015, 04:38 AM   #18
desito
desito began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone SE & IPad 2
Hello,

For when hyphen wiil be in the store?

Thanks
desito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desito View Post
Hello,

For when hyphen wiil be in the store?

Thanks
No guarantees, but I'm hoping beta testing will end this month, and Hyphen will move into release phase.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #20
desito
desito began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone SE & IPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
No guarantees, but I'm hoping beta testing will end this month, and Hyphen will move into release phase.
I try to participate in beta and I couldn't... It's a shame but I have to wait
desito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
nrubenstein
nrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: iPhone
For what it is worth, a usable book browser is a big issue with a lot of the popular reader clients. It always amazes me how lousy the browsing functionality is in most of them. Browsing by author (in a folder like manner) is not hard to implement and also should not be buried in nested menus.
nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:34 AM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
For what it is worth, a usable book browser is a big issue with a lot of the popular reader clients. It always amazes me how lousy the browsing functionality is in most of them. Browsing by author (in a folder like manner) is not hard to implement and also should not be buried in nested menus.
Agreed, wholeheartedly. Thats why I still use Stanza and ShubookSE
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #23
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
Thank you for the feedback. This is really interesting as I haven't heard this kind of sorting really mentioned/asked for by a lot of readers. Hyphen currently doesn't offer sorting in this manner, but I'm definitely considering it.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
Thank you for the feedback. This is really interesting as I haven't heard this kind of sorting really mentioned/asked for by a lot of readers. Hyphen currently doesn't offer sorting in this manner, but I'm definitely considering it.
I think readers don't ask for it because they haven't ever considered how very useful it is. Or perhaps they have never had a reader which included it, and so, don't even know how useful it is. I usually get carried away and end up with 200 (or more) ebooks on my device. Having those in an endless list is just a nightmare. Many people only load one or two at a time and in those cases it really doesnt matter. I prefer to carry with, rather than use up my tiny amount of data to download from the cloud while I'm out, if I have finished something and want something new. So, many books in folders, subdirectories: whatever you might want to call them. Sorting by author, tag, category etc is available in both Stanza and Shubook... if you can do that, *and* have it pull a font from the system, rather than embedding... sold! Also, do pay particular attention to addressing issues of style. Other developers have promised but not delivered on that one.

Are you planning to open the beta up again?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #25
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I think readers don't ask for it because they haven't ever considered how very useful it is. Or perhaps they have never had a reader which included it, and so, don't even know how useful it is. I usually get carried away and end up with 200 (or more) ebooks on my device. Having those in an endless list is just a nightmare. Many people only load one or two at a time and in those cases it really doesnt matter. I prefer to carry with, rather than use up my tiny amount of data to download from the cloud while I'm out, if I have finished something and want something new. So, many books in folders, subdirectories: whatever you might want to call them. Sorting by author, tag, category etc is available in both Stanza and Shubook...
I see, I appreciate the explanation. This feature won't be in the initial release, but I've added it to the list.

Quote:
Also, do pay particular attention to addressing issues of style. Other developers have promised but not delivered on that one.
Hyphen's styling options are pretty robust...

Quote:
Are you planning to open the beta up again?
I'm not, but I'm working hard on getting the first release ready to go though, so you'll hopefully be able to try it soon!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
nrubenstein
nrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguenrubenstein can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Browse by author in folders is a huge, huge feature for people with large libraries. It's a great way to differentiate yourself IMHO.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
I think folders might make browsing slower, compared to the other option which I believe is better, yet also lacking from all or most ePub and PDF readers (including iBooks): an index scroller.

democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #28
kyteflyer
Wizard

Or, you could have both
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	455
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	142506  
Old 10-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #29
nrubenstein

An index scroller that doesn't file books under author names is awful for me. Particularly with prolific authors where I might have 20-30+ books, having to browse through titles is deeply irritating. I have 300 books in my Kindle library and an index scroller doesn't work at at all for me there. The total library is far larger.

Edit: The thing about an index scroller is that it's very fast to get where you want if you know exactly what you want. It's an absolutely awful way to peruse, though. (At least for me.)
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #30
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
It doesn't look like it would be hard to include an index scroller with the interface you have.

For those not on the beta, he already has sorting by author, title, series, last opened, and date added.

There's also separate shelves you can setup.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 10-02-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub, hyphen, ibooks, ios