Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Whitaker9
Whitaker9 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3rd Generation
Good Urban Fantasy Recomendations?

I have read several urban fantasy series lately, and they seem to keep me interested but I can't seem to find another good collection of books to read.
The series I have read thus far:
Dresden Files (Great Books Highly Recommended)
Iron Druid Chronicles (great series with great mythology)
There arent any others that are worth mentioning, but any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Whitaker9
Whitaker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
the Nekropolis series by Tim Waggoner. it involves a zombie detective in hell.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
MMHaven
MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kindle Touch
A couple about fairies:

Rosemary and Rue, by Seanan McGuire - A changeling detective with well-thought-out background into fey politics. The second book isn't that great, but the other three are fantastic - the fifth one comes out later this year.

Of Blood and Honey, by Stina Leicht - There's only one out so far, but it's really good.

If you don't mind polyamory (not graphic, just mentioned) I really enjoyed The Enchantment Emporium, by Tanya Huff. It's a mystery involving dragons and the Gale family, who are powerful magic users. It's also really funny. The second book comes out in November, I think.

I'm just getting into Urban Fantasy myself, so I'll have to check out the series you mentioned!
MMHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Tim Pratt's Marla Mason series is quite good. I've read a couple and have a couple more on my TBR list.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before this thread gets too far into duplicating another thread, please go to the original thread and post there....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107740
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before this thread gets too far into duplicating another thread, please go to the original thread and post there....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107740
Well, yes Jon. That thread is about "Urban Fantasy" books, but.. It was started in November of last year and hasn't had any activity since January. I see no harm in starting a new thread. In fact, at the bottom of the first page is an Old Thread Warning:

Quote:
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's only if you are not realizing it's old and having nothing to contribute to it. We've recently has some old threads resurrected because the people posting answers the question long after it's over. A thread like that is not obsolete and can be added to easily without a problem. It depends what the thread is about.

A thread on fonts can easily be kept going even if it's old as the information is not obsolete or out-of-date.

So yes that thread is old and yes there is a warning. But the waring is unnecessary and you should be using that thread as it has a lot of good information pertaining to that the OP wants. Starting a new thread is basically tossing out all that good information in the other thread. Also, the last posts were in December 2010. So the thread is not that old. It has posts in it less then a year old. It's not obsolete and too old to be of use. So please use that instead of continuing here.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So please use that instead of continuing here.
OK.

I like Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series. A little like Dresden but darker.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Maybe the two threads can be merged?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
OK.

I like Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series. A little like Dresden but darker.
I'd forgotten about Sandman Slim. Definitely darker. Another of Richard Kadrey's Urban Fiction books, Butcher Bird, is available for free from Night Shade Books. Scroll to bottom of page. Second from bottom.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Maybe the two threads can be merged?
I've just posted the OP's question over at the other thread because that's where it belongs. I suggested reading that thread. If that other thread gets going again, people will post to it (IMHO) instead of posting duplicate suggestions here.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'd forgotten about Sandman Slim. Definitely darker. Another of Richard Kadrey's Urban Fiction books, Butcher Bird, is available for free from Night Shade Books. Scroll to bottom of page. Second from bottom.
Thanks for the tip!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote