Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Ebook Readers in the Kitchen. . .

All, My wife loves to cook and she has expressed some curiosity about my PRS-350. I was thinking for Christmas, maybe I would get her a reader and a couple of eBook Cookbooks.

Knowing my wife, she might try to read in the kitchen, cookbooks or not and she might get all sorts of splashes on the reader. Should I think about a waterproof/pancake batter proof and/or a shock proof reader? Is there such a thing? I've never paid any attention to that sort of thing.

Is the kitchen just too hostile for an eBook reader device? Anything I should look out for?

Also, Ladies, is this gift OK for a Christmas present to a wife? I once bought her some stereo speakers for Christmas and the disappointment was surprisingly too heavy to ignore. But she did say she wanted some new stereo speakers. Apparently there are hints for gifts that should apply for certain holidays and not for others. And I now suspect stereo speakers are great gifts for the 4th of July or maybe Holloween. I'm sick of buying 'safe' jewelry and perfume and ready to take a risk!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 10-16-2010 at 12:10 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The bigger challenge with an e-reader in the kitchen is they constantly go to sleep which means you have to turn it back on and possibly find the page again.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Wrap it in clingfilm?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Funny, I was just thinking that I could load all the stray recipes I've stored on my computer on my Jetbook Lite. Then I could check ingredients in the supermarket, as well as refer to the recipes when I'm in the kitchen, instead of always printing them out.

Hadn't thought about the hostile environment of a kitchen, though.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The bigger challenge with an e-reader in the kitchen is they constantly go to sleep which means you have to turn it back on and possibly find the page again.
Depends on the reader. Some can be set to never turn off on their own.

As far as avoiding splashes, etc., rig a mount for the reader to put it on a wall or hang it below an overhead cabinet to keep it above the "splash zone" might help. Putting the reader in a zip lock bag with as much of the air expelled as possible might also help.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I believe the reader in question is a Sony PRS 350.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
GlenBarrington,

You might want to take a look at this article: A Kindle in the kitchen.

It addresses the point about protecting the reader from splashes and stains, but not the one about it going to sleep.

Do some readers have a time-out setting that prevents them from hibernating after so-many minutes? I know the Kindle doesn't, but it would be useful if it did.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
To be honest, I find audiobooks a good option for the kitchen.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You can turn off the sleep mode on the Sony.

But for the kitchen, I'd go for a simpler model, without touchscreen. A Hanlin v3, for example. Lots of buttons to turn pages...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I like the idea of an e-reader in the kitchen. And I keep mine in a ziplock bag when I'm afraid of it getting wet or something on it. I do know Amazon has protective bags for sale but my ziplock works fine .

As for whether it would make a great Christmas gift? It would for me.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
How about some clear plastic clingy wrap -- like Saran?
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Sleep mode has different time settings for the Nook... goes from 2 minutes to 20 minutes at the longest. It doesn't take long to wake up though.

As for page, it will go back to whatever it was on last, don't most readers do that automatically?

I know there are waterproof/water resistant pouches available for both Nook and Kindle, but it also seems like one could put it in a large ZipLoc baggie temporarily as an easy option. Then if the baggie got dirty, just toss it. I'm not sure how well the Nook's touchscreen would work in a baggie, but I believe it is supposed to work in the waterproof pouches. Besides, there are always the buttons for page turning.

What might also be useful is some kind of book stand, like the BookGem folding stand. Very versatile, and can be used with paper books as well.

As far as it goes as a Christmas present, how it goes over is going to depend on your wife and her personality. Me, I'd have bowed down to my husband if he'd surprised me with a reader last Christmas! I just adore having a reader!

But I don't know if I'd have gotten one primarily for cooking with, and that's because I tend to like cookbooks with color pictures of the recipes. I haven't gotten a cookbook as an ebook yet. But I'm sure one day I will try that!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

As far as avoiding splashes, etc., rig a mount for the reader to put it on a wall or hang it below an overhead cabinet to keep it above the "splash zone" might help. Putting the reader in a zip lock bag with as much of the air expelled as possible might also help.
I should think Velcro on some hard vertical surface would likely work, But I like the idea of a plastic bag when I think about it. With a new Sony, like the 350, you don't HAVE to use the touch screen, it can also be controlled by the buttons as well. But I guess it would be her call.

I still need to decide if it's a good Christmas gift. I hate agonizing over stuff like this. My favorite gift giving holiday is Father's Day. Not because I get stuff, but because I don't have to figure out what to get somebody!

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 10-16-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I believe the reader in question is a Sony PRS 350.
I just checked my 350 and the power managment options can be turned off.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I have put recipes in a ziploc bag and then hung them by putting the top in the overhead cabinet and closing the door to hold in place. This only works if the cabinet door actually shuts well enough to hold in place.

I have a cookbook holder with a protective plastic panel that goes in front of the book for protection. I could use that, just pulling forward to change pages as needed. You might look into something like that.

If you DO get her a reader you might want to preload it with a couple of books she would like along with cookbooks. Or at least have them ready to load. After all, a reader JUST for the kitchen would be like getting her stereo speakers, useful and needed, but not romantic. The additional books would show that you put extra thought into the gift.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote