Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #16
jcbeam
jcbeam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I believe I renamed it Kindle 2 from "removable storage device" or usb storage device, can't remember now. There is no icon on my desktop; XP advises it's "found". And the Kindle screen does show USB drive mode on screen, for a moment, then says to use kindle or continue charging, eject.
jcbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Weird. Some folks have had USB issues resolved by doing a reset, maybe try that?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbeam View Post
I believe I renamed it Kindle 2 from "removable storage device" or usb storage device, can't remember now. There is no icon on my desktop; XP advises it's "found". And the Kindle screen does show USB drive mode on screen, for a moment, then says to use kindle or continue charging, eject.
It's the top of the Explorer Window that I thought was an icon. Sorry about that.

It seems whatever you did in renaming it is causing a problem. Try renaming it "Kindle".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
jcbeam

Renaming to Kindle doesn't do anything. It seems too, that the usb connection is not firm, because the USB screen disappears from the screen and I CAN use, turn pages on Kindle. If I reset, I will loose everything, correct? Or at least the books not from Amazon?

Last edited by jcbeam; 03-20-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It's the top of the Explorer Window that I thought was an icon. Sorry about that.

It seems whatever you did in renaming it is causing a problem. Try renaming it "Kindle".
I can't wait till they find that is indeed the problem so I can post

"WE don't need no steenkin' Kindle Support!"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Renaming to Kindle doesn't do anything. It seems too, that the usb connection is not firm, because the USB screen disappears from the screen and I CAN use, turn pages on Kindle. If I reset, I will loose everything, correct? Or at least the books not from Amazon?
No, whatever books or other content you have on the Kindle will still be there when you reset. Please let us know if it works for you.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #22
jcbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I can't wait till they find that is indeed the problem so I can post

"WE don't need no steenkin' Kindle Support!"
Not sure I understand what you mean????
Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you mean????
She's just saying that if we can figure this out, we can do our own troubleshooting without Amazon's help.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
jcbeam

Ah-ha! Thanks for the clarification; I was getting paranoid Going to find out how to reset in manual. Be back shortly.

Everyone, many thanks for all of your input!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
She's just saying that if we can figure this out, we can do our own troubleshooting without Amazon's help.
Exactly.

If Daffy and PilotBob can't help you, you may need to call CS........but chances are Daffy can troubleshoot.

'sigh.....I should have know not to interfere with the duck!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #26
jcbeam

I am happy to report; it's working! I did not do a re-set, simply turned off and back on. I must say though, I believe the USB cord to the Kindle itself is not very "snug"; it rocks a bit if I try to wiggle it. Could that be part of the problem?

Thanks to all of you again for your help and desertgrandma, you are right, this forum doesn't need no stinkin' CS!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Congratulations and kudos to AnemicOak for the reset suggestion!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I am happy to report; it's working! I did not do a re-set, simply turned off and back on. I must say though, I believe the USB cord to the Kindle itself is not very "snug"; it rocks a bit if I try to wiggle it. Could that be part of the problem?

Thanks to all of you again for your help and desertgrandma, you are right, this forum doesn't need no stinkin' CS!
Good for you...........and even tho you did resolve this problem, I think even Daffy will agree with me when I say that the loose connection IS a problem that should be communicated to CS.

You said sometimes the screen will disappear, and you can use your Kindle.........thats not right.

Click on the "Contact Us" button on the right of the following link. Tell them about that, and then let us know what they say.

And..........welcome to MobileRead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470
Old 03-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #29
jcbeam

I shall report to CS and thank you ever so much!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #30
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
They might be able to send you a new USB cable if it's the cable that's the problem and not the connection. Is it loose on the Kindle end or the computer end?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote