Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Geoff,

This may be a complete red herring, but I seem to remember the early version of Metazoa's Patcher had an option called 'Allow download all in Browser'. I think it was supposed to remove a limitation of which filetypes were allowed to be dowloaded via the Browser. Is it possible you have it enabled and the OP doesn't?

I never use wi-fi on Kobo, so can't test anything.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #17
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This may be a complete red herring, but I seem to remember the early version of Metazoa's Patcher had an option called 'Allow download all in Browser'. I think it was supposed to remove a limitation of which filetypes were allowed to be dowloaded via the Browser. Is it possible you have it enabled and the OP doesn't?
A reasonable idea, but the Mini I tested with has never been patched.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #18
ojay
ojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
A reasonable idea, but the Mini I tested with has never been patched.
Thanks again Geoff, above and beyond.

jackie_w what's the patcher you've mentioned?
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojay View Post
jackie_w what's the patcher you've mentioned?
The Kobo Patcher is a hack which was originally developed almost a year ago by a Russian user called Metazoa. More recently GeoffR and a few others have developed it further to be slightly easier to apply for less technical users.

In a nutshell, it consists of an ever-growing list of small tweaks to existing Kobo firmware, each of which make the Kobo just a bit more customisable to individual taste (e.g. range of available font-sizes/line spacing/page margins, ability to apply Kobo font thickening to all sideloaded fonts (not just built-in fonts), reduction of space devoted to bottom page status bar, fixing (sort of) the "long-paragraph bug" ... and many more). Each tweak can be easily enabled/disabled depending on each user's personal preference.

The original thread is here (very long), but if you decide it's something you'd like to try, this thread is best if you have fw 3.3.x/3.4.x.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #20
ojay
ojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blueojay can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Each tweak can be easily enabled/disabled depending on each user's personal preference...if you decide it's something you'd like to try, this thread is best if you have fw 3.3.x/3.4.x.
Thank you sir!

I will apply myself to that link forthwith..
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 AM   #21
Matt_Black
Matt_Black began at the beginning.

It appears I'm having the same problem.
I have a Kobo Glo, software ver: 3.3.0 (April 17, 2014) Australia

I have folders set up on Dropbox for family to download books direct to their Kobo - type and version same as mine. I upload to folders on Dropbox but books will no longer download to any of the Kobos.

Downloading was working fine up until June 12 that I know of, failing on June 29 and thereafter. Once the (Dropbox file) Download button is pressed, the Kobo screen flickers but then nothing happens. This feature has worked flawlessly since January, soon after we bought the Kobos.

So I recently setup similar file sharing accounts on Box, Divshare, FlipDrive, Minbox, Cloudme and SpiderOak - all gave the same results. No download.

If I do a random Google search using the Kobo, and click/press/point on a file on the search page (PDF or EPUB), it downloads ok. So a direct link works, but pressing a Download Button on a file sharing site fails every time.

I'm sure a sync has altered something on the Kobo, even though the software is dated April - the problem being on two Kobos that I know of, after June 12.

I don't have an answer to the problem, and I don't want to hack the Kobos. I'm just hoping the Kobo crew will come to realise this malfunction has occurred, and fix it.

Cheers,
Matt
Matt_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #22
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit: I thought the problem was the ?dl=1 at the end of the link, but no, I can still download from my Glo if there is "?dl=1" at the end.

The problem seems to be the download button itself. If I download by tapping on the file listing in dropbox, or from a shared link, then there is no problem. It is only if I tap the download button that appears when I use the "share link" function in dropbox that it fails to work.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-03-2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Problem was the download button, not the link.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard

OK I think I have figured out what is happening with dropbox downloads:

When you are logged in to dropbox and download an epub by tapping on the file listing, or download directly from a shared link, the filename has an .epub extension, and so the Kobo browser will download and process it, and you will see the book in your library when you exit the browser.

But when you download by tapping on the download button generated by the dropbox website's "share link" function, the filename that the Kobo's browser receives doesn't have an .epub extension, and so it refuses to download it. That is not a bug in itself, it is what the browser is supposed to do. You can force it to download the file anyway by applying the `Download all in browser` patch, but the resulting book won't be processed, you will need to plug the Kobo into a PC, rename the file to have an .epub extension, and unplug it to get it to process.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hmm, my Kindle Touch has taken to crashing every time I try to access Dropbox even to login.

Lucky you, for all your problems.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
Matt_Black
Matt_Black began at the beginning.

Very helpful info, thanks Geoff.

I was able to check my Sister's Kobo tonight, which is the same as mine, including software version and date. I can't download on that one either anymore. An interesting difference being that hers was last synced on May 2, 2014 - well before the download failures began, so I'm satisfied that the Kobos haven't been altered by a sync.

Dropbox have apparently altered the link format they present for their Download button, and it's just a coincidence that the other file sharing sites I tried use the same formatting as Dropbox does now.

It's unfortunate but I'll have to find a work-around, because my other family members who depend on this feature are not as computer savvy as me, hence my reluctance to rely on hacks. I've hacked my Kobo a couple of times just out of curiosity, but I can't expect the others to do the same. I'll think of something...

Whatever I do has to be easy and quick like the Dropbox solution - no login's required, navigation directly to the page of book links, download and read. Maybe I'll produce my own web page with direct links, then just alter the page for new books as they arise. That should work.

Thanks again.
Matt
Matt_Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, dropbox, firmware, kobo, mini