Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm not sure of the last time I've read a news story about the
release/availability of a product user guide, but here it is:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...-now-available
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

That free guide wants my credit card
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #33
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
This makes iPod touch look overpriced.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a pity Google wants to lock you into cloud content by leaving out the ability to expand storage. Otherwise, this tablet has killer specs for the price.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Perfect tablet IMO except the lack of card slot. Minimal camera support and the like isn't a big deal on a tablet...but they shouldn't have skimped on the card slot.

I think the Galaxy Tab 7" is almost a better buy at $250 now. It's got a microSD card slot. And from what I hear it handles 1080p video pretty well.

I see a lot of people saying they are going to pass only because there's no SD card slot.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I think the Galaxy Tab 7" is almost a better buy at $250 now. It's got a microSD card slot. And from what I hear it handles 1080p video pretty well.
That's what I have. It plays HD video extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #37
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a pity Google wants to lock you into cloud content by leaving out the ability to expand storage. Otherwise, this tablet has killer specs for the price.
For me this is a big deal. I don't like keeping my stuff on a cloud simply because I don't have access to WiFi/3G most of the time. However you have mentioned many times that WIFI is everywhere for you. With that in mind I would think you would find it more convenient to have stuff stored in the cloud since you can easily access your content with the difference devices you own. (iPod, Tablets, etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've recently bought the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I was worried that I may have made the wrong choice, but the lack of an SD card slot on the Nexus is a show-stopper for me; the Samsung was the right choice for my needs.
Just curious, it wasn't an issue when you bough a Kindle, iPad, iPhone why is it an issue for the Tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

I see a lot of people saying they are going to pass only because there's no SD card slot.
Personally I buy all my electronics with microSD/miniSD slots. I find I don't use it too often but it's a nice feature to have. From another thread folks are saying that Android supports USB OTG(On-the-Go) so one can carry a thumb drive for additional storage. If that is the case then I will find it an easier pill to swallow.

As for all the clamoring folks who say they will pass on the Nexus for not having a microSD/miniSD slot. Well there was a lot of clamoring for the K3, iPad, iTouch, iPhone, KFire not having extra memory yet they have all been successful. I think the $200 price with the hardware and software is going to be too tempting for most.

Last edited by =X=; 06-28-2012 at 01:37 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Just curious, it wasn't an issue when you bough a Kindle, iPad, iPhone why is it an issue for the Tab.
Because I bought it primarily for use as a video player, and the 8GB of internal storage isn't enough for that. I don't use any of my other devices for video, and their internal storage is enough. Eg, I have over 1000 books on my Kindle, and have used about 30% of the available storage. 1000 books is enough for me .
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
For me this is a big deal. I don't like keeping my stuff on a cloud simply because I don't have access to WiFi/3G most of the time. Buy you have mentioned many times that WIFI is everywhere for you. With that in mind I would think you would find it more convenient to have stuff stored in the cloud since you can easily access your content with the difference devices you own. (iPod, Tablets, etc...)
WiFi is everywhere in town, so it's quite convenient for my Galaxy Player; which is what I would carry if I take a device. Ironically, it has a card slot.

For vacations and overnighters I want a tablet. The problem there, is that I venture to locations that don't have WiFi (forests, mountains, ocean); so a card slot becomes a necessity.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Is the Nexus 7 a baby Transformer?

Hmmm... I wonder why Google chose - "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - as the free movie they bundled with it?
Ha! I wish.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because I bought it primarily for use as a video player, and the 8GB of internal storage isn't enough for that. I don't use any of my other devices for video, and their internal storage is enough. Eg, I have over 1000 books on my Kindle, and have used about 30% of the available storage. 1000 books is enough for me .
Okay I see that makes sense. 8GB for HD video is quite small. I don't watch too much video myself and when I do I usually stream it either from Netflix of DLNA

Only 1000 and you call yourself a book collector

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay I see that makes sense. 8GB for HD video is quite small. I don't watch too much video myself and when I do I usually stream it either from Netflix of DLNA

Only 1000 and you call yourself a book collector

=X=
Oh good heavens no, I have tens of thousands of ebooks. But I somehow manage to struggle on with only 1000 or so of them on my Kindle .
Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I use the SD card on my Acer tablets to store music. I enjoy listening to it while driving (through car speakers), where I don't have access to the cloud.

At home, it doesn't matter so much, as I often listen to streamed music using the TuneIn Radio app or on my computer. I guess the need for SD storage comes down to how you want to use the tablet. Personally, I greatly appreciate the flexibility extra storage provides, but I can see where that wouldn't matter at all to many.

How much more would it cost the manufacturer to include an SD card slot? It does seem to be a feature desired by a lot of people, so why not include that as an option? I know that Google wanted to keep the price around $200 to compete with the Fire and other offerings, but most people wouldn't blink an eye if the device cost $20 more.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #44
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Looks like a great device for the price.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

I loled at the following review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty
Tight, taut and terrific.

Although clearly influenced by E. L. James's Fifty Shades of Grey, Google Inc. has managed to create his own space in which to develop plot structures that leave you feeling elated, confused, aroused, and, most importantly, informed. Highly recommended and good value.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet