Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #16
Nakaleen
Enthusiast
Nakaleen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle DX (damaged screen)
FINALLY worked it out.
Registering with B&N was the main problem. Registering while connected to the wireless you are using to root the nook will block the root update from downloading and installing.

Ok so here are my steps in rooting a 1.5 Nook using the non-router way....

1. Did a full factory reset (press power button for 12 sec, 6 times).

2. (this step is not needed) Registered with B&N using normal wireless.

3. Turn off the nook.

4. Install Connectify and config your wireless usb

5. Install TreeWalk and edit the file 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dns\etc\named.cache' (or 'C:\Windows\System32\dns\etc\named.cache' for 32bit system) with the added lines...

Code:
; local
edmfiletransfer.barnesandnoble.com. 2953666 A 217.20.163.111
; local
sync.barnesandnoble.com. 3068099 A 217.20.163.111
6. Turn on the nook, and connect to the Connectifty wireless connection.

7. If the update dose not start, maybe go to library and 'Check for new content' which will start the update. When you are connected rightly the book 'Don't Blink' appears in the B&N Library.

8. It will (should) says that the update started to download then failed.

9. Turn off the nook then disable the Connectify wireless and remove TreeWalk. Turn on your normal wireless.

10. Turn on your nook. It (should) bring up a 'nook Home' and 'nook Root' option.

11. Select 'nook Root' then 'Start rooting'.

12. You are now currently 'Rooted' so far.

13. If you have installed Android SDK (with the ADK platform 1.5 API, plus the Platform-tools) go to the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools' dir, or where the 'platform-tools' directory is installed. Pressing 'Shift' and right-clicking in the 'platform-tools' dir will show the 'Open Command Window Here'.

13. With your normal wifi still connected to the nook. Type 'adb connect <nook ip address>' to connect to your nook.

14. To make your nook 'rooted' all the time type 'adb pull /init.rc init.rc' to copy the init.rc file to your computer.

15. This next step is NEVER said on nookdev, which pisses me off. Edit the lines in 'init.rc'....

Code:
# adbd is controlled by the persist.service.adb.enable system property service adbd /sbin/adbd
disabled
to....

Code:
# adbd is controlled by the persist.service.adb.enable system property service adbd /sbin/adbd
enabled
16. Then type 'adb push init.rc /init.rc' to copy the file back to your nook, then turn off your nook.

16. You are now fully 'rooted'. You can now install what ever .apk's you want.
Nakaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
neilk
neilk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I developed a new method of rooting the nook which works on the new hardware. It also works on unregistered nooks -- I couldn't register mine (long story).

Here are the instructions on nookdevs.

If anybody tries it, I'd appreciate it if they post their experiences here or on the wiki's talk page.
neilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
incakola
incakola began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilk View Post
I developed a new method of rooting the nook which works on the new hardware. It also works on unregistered nooks -- I couldn't register mine (long story).

Here are the instructions on nookdevs.

If anybody tries it, I'd appreciate it if they post their experiences here or on the wiki's talk page.
The part on "Getting root access" is really unclear... the link goes to some droid2 thing, which does not have any instructions on implementing the root.

Everything else worked up to that point... Could you please elaborate on how to get the root access? This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!
incakola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
neilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by incakola View Post
The part on "Getting root access" is really unclear... the link goes to some droid2 thing, which does not have any instructions on implementing the root.
Since then I've updated that section, in case anyone else is wondering. And incakola did eventually succeed!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
swamplord
swamplord began at the beginning.

Device: baristoker@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilk View Post
Since then I've updated that section, in case anyone else is wondering. And incakola did eventually succeed!
After I execute ratc.bin, I haven't been able to make adb connect work so far. I must have tried it like 20 times. Is this expected?
swamplord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
neilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamplord View Post
After I execute ratc.bin, I haven't been able to make adb connect work so far. I must have tried it like 20 times. Is this expected?
20 times is a bit excessive, but yes, when it fails, adb connect usually doesn't work. Persistence...
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #22
Ryou
Ryou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
Actually, I'm curious to see if swamplord figures it out, because I am having the exact same problem with the guide that you wrote, Neilk. The moment I execute ratc.bin in either instructional, it's impossible to make adb connect to the nook. I re-crashed the browser about thirty times trying to get it to connect to no avail. And after I execute ratc.bin it sometimes makes the browser crash on opening until I restart the Nook.

All I've got to do is overwrite the old init.rc with my modified one, but every time I try, I get slammed with an error about having insufficient permissions to do it. I just. Need. To push. This file.
Ryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
neilk

It is frustrating, isn't it? I hope the process can be refined a little, but the method is imperfect by design.

After ratc.bin fails, it's pretty much necessary to reboot the nook, by the way. Its attack method is precisely designed to make the system unstable; if the exploit fails and the nook is still usable, it just means it didn't manage to fully lock the system up, only partially.

I've had to do this three times and the ratc attack works about 1/3 of the time, I'd say.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #24
Ryou

Things get real slow, but I can't ever connect...
...man..

This is going to be a weekend project; it'll be worth it to get this damn thing rooted. I want to get a snappier menu and picture-viewing support so badly.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #25
joerlane
joerlane began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I had similar frustrations with the process today. I ended up rooted after many hours of trying the same things over and over. While it was annoying to get the initial ADB up and running that was hardly the problem. After running ratc.bin ADB was never running despite trying over and over again. Sometimes I could get another ADB $ prompt if I kept trying the web page (over and over).

Finally I saw the # prompt but I was disconnected almost instantly. That is when I realized it was allowing an ADB connection for only a few seconds, I had to connect and then send the push command within a few second time span. There was no time to run the command adb shell to see the # and I had the push command pretyped in another window just waiting. Either the push command would fail with a permissions problem (indicating that ADB was enabled without root and would persist so ratc.bin could be run again) or I would get root access for less than five seconds. There was no chance to look and see, just try the push command the moment you obtain a connection. I must have had 1000 failed adb connections while loading the web page over and over (after of course having run ratc.bin). Rebooting will force you to start the whole process over again as ratc.bin seems to be deleted during the boot sequence.

Hope this helps.
joerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #26
Ryou

I FINALLY rooted it. Joerlane's reply got me thinkin', and I realized that every damn time I ran ratc.bin, there was no hope of immediately connecting until I re-crashed the browser. But only after I connected, I needed to immediately push the file. So I did exactly what he did--have these things pretyped out. If I connected and didn't do it quickly enough, the nook's screen would flash a dark, dark gray color and kick me off. Then I would need to run ratc.bin again and re-crash the browser to get a moment of connection--and <i>only</i> in that window could I push the file.

Now I've got it pushed and I'm installing all kinds of crap on this thing. Thanks, everybody! I'm thinking that Neilk's guide should be re-tailored to include all of this information we've had to go through.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #27
swamplord
swamplord began at the beginning.

Device: baristoker@yahoo.com
Hello again, I had given up hope and begun waiting on an easier solution but Ryou's and joerlane's posts helped me get through. I guess I was lucky this time, because it took around 5 minutes to do it . The problem was that I was restarting the device when I had failed to connect after ratc.bin's execution, instead I should have tried to rerun the exploit and make it connectable again. Thanks everyone, now I can also start doing horrible things to my Nook .
swamplord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
jackr
Connoisseur
jackr has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook STR, Pocket eDGe
Batch

Hello everyone, it took a couple of days, but I was able to make the batch that I attached that automates the process a little bit. It will work in the Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools directory where adb is. After inserting the Nook's ip address into the batch, it will loop until the browser crash works. Then it will check to make sure ratc.bin and the modified init.rc are in the same directory as adb. If both are, it will push ratc.bin to the Nook, change the permission, and activate ratc.bin. After ratc.bin is complete, the batch will loop again, prompting the user to re-crash the browser. The instant that works out, init.rc is pushed to the Nook, and if all works out, the process should be finished .
Attached Files
File Type: bat new_root_bat.bat (1.6 KB, 486 views)

Last edited by jackr; 03-16-2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Cleaned up the batch file.
jackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #29
Nakaleen
Enthusiast
Nakaleen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle DX (damaged screen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackr View Post
Hello everyone, it took a couple of days, but I was able to make the batch that I attached that automates the process a little bit. It will work in the Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools directory where adb is. After inserting the Nook's ip address into the batch, it will loop until the browser crash works. Then it will check to make sure ratc.bin and the modified init.rc are in the same directory as adb. If both are, it will push ratc.bin to the Nook, change the permission, and activate ratc.bin. After ratc.bin is complete, the batch will loop again, prompting the user to re-crash the browser. The instant that works out, init.rc is pushed to the Nook, and if all works out, the process should be finished .
Have to say, I love all the 'if' in that statement heheheh
Nakaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #30
jackr
Connoisseur
jackr has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook STR, Pocket eDGe
Thank-you :3. I am certain theres a bug or two in the way I scripted it. For one, I attached a few lines in the beginning that will skip having to enter the ip address if adb 'detects' a device attached, but that could prove to be more of an annoyance than helpful in the long run. The other thing is that if *any* device is found by adb, the looping wont happen, and the batch will attempt to push and run ratc.bin to whatever is connected. I had also run this from 64-bit Windows, so I am not 100% certain it will find the right folder in 32-bit, but I believe that it wont have any problems with that. I had uploaded it right after I got it to work with my Nook, but once I had it set to push init.rc immediately after connection again, the Nook did get rooted.
jackr is offline   Reply With Quote