Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #556
Alan_S
Addict
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
There's electronic in battery that shuts down device before battery is drained too much. So don't worry too much about it.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #557
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Every time I install KSM I have to find how to disable the "autoselect" option and always I have to discover it from scratch. Initially it was in the proper user configuration files. Then it moved to the root filesystem somewhere in /adds/kbmenu and now it is completely gone. So, how do I disable it? Grepping points to autoselect in the actual kobomenu ELF binary, but I really hope it didn't get hardcoded there and it is still possible to disable autoselect?

Other things that, imho, are making KSM 09 slightly worse than KSM 08 are:

1. Remote web interface. Totally unnecessary. A UNIX computer (and all eInk devices are Linux and therefore UNIX computers) is administered only by editing text files in /etc and not via some GUI or (horror!) web thingies. But it is good that it is disabled by default.

2. The sshd (dropbear) is not started when usbnet interface is activated. What use is usbnet if there is no sshd? As I said, proper administration is done only via ssh to the node and then editing text files. So, usbnet without sshd is useless. Fortunately, vlasovsoft bundle includes dropbear which is activated by "WiFi Server" menu option (but it has its own problems).

3. usbnet and wifi interfaces activated by default when the device starts, so I had to use the "rmc" web interface to disable them. Remember eInk devices are so slow that they are practically unusable if you leave network devices and things like dropbear active (and also suspend will sometimes break and thousands of other minor problems will appear). I always reboot a device after any network interface was up even for a short period of time. I even disable the getty via /etc/inittab because it eats a few kilobytes of precious memory that could be used for rendering a few glyphs of a page of some book
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #558
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Every time I install KSM I have to find how to disable the "autoselect" option and always I have to discover it from scratch. Initially it was in the proper user configuration files. Then it moved to the root filesystem somewhere in /adds/kbmenu and now it is completely gone. So, how do I disable it? Grepping points to autoselect in the actual kobomenu ELF binary, but I really hope it didn't get hardcoded there and it is still possible to disable autoselect?
Nothing has changed since the last time we talked about it.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #559
Elaxon
Connoisseur
Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Is this post still valid?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=351
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #560
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
Things have slightly changed. I think the point you are interested in is the location of the scripts. They are now on the system partition: /adds/kbmenu/fmonsh
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #561
Elaxon
Connoisseur
Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Things have slightly changed. I think the point you are interested in is the location of the scripts. They are now on the system partition: /adds/kbmenu/fmonsh
Yeah what I'd like to install is Plato, Koreader and launcher.png to be able to launch pbchess. I have the pngs here and I guess I want the scripts and put them in there.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #562
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
Yeah what I'd like to install is Plato, Koreader and launcher.png to be able to launch pbchess. I have the pngs here and I guess I want the scripts and put them in there.
I think this is no so easy to accomplish. If you want to start Plato and so on from within nickle, please disable or deinstall KSM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #563
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Ah... So I must have forgotten the proper procedure to edit it. Ok, thank you very much, I will re-read the old thread and follow those instructions.

UPDATE: Yes, I have edited /adds/kbmenu/ksm_ini and added the line:

ksmAutoselectafter=-1

and now it works absolutely fine. Thank you.

Btw, is there a way to make the full menu default, so that I won't have to press "toggle btw full and short menu" every time I boot the device?

Thank you, tshering, for your patience

UPDATE: I've figured out that I just need to remove "+start_vlasovsoft" from suppressEntries in ksm_ini. I'll see if I can disable the "start_nickel" entry as well --- that would be just perfect! Yes, that works as well.

UPDATE: The only thing still broken is that enabling usbnet doesn't startup dropbear. I've edited the script /adds/kbmenu/scripts_intern/usb/usbnet_toggle.sh and set

useDropbear=true

but still it is not started. Ah, I see the script tries to write to "usbnet/dropbear.log" file off /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft but the "usbnet" subdirectory doesn't exist, so it will obviously fail. I'll create it now and see if it works. No, it fails with this error:

root@water2 # cat dropbear.log
/adds/kbmenu/scripts_intern/usb/usbnet_toggle.sh: line 45: /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft/usbnet/dropbear: not found

Of course, because there is no such script in the latest vlasovsoft:

root@water2 # cat VERSION

Instead, there are two scripts:

root@water2 # l usbnet*sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 111 Dec 28 18:19 usbnet_off.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 250 Dec 28 18:19 usbnet_on.sh

So, I'll need to edit your usbnet toggle scripts to use these instead.

UPDATE: Actually, the easiest solution was to edit vlasovsoft's applications.ini to look like this:

root@water2 # cat applications.ini
CoolReader = cr3.sh
FileManager = file_manager.sh
USBNet ON = usbnet_on.sh
USBNet OFF = usbnet_off.sh
WiFi ON = wifi_on.sh
WiFi OFF = wifi_off.sh
Dropbear ON = dropbear_on.sh
Dropbear OFF = dropbear_off.sh
My IP = my_ip.sh
WiFiServer = wifi_server.sh
Notepad = notepad.sh
Chess = chess.sh
Checkers = checkers.sh
Dictionary = dictionary.sh
Calculator = calculator.sh
Konsole = konsole.sh
Reboot = reboot.sh
Power off = poweroff.sh

And now I have usbnet (with dropbear) or WiFi (without dropbear) or dropbear on its own --- all working perfectly.

Last edited by tigran; 01-07-2019 at 09:19 AM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote