Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #91
Elaxon
Connoisseur
Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
What the external variant does is roughly:

- wait for nickel [default Kobo UI] to be started (if you are using some launcher, you have to launch nickel manually first)
- kill nickel
- umount user partition (other mods could prevent that from succeeding, which would be suboptimal)

- display a "progress bar" (same as nickel bootup bar, squares, going backwards)

- mount the filesystems read-only (of the internal card)
[progress bar would get stuck forever if this fails, e.g. possible if earlier umount failed]

At that point the preparation would be done, now comes the interaction part:

- show a black screen
- if external card is present, wait for it to be removed first

- show a white screen
- wait for external card to be inserted [this card will be formatted]

The removal/insertion is simply a means to confirm that you want this card to be formatted. It's to help avoid blindly formatting a card that was left inside the device.

After replacing the external card, user interaction phase has ended.

- display a "progress bar" (going forwards)
- partition and format the new card
- copy all data

this takes a while, depending on amount of data and card speeds.

- reboot the device

After reboot the device would complain about unable to read the external card (since it's formatted for internal use) however this didn't cause any damage when I tested it, so I opted to not have a 2nd interaction phase prompting you to remove the card first...
So what I did is I reset my device again as I tried without KSM and it did not help as when I logged into Kobo it updated to firmware 4.12.12111 which the script did not work under.

I reset it again and then I used sqlitebrowser to put in fake details so I can keep it at that version. After that the script ran under firmware 3.7 which was the recovery firmware version. So I can say now I have safely backed up my SD card if I will need it in the future again.

I thank you for this script. I can also confirm it does not work under 4.12.12111. I may have done something wrong but I do not believe so.
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #92
Elaxon
Connoisseur
Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Elaxon can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
I noticed people say the first headers are 10 MB, did my copy turn out correct? https://i.imgur.com/Zfky3kM.png
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert