Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Amazon going after KDP manipulators

Didn't see this posted and thought it might be of interest to some here...

Amazon Alleges Violations by KDP Authors, Publishers
Quote:
Citing violations of Kindle Direct Publishing terms and conditions, Amazon has filed arbitration complaints against five individuals who it says offered services to KDP author and publishers aimed at helping them manipulate the reading platform for financial gain. Amazon is demanding a combination of injunctive relief, account termination and in some cases, triple damages.

KDP is Amazon’s self-publishing platform and violations of KDP terms are governed by private arbitration. Therefore, Amazon's complaints have been submitted to the American Arbitration Association for a decision.

Amazon alleges that five people used a number of prohibited strategies to manipulate customers reviews and worked to inflate sales and royalties. Amazon essentially charges that a handful of individuals worked to create fake reviews for their books and others' in addition to attempts to manipulate Amazon systems that count book sales and the royalties paid to authors via its subscription reading service.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
This is the same Amazon that designed the KDP platform so that such manipulation could be managed isn't it? And aren't they the ones who insist on the TOC being in the back so that you have to go to the end of the book to find where you want to go in a non-fiction book or a collection of short stories, which then counts the book as having been read cover to cover on the KDP platform? From what I've read they are also the same Amazon who went after innocent writers who accidentally were in violation of their guidelines by having their TOC in the front of the book file. Maybe they should clean house before they attack others.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
This is the same Amazon that designed the KDP platform so that such manipulation could be managed isn't it? And aren't they the ones who insist on the TOC being in the back so that you have to go to the end of the book to find where you want to go in a non-fiction book or a collection of short stories, which then counts the book as having been read cover to cover on the KDP platform? From what I've read they are also the same Amazon who went after innocent writers who accidentally were in violation of their guidelines by having their TOC in the front of the book file. Maybe they should clean house before they attack others.
I think you read that backwards. The story I read said books were getting pulled for not having the TOC in front.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
And aren't they the ones who insist on the TOC being in the back so that you have to go to the end of the book to find where you want to go in a non-fiction book or a collection of short stories, which then counts the book as having been read cover to cover on the KDP platform?
From the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines:

Quote:
5.1 HTML TOC Guidelines

Place the HTML TOC towards the beginning of the book and not at the end of the book. This ensures that a customer paging through the book from the beginning encounters the TOC naturally. Incorrect placement of the TOC affects the accuracy of the “Last Page Read” feature. Correct placement ensures that the TOC appears in sample downloads of the book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
IT seems to me that this is like legal tax avoidance. If one can work within the rules of the system to profit, then that's okay. Then Amazon will have to change the rules to plug the loophole.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
This is the same Amazon that designed the KDP platform so that such manipulation could be managed isn't it? And aren't they the ones who insist on the TOC being in the back so that you have to go to the end of the book to find where you want to go in a non-fiction book or a collection of short stories, which then counts the book as having been read cover to cover on the KDP platform?
Entirely the opposite. People who put the TOC at the back are gaming the system for precisely the reason you describe. Amazon's publishing guidelines say it should be at the front.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a way around the ToC in the front of the book. Put in some endnotes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TOC in front, big index in back.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
As the others have told you, that "TOC in the back" thing is a STRICT no-no, and has been since the advent of time, pretty much. It used to be an accident--Calibre-built MOBIs sliding through with the TOC at the back of the book, but then, during the beginning of KENP, people did it deliberately to game the system.

The TOC "rule" has been in place since AT LEAST 2012. I have all the Kindle Publishing Guidelines, back through the beginning of 2012, and it's stated there, as well, although differently than it is today; it said:

Quote:
All Kindle books should have both logical and HTML TOCs. Users expect to see an HTML TOC when paging through a book from the beginning, while the logical table of contents is an additional way for users to navigate books.--from the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines, 2012.3
I don't know what you've been reading, but no: Amazon has NEVER gone after a single author for having their TOC where it is supposed to be. I can tell you that they have absolutely forced authors to move their TOC to the front of the book, even where no nefariousness was meant. (We are commercial formatters, and we've done ~3500 eBooks, so in this, I know whereof I speak.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think you read that backwards. The story I read said books were getting pulled for not having the TOC in front.
Could be that my memory played me false. I remember it was one way or the other. Of course either way there have been some problems with the system.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
As the others have told you, that "TOC in the back" thing is a STRICT no-no, and has been since the advent of time, pretty much. It used to be an accident--Calibre-built MOBIs sliding through with the TOC at the back of the book, but then, during the beginning of KENP, people did it deliberately to game the system.

The TOC "rule" has been in place since AT LEAST 2012. I have all the Kindle Publishing Guidelines, back through the beginning of 2012, and it's stated there, as well, although differently than it is today; it said:

I don't know what you've been reading, but no: Amazon has NEVER gone after a single author for having their TOC where it is supposed to be. I can tell you that they have absolutely forced authors to move their TOC to the front of the book, even where no nefariousness was meant. (We are commercial formatters, and we've done ~3500 eBooks, so in this, I know whereof I speak.)

Hitch
My memory played me false. I do remember seeing some threads where problems with the system were discussed and got it backwards. Some of it is the fact that the system is still fairly new compared to traditional publishing I think and of course there are always those who do try to game any system in their favor. I have heard that some people put free book offers near the back of their books so if someone goes there to find the offer it is counted as reading the pages.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
My memory played me false. I do remember seeing some threads where problems with the system were discussed and got it backwards.
Not a problem. I dunno about you, but as of late, my own memory ain't what it used to be. Ya know?

Quote:
Some of it is the fact that the system is still fairly new compared to traditional publishing I think and of course there are always those who do try to game any system in their favor. I have heard that some people put free book offers near the back of their books so if someone goes there to find the offer it is counted as reading the pages.
Yes, the offer-at-the-back-of-the-book thing is still alive and living. I don't know if any illegitimate authors used it--no doubt they did--I do know that legit authors use it, too. I guess, given that they've written real books with real plots, etc. I tend to turn a blind eye to it.

I do warn them, however. Not just for their own good, but selfishly, too. I have sort of lost my sense of humor about author/publishers that a) never get their ISBNs right, until AFTER we've wished them well and on their way, so the books have to be modified; b) don't find their last few typos until they upload the file at the KDP, and just GOTTA make those changes now; b) that get Kindle Quality Notices, for their spelling/grammar mistakes, and expect us to donate the time to fix them; c) ad nauseum. Therefore, I want them to get everything done, BEFORE they leave us, so that I don't have to deal with the inevitable discussion about how what we charge is fair, or not.

Spoiler:
(n.b.: I'm particularly cranky today, even for me. We had a client, did 3 books with us. In the middle of the 2nd, she called me, needed some reassurance, etc., about this and that, and I helped her, and helped her with her marketing plans, too. She even emailed me, about a week ago, to tell me how much that helped her and how I was right [about this or that].
Today--having moved her 4th book into production--I get an email from her telling me that "nothing against [us], but because of a recommendation, and price and turnaround time, [she is] using someone else." Gee, great. I guess my time donated to her books' futures has no bloody value. I mean, really? Does she think that El Cheapo Company #187 is going to take her whining phone calls?)

Just bloody tired of it. Anyway, yes, that bit--getting them to flip to the back for special orders, etc.--that's still used, quite a bit. In a way, is it cheating? Possibly. But it would be hard to argue that, given that they have a proven track record of producing highly readable, popular, good-selling books. One who uses it is an Edgar-winner. {shrug}. So....you know. I don't tell them that they cannot. If they were first-timers, I'd probably say something.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not a problem. I dunno about you, but as of late, my own memory ain't what it used to be. Ya know?

Yes, the offer-at-the-back-of-the-book thing is still alive and living. I don't know if any illegitimate authors used it--no doubt they did--I do know that legit authors use it, too. I guess, given that they've written real books with real plots, etc. I tend to turn a blind eye to it.

Hitch
I know what you mean about memory. It does happen to all of us now and then. One time (before direct deposit) I called for a cab so I could put my SSI check in the bank and when they answered the phone my mind went totally blank. Weird feeling. Luckily they knew where I wanted to go. I can't argue with you about if they have produced good books either. Much can be forgiven if the story is worth reading. Of course I often stick to free books so if anything is lost it's just a little bit of my time.

My own pet peeve is when they offer a free sample of x % of the book and when you download it to your reader it only gives you the cover, some of the front matter of the book and the TOC. Sometimes you don't even get to read any of the actual text so that you can see if the author can string words together in a coherent sentence.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I know what you mean about memory. It does happen to all of us now and then. One time (before direct deposit) I called for a cab so I could put my SSI check in the bank and when they answered the phone my mind went totally blank. Weird feeling. Luckily they knew where I wanted to go. I can't argue with you about if they have produced good books either. Much can be forgiven if the story is worth reading. Of course I often stick to free books so if anything is lost it's just a little bit of my time.

My own pet peeve is when they offer a free sample of x % of the book and when you download it to your reader it only gives you the cover, some of the front matter of the book and the TOC. Sometimes you don't even get to read any of the actual text so that you can see if the author can string words together in a coherent sentence.
Did I lock the door? That is my biggie.

I agree with your pet peeve. On non-fiction, my biggest pet peeve is "congratulations for downloading this book".
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's the author's responsibility, not Amazon's. When you upload a book to Amazon, you specify what percentage of the book should be in the sample.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote