Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #31
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Would you believe that I just now uninstalled _three_ apps on the dumbphone, but the amount of "storage" in the "settings" area of the apps still shows 15.72 gb used of the 16 gb in the internal storage? I'm going to install Moon on the PC and see if it can help me figure out what's going on.
I don't have Android 7, but on my android 5.1 device I open settings - storage - apps then select the app and often there is an option to move the app to the SD card. I also go to settings - storage to clear the cache by clicking on cache and saying yes to clearing the cache.

Additionally I use Calibre Companion (CC) to transfer books from calibre to my SD card. Choose location of books in CCs settings. In Moon+ Reader Pro I can set where to store the books in the app. Also in the podcast app I can choose to save podcasts to the SD card. But how this works on Android 7 I have no idea.

Personally I would buy a fast SD card (UAHS1) and follow the advice given previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If you are on Android N I would recommend following this video and converting your sd card to internal storage. The limitation is that you will have to treat the SD card as part of the phone from then on you won't be able to just take it out and use it another device
https://youtu.be/_7tkrFzM1Gg
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #32
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I don't have Android 7, but on my android 5.1 device I open settings - storage - apps then select the app and often there is an option to move the app to the SD card. I also go to settings - storage to clear the cache by clicking on cache and saying yes to clearing the cache.

Additionally I use Calibre Companion (CC) to transfer books from calibre to my SD card. Choose location of books in CCs settings. In Moon+ Reader Pro I can set where to store the books in the app. Also in the podcast app I can choose to save podcasts to the SD card. But how this works on Android 7 I have no idea.

Personally I would buy a fast SD card (UAHS1) and follow the advice given previously.
Things changed with Android 6. You can't move an app to an SD card unless you format the card as internal storage.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X-...w/td-p/3238691

There are pros and cons to using your card as internal storage, some googling will turn up various articles and forum discussions. I read a bunch of these when I bought an Android 6 phone last year but I no longer have links saved.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Would you believe that I just now uninstalled _three_ apps on the dumbphone, but the amount of "storage" in the "settings" area of the apps still shows 15.72 gb used of the 16 gb in the internal storage? I'm going to install Moon on the PC and see if it can help me figure out what's going on.
Is there even a Moon Reader for PC? In any case, I don't believe Moon Reader for PC will help you troubleshoot your Android smartphone.

Like I mentioned earlier, first thing I'd look into is moving photos and videos to microSD card. I think that's something that could be accomplished even with the default/native photo app (might be Photos or Gallery?).

Either that or connect the phone to your Mac/PC via USB and move photos and videos to your hard drive using Finder/Windows Explorer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #34
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

I don't think that there's a way that a person can change the storage settings in Nougat, as you described for 5.1. I actually had gone through settings, and even file manager, several times, spending a total of probably 3 hours or more, in the past couple of months, trying to find a way. I left alone anything that even hinted at being dangerous to mess with, however. Selecting "apps," and then selecting one of the apps, just basically gave me a choice of clearing the cache or uninstalling the whole app, as far as I could determine.

Maybe that was some nice feature of Android that someone in Cupertino decided that we didn't really need, and would improve things. Or, they decided to move it where no one could find it. That wouldn't be the first time that a high-tech company tried to improve things that were fine as they were. But enough about Windows 8 . . . .

And, something is going on that I mentioned in my last post, that I don't understand. That is how I can delete apps, but it seems like I still have the exact same amount of storage (which is precious little) left, at least according to the gauge/meter/whatever you call it.

I'm still going to install Moon. I already have Calibre installed, but I've been a holdout on trying to use it (I think that I dread yet another learning curve). I do have a life, and I've spent all of the time today, at least until tonight, that I can spend on the problem(s). In the meantime, I can still use the phone to make and receive phone calls--I think.

Sorry to be so grumpy. But it has been cathartic to verbalize some of my frustration. Thank you, guys, for staying with me.

ADDENDUM: Sorry. I started by responding to the last post first. Not smart. Some of you guys had already addressed some of the things that I brought up in this post.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-12-2018 at 02:19 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #35
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Things changed with Android 6. You can't move an app to an SD card unless you format the card as internal storage.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X-...w/td-p/3238691

There are pros and cons to using your card as internal storage, some googling will turn up various articles and forum discussions. I read a bunch of these when I bought an Android 6 phone last year but I no longer have links saved.
I don't remember formatting the SD card as internal storage. But, on the other hand, I don't remember not doing it. Internal storage and storage on the card show up are two separate entities. Does that indicate anything?

BTW--thanks for the link. It looked like the webpages had some valuable information, even though the information is dated. I still may have to read some articles and check some forums.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-13-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:55 AM   #36
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know if this will help anyone to help me (if there's anyone left who is willing to try), but somehow not only did I put stuff on the SD card at one or more times (there's 24.08 GB available now on the 32 GB card), but I've also managed to save stuff in both Google Drive and Dropbox (for some reason it's easier to access Google Drive than Dropbox. I wonder why? ). But I feel sure that the files now on those cloud drives were saved there to begin with, and not transferred to those drives from some other source, like the internal storage. I'm wondering now if that is why there are quite a number of files on the SD card. But now I don't remember how I did it, if that is what happened.

And will the phone look for apps if they are on, say, the SD card, only if they are in internal storage, or in both places? Maybe there is a setting for that; if so, I either haven't come across it yet or didn't understand the significance of it.

Right now I'm going to install Calibre Companion, that Dr.Ohh mentioned on this thread (post #31), and see if I can't at least transfer all of my books to the SD card. That should free up some room in internal storage, but as I mentioned in one or more other posts, when I uninstalled 3 or 4 apps, nothing changed in at least the readout of the total GB used or of the percentage used. And if CC did work, I'll only be kicking the can down the road, but right now I'll settle for something that will work for even just a little while.

Thanks, again, to all who have helped. Let me see what happens now with Calibre Companion; it looks from things said on this thread, and in another one in this forum that Moon is available only as an app, which, of course, I won't be able to install.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-13-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:09 AM   #37
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right now I'm going to install Calibre Companion, that someone either or this thread or another one in this forum mentioned, and see if I can't at least transfer all of my books to the SD card. That should free up some room in internal storage, but as I mentioned in one or more other posts, when I uninstalled 3 or 4 apps, nothing changed in at least the readout of the total GB used or the percentage used.
Please note, Calibre Companion doesn't move ebooks already on your phone from internal storage to SD card. It's designed to work with Calibre to transfer books from Calibre to your smartphone. You can, however, assign Calibre Companion to store ebooks downloaded from Calibre to the SD card.

If you want to move files from internal storage to SD card, use a file manager such as ES File Explorer. Or maybe do what cfrizz recommended and connect the smartphone to computer via USB and use the computer to manage your smartphone.

Honestly, it seems to me that you're installing a bunch of apps (Moon Reader, Calibre Companion) that are good for reading or navigating your book collection but doesn't actually solve the issue of moving existing files around to free up space in internal memory.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #38
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Please note, Calibre Companion doesn't move ebooks already on your phone from internal storage to SD card. It's designed to work with Calibre to transfer books from Calibre to your smartphone. You can, however, assign Calibre Companion to store ebooks downloaded from Calibre to the SD card.

If you want to move files from internal storage to SD card, use a file manager such as ES File Explorer. Or maybe do what cfrizz recommended and connect the smartphone to computer via USB and use the computer to manage your smartphone.

Honestly, it seems to me that you're installing a bunch of apps (Moon Reader, Calibre Companion) that are good for reading or navigating your book collection but doesn't actually solve the issue of moving existing files around to free up space in internal memory.
I'll respond tomorrow (well, today, since it's (well) after midnight now). I had a message almost completed, and hit some key that erased it all! That happens quite often. I've got to find out what key that it is, and make a point to stay away from it. ARrggh!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
:What you really need is a helpful teenage relative or neighbor who is good with Android
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #40
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
:What you really need is a helpful teenage relative or neighbor who is good with Android
_Anyone_ under about age 50 would be probably be a big help. ha

By the time that I finished high school, even the Commodore 64s still had a couple of years left before they would come out. Kids coming along shortly after me were exposed to personal computers from an early age. And I'm not wired (no pun intended) to understand computer-type stuff very well to begin with.

Later.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-13-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #41
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, first thing I'd look into is moving photos and videos to microSD card. I think that's something that could be accomplished even with the default/native photo app (might be Photos or Gallery?).

Either that or connect the phone to your Mac/PC via USB and move photos and videos to your hard drive using Finder/Windows Explorer.
Thanks, again. I think that the next thing that I try will be one (hopefully only one will be necessary) or both of the things that you suggested. I think of it as coming from the other direction--instead of trying to accomplish what I want, using the phone, I'll try to use the app or PC to accomplish the job that I want to do on the smartphone. Sounds like a convoluted system to me, but whatever works . . . .
Old 04-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #42
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Thanks, again. I think that the next thing that I try will be one (hopefully only one will be necessary) or both of the things that you suggested. I think of it as coming from the other direction--instead of trying to accomplish what I want, using the phone, I'll try to use the app or PC to accomplish the job that I want to do on the smartphone. Sounds like a convoluted system to me, but whatever works . . . .
Well, you can accomplish it directly on Android. It just seems to me you're having a hard time figuring out how. I've never had issues with file management on Android (I use ES File Explorer). I think it's probably because you need to get used to a new touch based interface without the benefit mouse and simple drag'n'drop. What we have on Android is actually far easier than on iOS. Of course, the Apple/iOS way to is throw money at a problem (e.g. $100-300 internal storage upgrades).

Note, long pressing on icons is usually equivalent to right clicking on Windows. That often gives you a bunch of useful menu items.

I don't have an Android device with me right at this moment but when I checked last night (Moto G4 Play, Android 7.1), it seemed like mine actually had a built-in file manager already (Settings - Storage - Explore, iirc).

Think of it this way, the internal memory on Android is your C: drive. You're running out of space on C: drive so you connected an external hard drive or flash drive (let's call it D: ) to your computer to get more space. Problem is you never told your apps to save files on D: instead of C: and that's kind of where you are right now.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #43
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just got an LG V30 and the file manager it comes with is a bit odd. If your home screen is setup like mine was you will see a folder called Management and in there is an app called File Manager.

On the upper left is a menu with three lines. Tap on that and you will be able to switch between internal storage and your SD card. First go to the SD card and create a folder (or multiple) to move your files to by tapping on the three dots menu on the upper right and choose new folder.

In internal storage tap on a folder that has files you want to move. Then tap on the three dots menu on the upper right and one of the choices is Move. Tap on that and it will put a check box next to each file in the folder. Check the ones you want to move and tap on MOVE in the lower right corner, then choose SD card. Choose the folder you want to move the files to and tap OK. If you're chicken you can copy the files the same way instead of moving and then delete the files after you're done.

If the files you want to move were put into internal storage by an app - like an ebook reader - you might be able to move them from there. Otherwise you will need to tell the app where to find the files after you move them using the file manager.

LG does allow you to move apps to the SD card. I can post screen shots later if you need me to. Not all apps allow you to move, but the Kindle app does allow it. Go to Apps in the settings menu and tap on the Kindle app. Then tap on storage and it will show it's currently in internal storage. Tap on change and choose SD card and it will move some of it to the SD.

I'm dyslexic and tried to make sure I said left when it was on the left, but if you don't see something on the side I said it was on try the other side!
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
LG does allow you to move apps to the SD card. I can post screen shots later if you need me to. Not all apps allow you to move, but the Kindle app does allow it. Go to Apps in the settings menu and tap on the Kindle app. Then tap on storage and it will show it's currently in internal storage. Tap on change and choose SD card and it will move some of it to the SD.
This, I don't recommend doing if at all avoidable. Most SD cards are pretty crappy and often results in poor performance, crashing, etc.

That said, if one wishes to use SD for apps/internal storage, good brands include Samsung and SanDisk.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #45
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You are making it 10 times harder than it has to be. You don't need Calibre, all you need to do is connect you phone via usb to your pc. go into window explorer, on the left hand side you will see all the folders on your pc, as well as your phone.

All of my drm free books are in the Documents file, within that file is a file folder under the name of My Ebooks. Within Windows you can click the Card file under the phone tab and make a My Ebooks folder. Then all you have to do is go into your pc My Ebooks folder, select all the books and drag them down to the My Ebooks folder under the Card Tab. The pc will copy all of the books onto the card.

Once done, all you have to do is go into Moonreader on the phone, tell it to look for the books under the My Ebooks file on the card and import.

There is no need to load the Moonreader app onto the card, you simply have to tell Moonreader where to find the books.

Last edited by cfrizz; 04-13-2018 at 09:57 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote