Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
libprs500 and eBook Library

Since this morning I joined - at last - the 505 owners crowd, and I'm delighted ...

Having installed both eBook Library from the Sony CD and libprs500, I have a doubt: it seems that libprs500 is perfectly able to detect my 505, and I used it to transfer files, fetch news (NYTimes again working! Good work!), and convert formats.
So, this program is perfectly able to cover everything eBook Library does? Or there is some reason to keep eBL around?

P.S. I used pdflrf V0.99 to perfectly convert a lot of files: any hope that it can be used from libprs500?

Thank you!

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I also, as a new PRS500 owner, would find a sort of comparison sheet between the original software from Sony and the libprs500 very interesting.
I tried libprs500, and find it quite impressive. The only thing I can think of that seemed simpler with the Sonny software was maybe the management of collections.
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500 manages collections using tags. Its actually a more flexible system than the original collections system in the sony software. Any tag that you apply to a book becomes a collection when you transfer the book to the device.

There are two things that elibrary does that libprs500 does not do:
1) It does not allow you to buy books from the SONY Connect store
2) It does not do the pre-pagination of books when transferring to the device.

Of course it does a lot of things that elibrary does not do :-)
Its major features are listed here https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Features
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As for pdflrf, in principle, I don't mind adding support, but I prefer to convert PDFs to text, which is what pdf2lrf does, so I lack the motivation. But patches will be accepted :-)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Thanks for your answers ! I'll give this tag system a closer look
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
libprs500 manages collections using tags. Its actually a more flexible system than the original collections system in the sony software. Any tag that you apply to a book becomes a collection when you transfer the book to the device.

There are two things that elibrary does that libprs500 does not do:
1) It does not allow you to buy books from the SONY Connect store
2) It does not do the pre-pagination of books when transferring to the device.

Of course it does a lot of things that elibrary does not do :-)
Its major features are listed here https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Features
With the 505, can I have ebook Library installed to use with the 505 and also use Libprs500? Do I need to install the device driver?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes you can use both in principle. There's no need to have the libprs500 driver installed. However, using both to transfer files may lead to problems. I haven't really tested this. This is because the ebooklib software uses a slightly different XML database format.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the 505, can I have ebook Library installed to use with the 505 and also use Libprs500? Do I need to install the device driver?
I've got them both installed (didn't install the libprs driver) on a Vista machine & can use libprs500 for my lit2lrf conversions as long as the Reader isn't plugged in if the Reader is plugged in libprs500 freezes. No biggie for me as I can do what I need to do with both programs, but may be for you if you're wanting to use libprs500 to do actual transfers & stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Yes you can use both in principle. There's no need to have the libprs500 driver installed. However, using both to transfer files may lead to problems. I haven't really tested this. This is because the ebooklib software uses a slightly different XML database format.
It appears that I may be suffering from a side-effect of this. I had been doing all my file transfers via eBook Library, so I didn't have to wait for the Reader to process newly loaded files. However, I recently transferred some files via libprs500. Now whenever I plug my Reader in when eBook Library is running, eBook Library freezes so badly that I have to kill the process to quit from the program.

How do I get the eBook Library to not freeze up now? It works perfectly fine UNTIL I plug the Reader in. If I delete the database xml file from the Reader, will that fix the problem or just cause more trouble?

BTW, I have a 505 and WinXP, and the Reader is recognized by Windows when I plug it in.

Thanks.

Last edited by JTravers; 11-27-2007 at 09:23 PM.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can try deleting the XML database file (make a backup first). It's in database/cache/media.xml

Deleting it will only cause you to lose collections and perhaps some metadata, the reader automatically regenerates the file if it is missing when you disconnect.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
You can try deleting the XML database file (make a backup first). It's in database/cache/media.xml
Worked perfectly.
Thanks.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote