Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
DropDeadFred
DropDeadFred began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, REB1200
Buying a REB1200

Hey guys!

I've been using my EBW1150 for about 4 years now and have loved it. Everything I thought I wouldn't like about it turn out not to matter in the least (not true B/W for one).

Before I bought it I looked at the larger color model and thought it look really cool, but was told by someone at ETI(?) that they weren't available to buy. Now come to find out you guys have them and love them. Now I want one, too.

I just saw one for sale for $135 used. Does that sound reasonable? Are there other places to get them? Can you buy a 'new' one?

I've working things like this: HTML -> Publisher -> GEB Librarian -> 1150. Are things pretty similar with the 1200?

I think I probably still like the 1150 form factor a little better, but I want to give the larger color screen a shot. Worse case I give it to my dad and go back to the 1150.

There a lot of questions there, sorry for rambling, but any advice would be appreciated!

DropDeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred View Post
Hey guys!

I've been using my EBW1150 for about 4 years now and have loved it. Everything I thought I wouldn't like about it turn out not to matter in the least (not true B/W for one).

Before I bought it I looked at the larger color model and thought it look really cool, but was told by someone at ETI(?) that they weren't available to buy. Now come to find out you guys have them and love them. Now I want one, too.
Been there, done that!

I started with the B&W REB1100, but when I saw the REB1200, I too just had to have one. I originally bought it off ebay for about US$250. That was back in 2003.

Quote:
I just saw one for sale for $135 used. Does that sound reasonable? Are there other places to get them? Can you buy a 'new' one?
Very reasonable, but make sure you have all the important accessories, like working battery, stylus, AC charger (most don't come with this and it's hard to find a universal-type!). Also, if the firmware is less than 3.1, then you will need to send it in to ETI for them to upgrade the firmware and migrate it. Check this out http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/migration.htm.

Despite what appears to be ETI's official line, they may sell you an ETI-1 (REB1200) if you are willing to part with about US$400! Just call them!

Quote:
I've working things like this: HTML -> Publisher -> GEB Librarian -> 1150. Are things pretty similar with the 1200?
Exactly, except you need to choose the 'Color Full-VGA' build-target.

Quote:
I think I probably still like the 1150 form factor a little better, but I want to give the larger color screen a shot. Worse case I give it to my dad and go back to the 1150.
The larger form factor and color are nice, but the weight of the device makes it uncomfortable to hold with one-hand and I usually prop it up against something (cushion, pillow, ..) while reading for extended periods of time. That said, I would never part with it, and rarely read on my EBW1150 anymore.

Quote:
There a lot of questions there, sorry for rambling, but any advice would be appreciated!

I like questions...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
DropDeadFred

Thanks Nick. I was hoping for your input as 'The REB1200 Guy'.

How much of a 'need to' is the firmware thing. Can you not get your own content on it without that version? I certainly would want to get it all the way upgraded having read some of your posts on the subject, but is there a basic level of functionality below version 3.1?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred View Post
Thanks Nick. I was hoping for your input as 'The REB1200 Guy'.

How much of a 'need to' is the firmware thing. Can you not get your own content on it without that version? I certainly would want to get it all the way upgraded having read some of your posts on the subject, but is there a basic level of functionality below version 3.1?

Thanks for your help!
Below firmware 3.1, there is 2.0 which I had with my backup REB1200 and would allow .RES folders to be transferred to the CF card, not .imp ebooks. Then there were some firmwares like 2.3 that prevented any personal content from being loaded, see the early REB1200 Yahoo Group postings or http://www.chromakinetics.com/REB1200/FAQ.htm#firmware

Plus after you migrate the firmware to 4.2, then you can purchase online/current ebooks from www.ebookwise.com or www.fictionwise.com as well as surf the internet using Impserve (much better than with the EBW1150). Have a look at my internet surfing pictures in my REB1200 Album and EBW1150 Album!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
DropDeadFred

Did the deed

Well, it took a while but I finally purchased a REB1200. Two actually, just sniped them on ebay this afternoon. (Hope I didn't steal them from anyone here ) Only one AC adapter between them, but that ok as my wife is already laying claim to one, so my dad might never get his.

I didn't have time to ask about the firmware versions, so that will be the first thing I check. I won't have them for a few weeks, but now I'm getting excited for Christmas for the first time in years.

Can't wait to try out impserve and the like. Now that I've got multiple .imp readers, it may be time to get into the nuts and bolts of the format and see if I can get things automatically converting the way I like them. That CS degree might finally be good for something. You guys have done a lot of work already. I'd like to do something that would automatically make multiple version with different font settings based on what I, my wife and/or my dad prefers.

Counting the days.
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
DropDeadFred: Using Nick's command line tools you can with a quick batch file convert a book into more then one font setting. I used to do this, but now I just convert to the extra tiny font and tell my wife to use "Large font" on the device. WE're happy now.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
DropDeadFred

Good to know. Now that I've got two of the same reader to deal with and an older 1150, I'm going to need that kind of automation to keep everyone happy.