Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Massive iTunes hacking/stolen money underway at this time

Better check your iTunes account, there is news of massive hacking of Apples App store, specifically the iBook section. See the news section in this forum for more...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It may be a little early to use the word "massive". The reports simply say that they have been contacted by "a number of people". Of course, changing one's password may be a useful safety precaution anyway. Just checked my account and nothing amiss.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It may be a little early to use the word "massive". The reports simply say that they have been contacted by "a number of people". Of course, changing one's password may be a useful safety precaution anyway. Just checked my account and nothing amiss.
Actually these are the headlines from tech news sources just about everywhere, not my words. Now there are reports of thefts in the thousands, and worldwide. All of this from a rogue app developer.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Don't we get e-mail receipts each time a purchase is made through iTunes? (Unless hackers are changing our e-mail addresses, too?) I buy barely anything from iTunes or iBooks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Don't we get e-mail receipts each time a purchase is made through iTunes? (Unless hackers are changing our e-mail addresses, too?) I buy barely anything from iTunes or iBooks.
That is what my daughter just told me -- that an email is sent confirming each purchase on your account.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
That is what my daughter just told me -- that an email is sent confirming each purchase on your account.
You get an email confirming purchases-but not necessarily right away-sometimes they group a few together...regardless, its easy enough to check your account in iTunes-no problems here.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Actually these are the headlines from tech news sources just about everywhere, not my words. Now there are reports of thefts in the thousands, and worldwide. All of this from a rogue app developer.
I am a little unclear; if a rogue app developer can make purchases against one's account without knowing one's current password, how will changing the password help?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am a little unclear; if a rogue app developer can make purchases against one's account without knowing one's current password, how will changing the password help?
I have no idea how this is working, but I saw one post that stated their email, username, password, and secret password question/answer were all changed. People are finding out by charges on their bank accounts, not from Apple emails. Evidently there is a small charge, then once approved a series of $50-100 charges are made to your account.

I had my checking account hacked one time last year, and within one day I had bought makeup in the UK, airline tickets in Chile, and herbal junk from Utah, even more until my account was cleaned out.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Possibly a dictionary-based attack program is finding accounts with weak passwords? Sounds as if it may be something like that. A "golden rule" is never to use a password that's in the dictionary. I see now what's happening, though - the account is being hacked and then purchases made against "junk" books that the criminal has uploaded to the iBookstore. If that is the case, this will probably only affect people with accounts on the US iBookstore since that's currently the only one that permits individuals to upload books for sale.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

I'm seeing reports that it's definitely in the UK and probably worldwide. YMMV. I'm not trying to bring bad news, I just want people to give this a heads-up.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Really, having a non-guessable password is all that anyone can do. Unless someone's actually hacked into Apple's security system (which is rather unlikely), if they don't know your e-mail address and password, they can't get into your account.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

It will be interesting to see how a rogue developer could get away with something like this. I know that Apple is aware of it, but they are not making any comments.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
It will be interesting to see how a rogue developer could get away with something like this. I know that Apple is aware of it, but they are not making any comments.
Given, though, that developers/authors don't get money from app/book sales instantly, but are paid monthly by Apple, all that's probably going to happen here is that the "rogue" books will be deleted, and the "sales" reversed. I seriously doubt that anyone's going to lose any money, or the hacker make any.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Secure passwords nowadays need to have:
-at least 8 characters
-include at least one: uppercase, lowercase, number, special character
At least that's what I learned in a malware/software vulnerabilties grad class last year. Maybe the requirements have increased since then.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Secure passwords nowadays need to have:
-at least 8 characters
-include at least one: uppercase, lowercase, number, special character
At least that's what I learned in a malware/software vulnerabilties grad class last year. Maybe the requirements have increased since then.
Yes, what you describe above is exactly what the government secure systems I use in my job enforce. A password conforming to those guidelines should certainly be safe.