Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
grzy7316
grzy7316 doesn't littergrzy7316 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPod Touch, Palm Zire m150
Firmware hack to get around problem?

I know people have hacked the firmware on the prs 505 to add features. What I want to know is if there is any way I could have a black bar about the same thickness as the bar that is at the top when looking through book selections always be at the top when reading books. I have a crack in the screen at the top right corner, and it cuts off part of the text. Would anyone be able to help me with this?
grzy7316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Easiest way would be to edit LRF files so that they have thicker header.
Another way round is moving status bar to the top.

Much harder part is actually resizing the view
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
grzy7316

How would I move status bar to the top? also, I just installed PRS+
Old 05-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can only help you providing generic help, don't have time to test everything myself. I've once tried to remove status bar, it wasn't hard but it didn't lead to expected results (view wasn't resized to effectively use additional space)

You'll have to modify the following file:
/opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts/main.xml

You'll need SD card. (modifying existing files on IM is buggy)
Create prsp.sh file in "database/system/PRSPlus" folder on internal memory. Put there:

Code:
mount -t vfat -o utf8 -o shortname=mixed /dev/sdmscard/r5c807a1 /opt/mnt/sd
cp /opt/mnt/sd/main.xml /tmp/main.xml
mount --bind /tmp/main.xml /opt/sony/ebook/application/resources/scripts/main.xml
umount /opt/mnt/sd
Make sure you have unix style EOLs! (\n, not \r or \r\n)
The code above effectively replaces main.xml with one from the root of SD card without actually reflashing the reader. (You'll need to restart the reader every time you modify main.xml)

In main.xml, PAGE_GROUP is the view that you want to modify. I'd try setting PAGE_GROUP's top to, say 50 to see what happens. PAGE_GROUP also contains a number of other elements, with obvious names which you can move around.

Internal elements live in coordinate system of the parent.
Hope it helps.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
grzy7316

SO I grabbed a copy of universal flasher, and am looking at the main.xml but I don't see a thing to list PAGE_GROUP's top or whatever. also, is there any way to just modify the files in the prs+ installer to make those changes for me?

Last edited by grzy7316; 05-16-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author

grzy7316
You don't need universal flasher.

Quote:
but I don't see a thing to list PAGE_GROUP's top or whatever.
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/so...?repo=firmware

Code:
group id="PAGE_GROUP" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0" visible="false"
Quote:
is there any way to just modify the files in the prs+ installer to make those changes for me?
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/BuildingPRSPlus

1) ant download
2) change what you want
3) ant dobuild

Will create your own PRS+ Installer with your own stuff.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
grzy7316

I have tried installing at etc to build this but it has failed for me. Is there any way anyone could package up a custom prs+ installer with said modifications? I would be most grateful.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzy7316 View Post
Quote:
What I want to know is if there is any way I could have a black bar about the same thickness as the bar that is at the top when looking through book selections always be at the top when reading books. I have a crack in the screen at the top right corner, and it cuts off part of the text. Would anyone be able to help me with this?
How would I move status bar to the top? also, I just installed PRS+
Let's keep it simple.

Rotate the view to landscape and increase the right margin. This should effectively keep you reading for a while.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
grzy7316

How would I increase that margin? Still through the main.xml? If so, I would still need help with creating an installer for it as I fail at building prs+
Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How would I increase that margin?
You would change the right-margin in the ePub via Sigil or conversion of the file using Calibre. You'd have to ask others the details.

Quote:
Still through the main.xml? If so, I would still need help with creating an installer for it as I fail at building prs+
Changing the right-margin doesn't require PRS+, but I think the custom css option of PRS+ might make it easy to change margins for ePub files.

Good Luck.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #11
grzy7316

Ok, so I want to try a custom css file, but I do not know where to start with this. can someon post a sample css file that I can load as my style.css on prs+? after this I should be able to edit it.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Ok, so I want to try a custom css file, but I do not know where to start with this. can someon post a sample css file that I can load as my style.css on prs+? after this I should be able to edit it.
This is the one I currently use. I stole much of it and I'm unsure if some of it has any effect, but it certainly does no harm.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Futura";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Futura.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Futura-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Futura-Italic.ttf);
}

/* Standard elements */

html, body { 
font-family: "Futura", sans-serif; 
widows: 0; 
orphans: 0; 
margin: 0; 
padding: 0; 
}

blockquote.message { font-family: monospace; }
blockquote.code { font-family:  monospace; }
code { font-family: monospace; }

h1, h2, h3, h4{ margin: 0; padding: 0; text-indent: 0;}

p {text-indent:1.1em;}
div {text-indent:1.1em;}

/* 
   To increase ePub line height Remove rem slashes 
   surrounding the paragraph and division statements below. 
   Then adjust percentage higher, try 110% to start.
*/

/*

p {
line-height: 110%
}

div {
line-height: 110%
}

*/
Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
I have tried installing at etc to build this but it has failed for me. Is there any way anyone could package up a custom prs+ installer with said modifications? I would be most grateful.
Here you have the custom installer. I hope it is what you want.

http://www.4shared.com/file/UAxEecNC..._Installe.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-5-30.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	52512  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
grzy7316