Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
Starting a Second Library?

How do I create a second library / database. As in two separate Libraries, Fiction and NonFiction, in the following locations;

D:/calibre/Fiction
D:/calibre/NonFiction

I already have the Fiction Library set up. If I change the preferences location to the new folder or start the wizard, it moves all the current books to the new location and copies the DB.

Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
two ways

Use --with-library

or copy the library to the new location using windows explorer and then use preferences. then delete all books in the new library using calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Fith
Enthusiast

How do you use "--with-library"?

I used this in the Target of the Shortcut (also tried the jumplist post which started this post)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library D:\Books\Calibre Library\Non Fiction\Software

This had no effect on Calibre, it started with original DB.

Last edited by Fith; 03-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The directory you point to in with library has to exist.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Fith
Enthusiast

Weird, It's just started working

It was a syntax thing... missing quotes, but I'm sure I tried that in a shortcut before posting

Last edited by Fith; 03-06-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Just a quick question on this. I transfered all of my ebooks just under /Calibre Library. So if I want to make separate folders as well (fiction, non-fiction, horror, ect) do I just move them into the folders I have created under Calibre Library, or do I need to move them somehow else? I don't want to move them where I end up with errors in the system.

Thank you
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Don't have separate libraries under the folder for another library.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
oh.. ok. I guess I am just trying to figure out the easiest way to sort the 140 books I currently have in Calibre. I have seen many posts where you have gone into great detail explaining it, but I am still not getting it :/ I will keep playing with it though until I do. I really do love this program though
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Fith
Enthusiast

The reason I wanted separate libraries was to keep rarely used technical books and free download classics out of the growing Fiction Library of the books I love. Yes I could have used TAGs etc. but really they just didn't need to be there most of the time.

When I saw rollercoaster's jumplist doohicky I figured it was time to deal with it.

I now have this sort of folder structure:

D:\Books\Calibre Library\NonFiction\Software
D:\Books\Calibre Library\Fiction\FavAuthors
D:\Books\Calibre Library\Fiction\SciFi-Fantasy
D:\Books\Calibre Library\Fiction\ClassicsFree
D:\Books\Calibre Library\Fiction\Bookshelf

Each one a separate Calibre Library accessed via the Jumplist. It was easy to set up despite my posts.

Create the empty folder structure you need. Just put quote marks around the "drive path" to the different libraries. An empty Library was created when Calibre started.

[N.B. If it moves your existing books and libraries across don't panic! You can move them back to the original position using your windows filemanager. I don't know why it did this to me, or why it stopped...
But, the Library wasn't damaged! If you have the space and software I would suggest you compress (ZIP or RAR etc) or just copy the Calibre Library folder as a backup first]

If you want to have ago without using the jumplists you can create multiple Shortcuts on the desktop of the Calibre program and change the "Target" properties from;

"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe"

to;

"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library "D:\Books\Calibre Library\NonFiction\Software"
OR
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library "D:\Books\Calibre Library\Fiction\FavAuthors"

using your own folder structure.

Last edited by Fith; 03-07-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fith View Post
If it moves your existing books and libraries across don't panic! You can move them back to the original position using your windows filemanager. I don't know why it did this to me, or why it stopped...
But, the Library wasn't damaged!
If you point to a folder that already has books and metadata.db in it, it uses them as the new library. If you point to an empty folder, it moves your current library (books and metadata.db) over to the new folder. It seems to leave the old metadata.db in the old folder, and I've sometimes seen some quirky behavior, so I recommend avoiding the "point to empty folder and let Calibre move library" function.

Just copy your folder and delete the books you don't want. (Calibre's happy if you just give it the folder and metadata.db, but no books will be available.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote