Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
argonaut
argonaut began at the beginning.

Device: none
how to export metadata and rename files?

hello,

i'm a new user of calibre. i've collected a lot of ebooks in the last year but they're not well organized, so i'm hoping that calibre can help.

i very much like calibre's capacity to extract basic metadata from an ebook. i haven't found another program yet which does this so well WITHOUT querying the internet. (suggestions?)

with the bare bones metadata from calibre, i can then decide which books i want to have queried for tags, etc. this seems important since there are daily limits to the number of requests (how many for amazon?) and i have thousands of books / articles to organize at this point.... the task could take weeks otherwise.

maybe it is a good idea for calibre to query five or so databases, which can be selected or deselected, so that the possible daily limit through calibre is larger.

but i've got two main problems:

#1 i want to export that metadata to other applications such as zotero and endnote. endnote is especially important. but i can't find a way to do this through the opf file. is there another way to export the metadata to endnote?

#2 when i save to disk, i can save the renamed file with last name author, first name author, title, publisher, pubdate, isbn; in other words, in the same basic format as a bibliography. this is important in case i'm looking for an author using other means, i.e. windows search, locate32, google desktop, etc., and i want to sort the results. can i rename the file in this manner before "save to disk"?

i don't use a reader, just my laptop, so these are my main concerns. i've searched the help and forum but i didn't see answers to these specific questions.

comments / help appreciated!

argonaut

argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #2
argonaut

I'm hoping for a response to this question about citation managers in particular!!!:

"i want to export that metadata to other applications such as zotero and endnote. endnote is especially important. but i can't find a way to do this through the opf file. is there another way to export the metadata to endnote?"
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
1) As far as I know the only way to export metadata is via the OPF file. Why is this not OK for you?

2) At the moment you can specify the mask for the name to be generated using Save To Disk. However I do not think it allows for all the fields you mentioned. If you raised a ticket as an enhancement request for any that are missing that you want to use I am sure it would shortly appear in a future calibre release.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
argonaut

Thanks for the reply itimpi.

I cannot import the OPF into Endnote or Zotero. In effect, I don't see how Calibre integrates with citation managers.

I like the metadata extractor, the tags especially, but I can't effectively export them or the citation for manipulation in Endnote. That's the problem.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds like this is a problem with the citation managers then. They should be able to import an .opf file as it is a standard format.

The alternative would be to write a tool of your own that can extract the data from the .opf file and put it into a format that the tools you want to use expect.

You can always raise a ticket covering a Calibre enhancement request for a new option to export metadata in some other formats. I am not sure that integration to citation managers was ever a high priority requirement for Calibre but that does not stop you raising it as something you would like to see.

Note that if you use the command line tools the calibre-db command already allows data to be exported in csv format.

Last edited by itimpi; 10-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
argonaut

Calibre will always have limited use for academics without an easy and accurate way to export its metadata into the most common citation managers of Endnote and Zotero. It makes sense for Calibre to have this integration to involve this large international community of "professional" readers ... Calibre has better metadata extraction than either one of those two programs.

Both of them take BibTeX, RIS, plain text, I believe, and a few others. I'll look into the command line tools and let you know the results.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
Look in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57944
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
argonaut

Thanks for the responses.

I couldn't get the metadata file to appear in the proper format.

More fundamentally, Calibre seems to only produce a single (opf) for each record. So there is no way to move a batch of citations to Endnote.

This shouldn't be difficult to implement. All Calibre needs is an option to save a single text list of the books in the following tagged format (easier than xml and opf, i'd imagine):

EX:

%0 Book
%A Roger King
%T Governing Universities Globally: Organizations, Regulation and Rankings
%D 2009
%I Edward Elgar Publishing
%P 235
%@ 1847207391

Calibre's Tags can be put in Keywords and Summaries can be put in Notes.

(This link leads to a doc outlining some of this tagged format):

www.le.ac.uk/li/downloads/endnotetaggedfile.doc

or

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...JGFmoPt8IHR4hw

I've placed a ticket for this enhancement and I hope that it's implemented. I firmly believe that this would greatly increase the number of Calibre users.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
kokoshmusun
kokoshmusun began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I just switched to Calibre for managing all my ebooks and I'm wondering if there has been any developments in exporting from calibre into a format I can use for citation, such as bibtex. I'm new to Calibre and didn't see any such option. Anybody know?
kokoshmusun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
metadata can be exported to XML, CSV, epub and mobi
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #11
kokoshmusun
kokoshmusun began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Cool, I just found that option and can export to .csv now. Are there any tips for how to go from there if I want to turn this into .bib? Basically, I'm trying to figure out if there's an easy way I can use Calibre to facilitate citing my books in APA format. And if not, it makes less sense to load them all onto calibre.
kokoshmusun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm sure there must be some tools that read csv and export to bibtex, nut I don't know of them personally.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote