Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
AvantGo being retired

Pocket PC Thoughts is reporting that AvantGo is being retired. I'd say this is just a sign of the progress made with availability of mobile content on the web. For some strange reason, even though I haven't used it in years, I'm still sad to see it go. I used it heavily when I first started syncing content from the web to my PDA many years ago. I remember it fondly for the service provided in those early days of mobile web content.

Quote:
Avantgo is a service that scraped websites and sync'd the content to your mobile device allowing you to read articles on the go. Effective June 30, 2009, they are dropping the service. I am actually surprised it is still around. It was neat to use when few mobile devices had online access or even lacked a real browser, but for several years not, just about everyone has full time all-you-can-eat data plans. The exact wording on their page is a bit strange:

"AvantGo is changing! From June 30, 2009, AvantGo will no longer be providing mobile content."
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I also used it in the days before decent RSS feed integration. I was particularly keen on he way they elegantly reformatted pages around images, which was used extensively on my Palm III.

Chirro pioneers of mobile web, you gave us a taste before the pie.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
bzHADI
bzHADI began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
i was a user of Avantgo, too. until recently.
i used to synch it with my palm iii, palm m500...
i was also impressed by how it extract useful content from crowded and ugly websites...
i will miss it
bzHADI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Pour out a little liquor
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
My Tungsten T3 probably still has the last sync to it still on it! If it still has a charge...

Prost!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
hackettt
Enthusiast
hackettt is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505
Where's my Handspring Visor? One last time for memory's sake.
hackettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
hyd
hyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Iliad
Mmm. Might do a last sync on my Tungsten C for nostalgia's sake.
hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
mercutio54
mercutio54 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is sad :-(.

I started using Avantgo many years ago on a Palm IIIc, and I am still using it almost every day on my HTC S740 Winmobile smartphone - it is just perfect for my way to work - in Munich we still don't have mobile networks in the subway.

So do I really have to get used to one of these new-fashioned rss readers
mercutio54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
sirhunter2010
sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sirhunter2010 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
I used it everyday up until around 2003-04 timeframe. I used to use it on my Original Palm Pro, then on a a couple of Pocket PC's and finally on a Palm TX (which I gave to my wife, she uses it now to read mobi formated books and play solitaire).

I'll sync one last time for old time sake (my account is still active). Avantgo was a great service in it's day. It will be remembered fondly.
sirhunter2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Well, I guess I can give up being annoyed that I couldn't use AvantGo with my N800

I'll be sad to see it go.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I also used it to sync information on my Toshiba E155 PDA that I still have. I guess I'll just have to throw that sucker away now, or donate it to a Peruvian Goodwill Society.

I'll have a Pisco Sour tonight with my Lomo Saltado, and sing a song of days gone by, as I toast the world with a weary sigh...

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Pocket PC Thoughts is reporting that AvantGo is being retired. I'd say this is just a sign of the progress made with availability of mobile content on the web. For some strange reason, even though I haven't used it in years, I'm still sad to see it go. I used it heavily when I first started syncing content from the web to my PDA many years ago. I remember it fondly for the service provided in those early days of mobile web content.
Just how is Avantgo's demise progress? You make it sound antiquated or inferior when it isn't. I have used it for years. It is great for aggregating news for reading on the go. Oh well, there is still iSilo.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Just how is Avantgo's demise progress? You make it sound antiquated or inferior when it isn't. I have used it for years. It is great for aggregating news for reading on the go. Oh well, there is still iSilo.

The way I read his sentence is that the integration of RSS feeds has contributed to the demise of Avantgo. Sort of like when I graduated from my Kaypro II computer (using CP/M) in the early 1980s to my Macintosh "Fat Mac" with a whopping 128 megs of ram and a smaller-sized diskette (that'll never be accepted! -hahaha!) and - GOOD GOD! - a graphical interface.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #14
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The way I read his sentence is that the integration of RSS feeds has contributed to the demise of Avantgo. Sort of like when I graduated from my Kaypro II computer (using CP/M) in the early 1980s to my Macintosh "Fat Mac" with a whopping 128 megs of ram and a smaller-sized diskette (that'll never be accepted! -hahaha!) and - GOOD GOD! - a graphical interface.

Don
Bob did quote an announcement from someone who thinks data plans have replaced Avantgo type readers. That may be true of some people but not all. Even then the network is not accessible every where, such as a previous poster said, the underground. So in that sense they are indeed inferior.

However, quite bluntly, most RSS feeds suck and they never lived up to their expectations. Very few of them carry full articles, most just listing a sentence or two. Besides, Avantgo could read RSS feeds too.

Last edited by akira28; 06-07-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
You're getting your units mixed up again, Don .

The "Fat Mac" had 512 kilobytes of RAM. It was an upgrade to the original Mac which had 128k.

A Mac with 128MB of RAM back in the '80s would indeed have been something to boast about .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote