Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
ckriel
ckriel began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Reader / Memory Card / Vista problem

Hi, I'm new here, and have been lurking a bit, but am now in need of help.

I've been using a PRS-700 since mid-November on a Vista Premium Home Edition PC. I use a memory card on my Reader, and store most of my books there.

Today I decided to try out the MP3 function, so I loaded a few tracks on the Card via the Library software (they wouldn't play, btw).

When I connected the Reader and the PC again, Vista decided to create a relationship between Windows Media Player and the Reader. I suspect the MP3s did that.

Panic #1: I started the Library software, and it could no longer see the Card.

Panic #2: The PC couldn't see the card either.

Panic #3: I tried hooking the Reader up to my Mac, and it can't see the card.

I then took the card out and formatted it on the PC, and copied three non-DRM'd books on to the card (using Vista) and put it back in the Reader. (BTW, Library saw the Card when it was in the PC, but wouldn't let me copy to it.)

No dice. The Reader can no longer see the Memory Card, and the PC, Mac, and Library cannot see the Card.

I would take it back to the shop, but I'm UK based, and bought it in the US.

Help?
ckriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
ckriel

UPDATE:

Solution: reset the device. It now works, but I lost pages and pages of notes.

Note to Sony: if you want the masses to pick up on your new product, don't make grandpa crash the book. Frustrated.

I now see why Kindle is potentially such an elegant solution - no *^%&* Windows computer between me and my ebook.
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
ckriel, welcome to mobileread. I take it from your post, you are 'mature'

You will find lots of helpful hints here and friendly people to guide you thru the problems you may encounter.

Enjoy!

You've looked at our books here, right?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
ckriel

DG

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, I'm not 'mature', but I'm working on it.

UPDATE 2:

'Reset' was a temporary fix. All went back to normal, and both Library and ADE could see the Card. But then I thought, hell with it, I'm installing Calibre.

Calibre couldn't see the 700, and since that installation, whenever I hook the Reader back up to the PC, it cannot see the Card. And I have to reset the Reader to get it to see the Card. But then the PC sets it back again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr...
Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckriel View Post
DG

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately, I'm not 'mature', but I'm working on it.
Ooops, sorry. You mentioned "grandpa".......so I assumed, which we all know what that means.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert