Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
I wil probably take a day off to port OpenOffice to the Iliad
unfortunally not really, AFAIK the iLiad has by far not the processing power nor the memory to run OpenOffice. It needs a dedictated minimalistic suite.

Also I'm not a big fan for simply porting desktop style application onto the iLiad. They just don't feel right. IMHO the iLiad should give one a feeling of "active paper" instead the feeling of being a traditional computer.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
We need someone to write documentation
I could probably help with that.
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #18
JamesT
JamesT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=13822#13822

iRex has agreed to release their sources!!!

I fully intend to head up the project of organizing everything, and will try my hand at documentation.
Hi AdamB

Thought I would pop over from the iRex Forum to this Forum to see what is going on!

Good luck in your new project! If you need anyone to help try out anything as a regular Joe user please let me know!
JamesT
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #19
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago View Post
Karel made the following statement over at the irex forum:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2854&start=165
Unfortunately Karel's words don't hold much value to me historicly...
Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #20
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Unfortunately Karel's words don't hold much value to me historicly...
Let's wait and hope... and not get personal... We can always get angry afterwards...
I think that IF there are problems about releasing the sources, it will be legal stuff like 'non disclosure agreements'...
or programmers may have to walk through the code to remove comments that reveal where they have pasted it from...
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Excellent! I can't help too much with the project in the near term-- my current graduate classes are keeping me completely swamped-- but I hope to be able to help in the future. I don't code very quickly, but I'm good at documentation, testing, and wiki-fu.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
How about just flooding the forum where he made the observation ... or someone could just post the link to this thread over there.
I missed the annoucement, mainly because the thread was very frustrating and I had given up at that point. I would caution people that Karel said that this is "looking into the possibility" so I wouldn't expect much to happen for a bit...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #23
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
See this post.

They've agreed to release the "remaining sources". So we'll have to wait and see what that includes. I wonder if they'll released the eink controller driver...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #24
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
See this post.

They've agreed to release the "remaining sources". So we'll have to wait and see what that includes. I wonder if they'll released the eink controller driver...
Even better news then -- but still "another week or so". Isn't the e-ink driver proprietary...? It would be handy if they did, but I think this could be a revenue generator for them...?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Sweet... I'm totally psyched. First up, opening multiple documents at the same time in the ContentLister! I also want to see a few things about how the battery driver works.

Still, sounds like it'll be a while before we actually see the source code. If we get more details in a couple of weeks then they probably won't release the source for a month or more.

That is actually a good thing for me, otherwise I'd never get my thesis done!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #26
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Good news indeed...if it really gives our devs all the code they need for a complete Iliad makeover...^^
Old 10-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #27
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker
To summarize it here, basically what happens is this: there's a proprietary kernel module button.o that handles the hardware side and is accessed through /dev/buttons. The ContentLister checks for button presses ten times per second by sending an ioctl to /dev/buttons, which the kernel module returns with the most recent button code. ContentLister decides what to do with the button press, either keeping it or passing it on to the X system as a standard keypress using (according to Matthijs) XSendEvent.
Does that mean that, once "we" have access to the whole thing, the folder buttons could be reassigned to different functions while reading a PDF?
I'm thinking of this mostly because currently there is no real way to add (button-requiring) features to the different iPDF viewers, and I'd really like it if there could be "next/previous bookmark" buttons added to (Mike's is which i use most) iPDF version. (since (in-file) bookmark support is what I miss most)
I noticed the DR1000 has that feature assigned to some of the buttons, so I was/am hoping something similar could be put in the iLiad's version.
(I don't really use the immediate-switch-to-folder-view feature offered by those buttons very often, so having to press "quit" before being able to go to another folder would be well worth it to me.)
The other 2 buttons could be assigned to "back/forward" in the 'browsing history', and it'd be one cool iPDF viewer :P
Old 10-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Does that mean that, once "we" have access to the whole thing, the folder buttons could be reassigned to different functions while reading a PDF?
This would be a helpful for several apps (e.g. FBReader). There is no good reason why the folder buttons have to be dedicated to this task, and the cost of decoupling them would be one extra button press and page refresh when switching folders.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #29
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Well, all buttons EXCEPT the folder buttons can be reassigned right now if you like. It's also possible to make the "back/forward link" icons work for bookmarks instead. Is there any reason that the up/down arrow buttons wouldn't do the trick? Then you could make the changes to ipdf without needing any more source code access.

For my own purposes I'm thinking the folder buttons are better off stopped at the ContentLister level, because it's a little more consistent from a UI standpoint...
Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #30
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
well, i like the up/down the way they are now (as "go to previous/next page containing scribbles")
Closed Thread