Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you spend more time with your tablet or your laptop?
Tablet 37 35.58%
Laptop 59 56.73%
About the same 8 7.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #61
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
[QUOTE=Purple Lady;3443526]Me too on both counts

Me three. I 'actively' interact most with my ipad. However, I do have my cds burned to my laptop, so it plays music quietly in the background via Bluetooth to a speaker, when I'm using my kindle. I can go a few weeks without picking up my laptop, but I'd feel lost without my kindle and a tablet.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #62
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've voted for "laptop", but I took it to mean "computer"; so including the desktop.

I only use my tablet for browsing sites, watching youtube (reviews, mostly), and reading PDF's. Everything else I either do on the laptop or desktop.

I take the "computer/laptop is dead, everything's going mobile" with a big grain of salt. Maybe it's true for the casual user, but people who need the computing power of a laptop, er even a desktop, are not going to make due with a phone or a tablet.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #63
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
A son gave me a very nice Samsung Tablet. My wife now uses it. She also took over my Kindle Keyboard 3G which then broke and was replaced by a Fire. She also has a laptop and a big screen phone which she uses and is alerted to all the above by one of those new gadgets on her wrist.

I still intend to replace the screen on the Kindle because I like the 3G which worked anywhere, but until then my big (and old) desktop and my Chrome laptop are doing the job. I am now planning to set up Alexa to read to me
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do spend more time on my laptop than my iPad. I have a 4th generation iPad but I find I do more with my laptop than my iPad. I do use my iPad, just not as much as the laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #65
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Desktop > Phone > Kindle. There was a time when I used a tablet daily, but between the Kindle taking over reading and getting a smartphone with solid performance and a good screen, my last tablet died quietly in a corner without me noticing. The only laptop I've owned that ever got any use was a netbook, which is where I started e-reading before tablets really got going.

Granted, like Apache I'm a gamer (though not much FPS), so I'm going to have a good desktop regardless, and everything else is optional. Reading and audiobooks are also high priorities, and my phone is as capable in the first regard and moreso in the second than any tablet I've used (and the Kindle is far preferable for reading). I do despair of finding a phone with nearly as good speakers as my old HTC One M8, which is getting a bit long in the tooth.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm seldom on my laptop. Maybe once a week. I'm mostly use my phone first and my tablet second. I can do almost everything on them.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #67
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Since adding a Logitech Type+ keyboard to my iPad Air 2, I spend more time on that, than either the laptop or desktop. I'm beginning to wonder if I really need either of them. I read on my phone and do nearly everything else on the iPad, even photo editing. Seriously considering trading my iPad, iPad mini, and laptop, for an iPad Pro 13" with a Logitech keyboard and the Apple Pencil.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #68
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My tablet is my go to device. I don't need to do any word processing or accounting at home. I am reading, surfing the web, checking email and playing Euro Games on my tablet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #69
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Tablet sees most usage. I use the laptop for papers for school.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #70
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After all of my "I only need a desktop and a phone" talk, I've been browsing tablets on Amazon all morning :P

Several Lenovo models have my attention. They just refreshed their projector tablet with better hardware, though there are virtually no reviews yet. I'm also looking at some of their 2-in-1s, including the Yoga Book which looks to have great note-taking and line drawing functionality. Their 12" Windows 2-in-1s are tempting, too - I like the larger format for comics.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Their 12" Windows 2-in-1s are tempting, too - I like the larger format for comics.
I keep threatening to buy a 12/13" tablet to read comics on, but so far my internal accountant has won the battle.

I'd also like to try a Windows tablet, but the last time I checked, the Windows 10 comic readers just aren't as nice as Android's comic readers.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #72
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I keep threatening to buy a 12/13" tablet to read comics on, but so far my internal accountant has won the battle.

I'd also like to try a Windows tablet, but the last time I checked, the Windows 10 comic readers just aren't as nice as Android's comic readers.
CDisplayEx along with Comixology & Hoopla browser interfaces should git 'er done, but I am leaning toward the 10" Androids. The Yoga Tab 3 Pro is appealing, but not likely to get much support on XDA if I find Lenovo's skin and bloatware insufferable. I could see the projector being serviceable as a bedroom TV, on the rare occasions I want such a thing. The Sony Z4 gets good reviews for display quality and responsiveness, and is super lightweight, but also a bit fragile. A 128GB iPad would actually be cheaper than either of those, but with the smaller, 4:3 screen and theoretically weaker hardware, but better optimized. Both those Android tablets also have solid speakers, which I don't think is a strength of the iPad. I'm not much concerned about expandable storage anymore, and doubt I would much miss my Android app/game library.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
CDisplayEx along with Comixology & Hoopla browser interfaces should git 'er done, but I am leaning toward the 10" Androids.
How does CDisplayEx or Comixology reader respond to touch only interface? I've tried looking, but haven't found much

Quote:
The Yoga Tab 3 Pro is appealing, but not likely to get much support on XDA if I find Lenovo's skin and bloatware insufferable. I could see the projector being serviceable as a bedroom TV, on the rare occasions I want such a thing. The Sony Z4 gets good reviews for display quality and responsiveness, and is super lightweight, but also a bit fragile.
I have a Lenovo A10 Tab2 and there's very little Lenovo skinning or bloat on it (there is some). Not sure how true that is across the rest of the Lenovo line though.

The Tab2 is quite nice. But I only want a cheapie tablet with a nice screen (1920x1200) for comic reading. Sounds like you're planning to do a bit more than me.

Quote:
A 128GB iPad would actually be cheaper than either of those, but with the smaller, 4:3 screen and theoretically weaker hardware, but better optimized. Both those Android tablets also have solid speakers, which I don't think is a strength of the iPad. I'm not much concerned about expandable storage anymore, and doubt I would much miss my Android app/game library.
I prefer Android to Apple, but from what I can remember, a 4:3 screen is closer to traditional comic page dimensions than 16:10. So comics on an iPad fit the screen better. Don't ask me to back that up with actual facts. There's many nerd arguments about it on the interwebs.

I haven't been crazy about the iOS comic reader apps I've seen as compared with Perfect Viewer and Challenger on Android. But I haven't spent a lot of time with them and of course YMMV.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #74
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
How does CDisplayEx or Comixology reader respond to touch only interface? I've tried looking, but haven't found much
Probably fine? There's no dedicated Windows Store Comixology app, but as long as you can go full screen in a browser and there's some kind of reliable "next" tap, you're pretty well set.

Quote:
The Tab2 is quite nice. But I only want a cheapie tablet with a nice screen (1920x1200) for comic reading. Sounds like you're planning to do a bit more than me.
The display is the thing. I would find it hard to step down to FHD, and would also like something close to full page size (if not larger!) but not too big to juggle between orientations for splash pages. I'm drawing the line at 2xHD with good display reviews (Sony Z4). If it has some other functionality I'm missing, like a bedroom TV (Tab 3 Pro), a sketch/note pad (Yoga Book), or less sexily, Excel viability for work (a 2-in-1), that just makes the expense a bit more defensible. The rationale for a not-phone, not-PC device has dwindled since I bought my previous tablets, but a throw-away Fire or the like would have negative value.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #75
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Depends -

If I want to do necessary paperwork, Linux desktop. Edit photos - Windows desktop. Crafts - offline XP desktop. (legacy software)

General web use - laptop. Buy apps from Google Play, laptop. Buy books from independents - laptop. USB and/or card work.

Prefer using laptop over android as I can run NoScript and many other "noes" in the browser. I can also get the TAR files for the same browsers in Linux. I don't run the big 3. I use clones.

Watch baseball - tablet
Some educational videos for crafts - tablet

read - use inkBOOK. I find using anything larger than 6 inches distracting. That fits into the size of most paperbacks. Even a 10 inch tablet feels too big.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote